Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a Good Pelikan?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Default Re: What is a Good Pelikan?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    I do the modern M800 nib. It is stiff, and doesn't have the same character as the vintage Pelikans. On the other hand, it feels very business-like and is great for fast writing.
    My writing always ends up half-fast.
    I don't like to do anything halfway.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    I don't like to do anything halfway.
    Heh. I didn't say I like it, just that it... is. cocktail.gif
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

A good Pelikan is the one you are holding in your hand, and enjoy writing with!
    "When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

Owner-
    http://federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)
    (5% Discount for FPG Members! Use Code "FPG" at checkout!)

Follow store/forum at
    Linked-In!
    Like Us on
    Facebook !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    I agree with those who suggested the M800 tortoise--it's such a gorgeous pen. The M1000 is indeed large, but it would feel quite at home next to some of your Viscontis; the nib is springy as well, which I like much better than the stiffer M8xx nibs.

Unfortunately, vintage Pelikans are relatively small (especially if you're used to oversized modern pens). But if you could handle an M400NN, for example, the nib might very well be worth a compromise on size. A vintage Pelikan broad nib or OB nib can't be beat; they're stubbish, usually flexible, and are delightful to write with. Some of my favorite nibs.
    I agree with Reprieve's point on M100 size being a huge pen with a springy nib, I like it much better than my M800 nib.

Also, on the vintage OB nibs, they are unbeatable. I thought I would only use the F nib for all my Peli pens, but I was blown away when I got a vintage 400 OB nib. It is so awesome that I couldn't put down my pen. The good news is M400 and M600 nibs can be swapped between the two models.

See the pictures below (quick snapped from my phone, sorry about the quality). Pelikan 620 with its original modern two tone M600 nib, and Pelikan 200 clear demo with a single tone vintage 400 OB nib. Then I switched the nibs in these pens, they fit perfectly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gentlyom For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (July 15th, 2013)

Thanks

Tracy, Pelikan M800 brown tortoise which is best choice. This is a 2013 LE Souveran. But if you want the flex nib, go for the vintage Pelikans.
    Last edited by john; July 15th, 2013 at 07:23 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Y'all have been so helpful on this question. I am armed with great information now that will help me see what I can find. Thank you sooooo much!!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    I agree with those who suggested the M800 tortoise--it's such a gorgeous pen. The M1000 is indeed large, but it would feel quite at home next to some of your Viscontis; the nib is springy as well, which I like much better than the stiffer M8xx nibs.

Unfortunately, vintage Pelikans are relatively small (especially if you're used to oversized modern pens). But if you could handle an M400NN, for example, the nib might very well be worth a compromise on size. A vintage Pelikan broad nib or OB nib can't be beat; they're stubbish, usually flexible, and are delightful to write with. Some of my favorite nibs.
    Yes, Pelikan 400NN is a great writer, I'm planning to buy a few pieces more. The flexible nibs are awesome.

Thanks

This photo is an excellent example why I don't own a drawer full of Pelikans. Note how much more space there is between the threads on the Twisbi grip section compared to the extra short distance on the Pelikan! While the diameter of the pen gets larger as the numbers go up that distance doesn't change much. Having to hold a pen on the threads doesn't bother some people though. At least at the pen show you will be able to hold it before you buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    A different size comparison:

I don't have an M800 cause it is just too big and heavy for my hand, but I do have a TWSBI 540 which I'm told is similar in size (less metal so likely lighter though). The TWSBI at least isn't really usable with the cap posted, WAY too back heavy so the M400 is really USEABLY the same size:

Untitled by JoAndRoses, on Flickr

And crappy picture but here they are both posted. There is a big size difference here:

Untitled by JoAndRoses, on Flickr

So there's that. Not sure if that helps or not. I think once you get your hands on some of the smaller Pelis you might be surprised just how comfy and useable they are.

Thanks

Kenmc, that's a constant gripe of mine too! I can get by holding pens that low but prefer gripping them a bit higher up on the section.
    I'm planning on putting up with it since I like Pelikans, but I wish more pen companies would make the sections longer (so far, other
    than TWSBI, Aurora and Waterman have long sections, I think Dupont and Faber-Castell do too). I've found that one solution is either
    have your grip overlap with the threads, which doesn't hurt, or many people grip the pen barrel just past the threads (not a problem if
    the pen barrel diameter is small like the M400).

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

I promised myself an m800 for finishing writing a novel. The novel is done, but I can't bring myself to spend the money.

I will say that the m200 demonstrator is pretty nice. The only drawback so far is that it was stained slightly by Iroshizuku Yama-budo. Nevertheless, it has some flex, it works well, and it feels all right in the hand.

Thanks

Majesty and Ductus have long section.
    Last edited by Tony Rex; July 17th, 2013 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Removed irate tone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Rex View Post
    Majesty and Ductus have long section.
    Oh really, I will have to try the Ductus. Thanks for mentioning it.

Thanks

Ductus is a converter pen and different nib.

Thanks

Because a bad proposition deserves another. If you put the stress point so far out people will complaint about cracking. No matter how big the cap band is normal stress will always crack the plastic, either on the cap or the barrel. Unless everything is made of metal, like the Ductus or Majesty and other similar design such as GvFC Classic.

I'm no Pelikan apologist, but I like them simply because they learn from experience and keep the tradition alive. Their design evolve though that, and not from fad whims.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Because a bad proposition deserves another. If you put the stress point so far out people will complaint about cracking. No matter how big the cap band is normal stress will always crack the plastic, either on the cap or the barrel. Unless everything is made of metal, like the Ductus or Majesty and other similar design such as GvFC Classic.

I'm no Pelikan apologist, but I like them simply because they learn from experience and keep the tradition alive. Their design evolve though that, and not from fad whims.
    Agreed. I have small hands so the size of the section doesn't bother me. And I find the Pelikan threads pretty darn forgiving, I honestly don't notice them and couldn't tell you if they touch my fingers or hand while using the pen. The pens are so light and well balanced and fit my hand so well I honestly don't know. They are just so darn CONSISTENT. From my 400NN that's 60 years old ot my brand new 400 white tortoise. They could have been made the same day as each other. THAT keeps me coming back to Pelikan.

Hmm, is this part of the TWSBI cracking problem? I'd assumed it was just the clear plastic, but perhaps design plays into it as well?
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Agreed. I have small hands so the size of the section doesn't bother me. And I find the Pelikan threads pretty darn forgiving, I honestly don't notice them and couldn't tell you if they touch my fingers or hand while using the pen. The pens are so light and well balanced and fit my hand so well I honestly don't know. They are just so darn CONSISTENT. From my 400NN that's 60 years old ot my brand new 400 white tortoise. They could have been made the same day as each other. THAT keeps me coming back to Pelikan.

Hmm, is this part of the TWSBI cracking problem? I'd assumed it was just the clear plastic, but perhaps design plays into it as well?
    I was looking at a 400NN today from 1959, which is at least to me a good year (hint) - fine nibPE3065:1959 Pelikan 400NN in green stripe. Excellent condition with a semi-flexible Fine nib. $205.00 would that be a good pelikan?
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks

The 400NN is a VERY good Pelikan. But then most of them are. The fine nib will not be silky smooth on the paper, or at least likely isn't. The 50s era nibs did not have the large iridium ball tips of today's nibs. Instead they had small amounts of very flat iridium. So the finer the nib the more "sharp" it will feel. That doesn't mean it isn't a good nib, just don't expect a ROUND writing tip. Just don't flex the nib too much. Those nibs can give very nice minor line variation

The very BEST of the nibs from that era is probably the OBB. If you can find one you WILL pay a premium for it, but it pretty much superior to anything else I've ever written with. (I mean that.)
    ---

Thanks

The 400NN is a VERY good Pelikan. But then most of them are. The fine nib will not be silky smooth on the paper, or at least likely isn't. The 50s era nibs did not have the large iridium ball tips of today's nibs. Instead they had small amounts of very flat iridium. So the finer the nib the more "sharp" it will feel. That doesn't mean it isn't a good nib, just don't expect a ROUND writing tip. Just don't flex the nib too much. Those nibs can give very nice minor line variation

The very BEST of the nibs from that era is probably the OBB. If you can find one you WILL pay a premium for it, but it pretty much superior to anything else I've ever written with. (I mean that.)
    Ok, thank you - I am not so much interested in flex, a little is nice but not an issue, what is an issue is that today's medium nibs tend to be too wide - I cramp my writing, should have been a lefty, anyway a medium puts down too much ink and is too wide for everyday writing cwood826.wordpress.com shows a sample of my writing. I am at the point that I want one good pen in the 150 - 200 range. so I am looking, I like the idea of a pen from 1959.

Cwood
    Cw

That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks

The fine may work really well for you if your writing is small. Big nibs have actually trained me to write larger so can't help much there!
    ---

Thanks

@tandaina

Thanks for the input - I don't have a store or show close by to try different pens -- so many choices........
    Cw

That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain