Thread: Mead 5-Star Reinforced Loose Leaf Paper

Thanks

Thumbs up Mead 5-Star Reinforced Loose Leaf Paper

Recently I have been using Mead 5-Star Reinforced Loose Leaf Paper for daily uses. I specifically use the graph ruled paper, though college ruled paper is also available in this line. What makes this paper different from many other mass market American loose leaf papers is that it is very fountain pen friendly! It is a 20lb paper with tooth on the low end of moderate (my subjective opinion). The tooth is less than that I find in Tops Docket or Docket Gold. The tooth is consistent through out the sheet and sheet to sheet. The paper accepts fountain pen ink well. I use TWSBI Eco 1.1mm stub pens for most of my writing. They have a fairly wet nib with my inks - Noodler's and Diamine. The ink behaves very well on the page showing only slight feathering if you leave the nib in place too long. Otherwise I see no feathering even with my wet nibs. The paper is a 20lb weight and the 3 holes punched in the paper are reinforced with a tape strip down the back of the paper. A very sturdy product made to withstand college student use. The price is very good considering the level of performance at ~ 3.5 cents (USA) per sheet. All but the very fastest flowing inks will allow writing on both sides of the sheet. Remember I am using wet stubs so a medium or fine probably will not show at all or very minimally. No bleed through with even a fast flowing ink like Diamine Teal though it did show through in places. Noodler's Luxury Blue and Marine Green show through was low and did not interfere with writing on both sides. It is now my favorite daily user replacing Tops Docket in that role because of Docket's greater tooth and higher cost. I also use Meade 5-Star Reinforced paper for graphing using Pilot Frixion markers or a Cross Morph with a broad ball point. It performs well with either of those products also. Overall, a very nice daily use type of paper.

The only con I can can see is that the Meade website makes no mention of it being archival so I would assume it is not. For a daily use paper, for me, this is not an issue. I have had some of it around for about a year and see no problems so far. What will it be like 10 years from now, can't say? Though from the quality, and past Meade experience, I suspect it will hold up fine with some yellowing.

Pictures below. On the reverse shot remember that picture flash makes the 'show through' look worse than it does to the eye.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Armstrong For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (December 11th, 2016), bill.davis (October 6th, 2016), Dragonmaster Lou (October 4th, 2016), EHV (October 6th, 2016), Jerome Tarshis (November 11th, 2016), kenshiro (October 5th, 2016), laurielindly (October 3rd, 2016), R.A. Stewart (May 5th, 2023)

Thanks

Default Re: Mead 5-Star Reinforced Loose Leaf Paper

Thanks!

Thanks

Thank you - just what I've been looking for! Printing lines onto 24-30lb copy paper was getting spendy.
    On the Hunt For:
    1) Atelier Simoni ID Demonstrator Natural Rhodium (As if it existed.)
    2) Moresi 2nd Limited Edition Delta Demonstrator
    3) y.y. Pen Club #4 and #10

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kenshiro For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (December 11th, 2016)

Thanks

Yeah, printer ink is like gold these days. Glad I could help. Tops Docket tablets and notebooks also work well but have a little more tooth than this paper.
    Last edited by Armstrong; October 5th, 2016 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks

Cleaning equipment is essential for keeping our homes and workplaces clean and hygienic. However, just like any other piece of equipment, cleaning equipment can wear out over time if it's not maintained properly. look here