Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is a Good Pelikan?

Thanks

Default Re: What is a Good Pelikan?

Quote Originally Posted by Waski_the_Squirrel View Post
    I promised myself an m800 for finishing writing a novel. The novel is done, but I can't bring myself to spend the money.

I will say that the m200 demonstrator is pretty nice. The only drawback so far is that it was stained slightly by Iroshizuku Yama-budo. Nevertheless, it has some flex, it works well, and it feels all right in the hand.
    How much is your budget? Why not go for a 2nd hand? Brand new, you could find great deals for $350 (even less) if you wait for an auction.. (eBay)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    It is a shame you aren't interested in vintage, though. While the modern pens are well-made, the nibs from the earlier eras can't be beat. Since you are going to the DC show, I'd be surprised if Rick Propas wasn't there. Be sure to see him and his pens, and talk to him about your options. I don't think there is anyone who knows more about Pels, both modern and vintage.

Eh, no matter what you get, it's gonna be nice.
    In answer to Jon, I am going to be in DC and I do have a few tortoise M800s remaining. I'd expect them to go fast. Not to break any forum rules (I hope) but if anyone wants to reserve one at the sale price listed on my website, give me a shout.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rick propas For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 19th, 2013), Tracy Lee (July 18th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    Hmm, is this part of the TWSBI cracking problem? I'd assumed it was just the clear plastic, but perhaps design plays into it as well?
    Hmm, I think it has more to do with what it's made of and who is making it.
    I don't know how long Pelikan has been making pens but Aurora has been at it since 1919 and they make the big 88 and optima with plenty of room for large fingers.
    If the threads cut into the section are vulnerable to stress the farther the cap threads are from the nib section the better to prevent cutting threads inside and outside at the same area.

Thanks

You could also look for the M600 White Tortoise. Its a beautiful pen and a pretty good size. Though, it may not be oversized it is certainly a large pen and very comfortable. I have one 600, the 605 blue with silver trims that I find incredibly comfortable to use as it finds comfortably in my large size pens and its not too heavy, not too light.

Thanks

One group of Pelikans to consider are the M625 (I think they are M625s) Cities series pens. Stockholm, Berlin, etc. These are some beautiful and modern Pelikans, and they are colorful.

http://www.nibs.com/PelikanCitySeries.html

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Frank (July 22nd, 2013), Tracy Lee (July 20th, 2013)

Thanks

Tracy, there's another great choice for you , the Pelikan M1000 Raden Starlight.
    pelikan-m1000-maki-e-kyokko-sunlight-raden-uncapped.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Oh wow, that is really different looking! Added it to my "talk to Rick about" notes. Look at that nib! :thumbup:

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    One group of Pelikans to consider are the M625 (I think they are M625s) Cities series pens. Stockholm, Berlin, etc. These are some beautiful and modern Pelikans, and they are colorful.

http://www.nibs.com/PelikanCitySeries.html
    +1 on the "City Series"!

I have the "Grand Place" model, and consider it one of my best looking pens overall (let alone Pel)!

"When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

Owner-
    http://federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)
    (5% Discount for FPG Members! Use Code "FPG" at checkout!)

Follow store/forum at
    Linked-In!
    Like Us on
    Facebook !

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (July 22nd, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cwent2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    The 400NN is a VERY good Pelikan. But then most of them are. The fine nib will not be silky smooth on the paper, or at least likely isn't. The 50s era nibs did not have the large iridium ball tips of today's nibs. Instead they had small amounts of very flat iridium. So the finer the nib the more "sharp" it will feel. That doesn't mean it isn't a good nib, just don't expect a ROUND writing tip. Just don't flex the nib too much. Those nibs can give very nice minor line variation

The very BEST of the nibs from that era is probably the OBB. If you can find one you WILL pay a premium for it, but it pretty much superior to anything else I've ever written with. (I mean that.)
    Ok, thank you - I am not so much interested in flex, a little is nice but not an issue, what is an issue is that today's medium nibs tend to be too wide - I cramp my writing, should have been a lefty, anyway a medium puts down too much ink and is too wide for everyday writing cwood826.wordpress.com shows a sample of my writing. I am at the point that I want one good pen in the 150 - 200 range. so I am looking, I like the idea of a pen from 1959.

Cwood
    1959...the Pelikan P1 was the flagship pen at the time, and they are really quite nice pens. Easily found for $50-60 online on eBay, wide nib selection, (14k of course), and they are cool to write with. They are also apparently leakproof on airplanes like their Parker 61/51 competitors. I think they are a hidden gem, and mine only grows on me.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Lee View Post
    Oh wow, that is really different looking! Added it to my "talk to Rick about" notes. Look at that nib! :thumbup:

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Just purchase the different size of M1000 nibs,you will have a lot of fun.