Thread: Question about pen value

Thanks

Default Question about pen value

Hello,
    I have a 2 year old or so Montblanc Steinway edition, never used, with box and documents. I am not a pen person, and would like to sell it. Can someone please tell me it's approx value and how to go about selling it? I believe it retailed for $2800 originally.
    Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Question about pen value

It's not that old. From 2014 I believe, so it certainly won't be worth more than it's original price. You could try ebay if you have a long standing selling ID for similar items. Or you could try asking an online pen seller to sell it for you. That depends on where in the world you are and whether you have online pen sellers who will accept pens to sell for customers on a commission basis.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    It's not that old. From 2014 I believe, so it certainly won't be worth more than it's original price. You could try ebay if you have a long standing selling ID for similar items. Or you could try asking an online pen seller to sell it for you. That depends on where in the world you are and whether you have online pen sellers who will accept pens to sell for customers on a commission basis.
    Thank you, Chrissy I am in Los Angeles and live close to the jewelry district. Might try there first. I certainly wasn't thinking of selling it for MSRP although that would be nice. I searched and there are still several new ones being sold at that price.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Do a search on eBay for your pen, used pens only, completed sales only.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by orys View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Thank you, Chrissy I am in Los Angeles and live close to the jewelry district. Might try there first. I certainly wasn't thinking of selling it for MSRP although that would be nice. I searched and there are still several new ones being sold at that price.
    There will be a great difference in what prices they are being advertised for and what prices they actually sell for.
    If you do an ebay search as Fred suggests for sold items you might get a better idea.
    In the event that you pass it onto a source to sell it for you then you will only get a percentage of what they sell it for.
    The thing about trying to sell a pen like this is that's new enough to still be available from Montblanc or their boutiques and resellers, and they might be introducing special offer prices on them at certain times of the year.

Edit: I checked on ebay. Within the UK one has sold since August, within it's originally sealed box, for it's issue price.
    Last edited by Chrissy; September 23rd, 2020 at 01:11 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens