Thread: Chromograph process study

Thanks

Default Chromograph process study

I’ve never done an ink chromograph before, but decided it was time I learn the process. No doubt this is all old information for the pros that hang around here, but just in case someone else like me didn’t know, here’s what I learned. Disclaimer: I have NO scientific background.

Liquid Medium: I read that water is the most common, but isopropyl alcohol is even better. One blogger suggested part water part isopropyl was in fact the best. I used coffee filters as the paper medium for all three of these:

Diamine Aurora Borealis

This is going to shock some people, but I am starting to think not everything you read on the internet is true 😊. You can see from these samples the more isopropyl the less separation of color occurred. You could make the case the isopropyl keeps the spectrum together better, but without a lot of magnification I found it hard to break down the colors from the isopropyl trial.

Paper Medium: Once again conflicting recommendations abound. Lots of folks do their test on a damp paper towel. Some say a cone coffee filter (which is much thicker than a basket filter) is the perfect density. Others say you only get true results with scientific grade filter medium. So, for this test I used all three – coffee filter, 8-10 microns pure cellulose scientific filter paper, and a paper towel:

Krishna Sea & Storm

To one degree or another I feel like all three did about the same job of pulling and displaying the underlining ink colors. But to my eye, the refined texture of the scientific filter paper makes the coloration stay together better and makes it easier to pick out. The bottom line for me is it all works, and really becomes a matter of personal preference, and what you happen to have around.

Speaking of, so many of you here on the forum have been so helpful to me. I’ve gained an amazing amount of knowledge from your kindness and sharing. So perhaps I can share a little something back. If anyone here would like to try that scientific filter paper, I would be happy to mail you a half sheet (it’s what fits a standard envelope without folding.) It won’t be a huge amount of filter, but you can probably cut a half dozen test strips from it. No charge, no obligation, just PM me your mailing address and I’ll get it on its way to you.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to tooth For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

AzJon (September 21st, 2020), azkid (September 20th, 2020), catbert (September 19th, 2020), DrPenfection (November 12th, 2021), mreeveshp (September 16th, 2021), PenInvestigations (November 16th, 2021), Pterodactylus (September 19th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (September 19th, 2020), Schaumburg_Swan (September 16th, 2021), Scrawler (March 10th, 2023), Yazeh (September 21st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Chromograph process study

Thanks for that.

It's interesting to see that I don't need to buy/waste any isopropyl alcohol in order to do all of my chroma testing. I always use water and strips of kitchen towel and get decent separation of all of the dyes in the ink that's good enough for my purposes. Coffee filter paper works too but sometimes the strip isn't long enough.

I have Superclips in two sizes and they hold all of my strips together. With kitchen towel, I also have enough room to write the ink brand/name low enough to read it below the clip.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

AzJon (September 21st, 2020), Yazeh (September 19th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Wow really cool and interesting. I've never done this kind of test before. Glad to see it doesn't require fancy stuff to do. I notice yellow on two of the three strips above but not on the scientific paper. Wonder what that's about?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    ... I notice yellow on two of the three strips above but not on the scientific paper. Wonder what that's about?
    I had the same thought. Perhaps compounds in the food grade papers that ink brings out?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tooth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    ... I notice yellow on two of the three strips above but not on the scientific paper. Wonder what that's about?
    I had the same thought. Perhaps compounds in the food grade papers that ink brings out?
    Oh, I hadn't even noticed that. Good observation.

I've only dabbled with this on and off, but fwiw blotting paper and water have been my weapons of choice.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks

Very interesting post, I use coffee filters just because I like the look a little better than paper towels though they work perfectly fine. I've kept all mine with the name of the ink written on each strip so I can go back and compare different ones. I just do it with coffee filters cause that's how it was shown on a video when I researched how to do it.

I really like the look of the scientific filter paper, probably the best, I'd probably would have used them but I've never heard of them. They seem to pull the colors out where you can clearly define the colors easier. I hope to be able to try them one day.

Very interesting post and thank you for the information

Thanks
    mreeveshp

Thanks

Your information interested me only I like paper books more. And I even dream of writing my own book, a short novel for a narrow audience of readers. I have already written so many scholarship essays for nursing in my college that I feel like my writing skills have gotten stronger and with a few more years of practice I can seriously and confidently start pursuing my book dream.
    Last edited by Mık Joger; March 10th, 2023 at 04:16 AM.