Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snorkel Repair Advice

Thanks

Default Re: Snorkel Repair Advice

When I have rusted metal internal parts, I soak them submerged in pentrating oil for 2-3 days. Kroil and Corrosion-X Aviation are my 2 favorites, but even liquid wrench or 3-in-1 oil (do they still make that?) will work. Anything still attached gets the wire brush treatment and a re-soak. When you are done, you WILL have an oil film on the parts that you have to get off. Soapy water, a toothbrush and drying with a cloth will work. You know it is clean when you can plop it in clean water and get no oil sheen. (Don't forget to dry it again afterwards.) You might be amazed at what looks to be nothing but rusted garbage becomes serviceable. By far more effort is spent getting the oil off than getting the rust off.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeph For This Useful Post:

Tony Rex (August 28th, 2013)

Thanks

My usual approach to a spring in that state is to get the loose rust off, then get a film of silicone grease onto it to prevent further problems; Jeph's approach is probably better but sounds like a LOT of work. The other rust you're seeing is likely transfer from the spring, and will come away under the effects of running water and a paper towel to dry out.

It's a little late now, but when getting old sac out of the protector, leaving it sit in rubbing alcohol partially dissolves the rubber and makes removal a lot easier.
    Given to daily lunatic raving, but also capable of more prolonged pen-centricity.

Thanks

For the sac protector and other non treated metal items, I like to apply metal polish to the item, snip one end of a cotton bud off, put the rest in a wee mini drill, and polish the rust off. After checking all the polish is removed using a fresh cotton bud, I wash them out with soapy water and dry them. Here's a before and after shot of a Summit J bar.

I like to put silicon grease on the Snorkel spring like Ernst does, using an unpowdered latex glove to rub in a thin film.
    Last edited by Flounder; August 28th, 2013 at 10:50 AM.
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flounder For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (August 28th, 2013), Jeph (August 29th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ernst Bitterman View Post
    The other rust you're seeing is likely transfer from the spring, and will come away under the effects of running water and a paper towel to dry out.

It's a little late now, but when getting old sac out of the protector, leaving it sit in rubbing alcohol partially dissolves the rubber and makes removal a lot easier.
    I think that most of the rust on the sac protector is transfer from the spring, but the darkest spot on the side view is definitely rusty protector. I haven't gotten far enough along to take the sac out of this one yet, so there is still time to try the rubbing alcohol. This one seems just as petrified as the last one .