Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a Good Pelikan?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Default What is a Good Pelikan?

Hi Pelikan experts! I am thinking that for the DC pen show I will keep my eyes open for a Pelikan. I don't own one, but I know they are good pens. I like a large or oversized pen of modern ilk, no vintage. I may not want to spend over, say $500 or $600 (less is good too) but I would like some recommendations about a particular model that is pretty fantastic. I am usually a medium to broad nib person, even stub, so if there is guidance on nib size in the brand I will happily be educated on that as well. You know, "the medium writes like a broad" or something like that. Need some "tools" in my tool belt. Also, if there are specific questions I should ask while shopping, or generally any other information you think I should know, I am all eyes. I appreciate the help.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Default Re: What is a Good Pelikan?

I'm a Pelikan person, don't know about expect.

But one of the reasons I like Pelikans is because I have NEVER found a model of Pelikan that isn't a SOLID great pen. They're just reliable. If you like BIG or oversized you are probably looking at M800s or M1000s. I know nada about those pens as I'm a small pen person myself, anything over an M600 is too big for my hand. But go looking for 800s or 1000s and try them at the show! Those pens have fabulous nibs as well.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (July 8th, 2013)

Thanks

Thank you, noted on my little listy thing. :-)

Thanks

I totally agree with tandaina that size should be your first priority. I reckon the 1000 is a desk pen, 800 a standard large executive pen, 600 as normal maximum size I'd go, 100/200/400 are my ideal everyday, and 300 the smallest. And you gotta find which one you like best size wise and take it from there. If you like big, watch out for: 800 brown tortoise, 1005 black, demos, etc. If you like small: the white tortoise, lizard, etc. and the whole heap of vintage 100s, 400nn, 500, etc. I am a bloke but I prefer a small and light pen but fancy, kinda like a man jewelry.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Rex For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (July 9th, 2013)

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

for that amount of coin, you could pick up an M800 tortoise.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,040 Times in 4,011 Posts

It is a shame you aren't interested in vintage, though. While the modern pens are well-made, the nibs from the earlier eras can't be beat. Since you are going to the DC show, I'd be surprised if Rick Propas wasn't there. Be sure to see him and his pens, and talk to him about your options. I don't think there is anyone who knows more about Pels, both modern and vintage.

Eh, no matter what you get, it's gonna be nice.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (July 9th, 2013), fountainpenkid (July 9th, 2013), Tracy Lee (July 9th, 2013)

Thanks

Thanks all, Rick is on my list to go see, the M800 Tortoise is now on there as one to look at for sure. Thanks again!

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

I agree with those who suggested the M800 tortoise--it's such a gorgeous pen. The M1000 is indeed large, but it would feel quite at home next to some of your Viscontis; the nib is springy as well, which I like much better than the stiffer M8xx nibs.

Unfortunately, vintage Pelikans are relatively small (especially if you're used to oversized modern pens). But if you could handle an M400NN, for example, the nib might very well be worth a compromise on size. A vintage Pelikan broad nib or OB nib can't be beat; they're stubbish, usually flexible, and are delightful to write with. Some of my favorite nibs.

Thanks

I'm a huge vintage Pelikan nib evangelist. They are some of the best nibs ever made, hands down. My 400 tortoise came with an OBB nib that is unbelievable. Stunning nib. Rick will steal you straight. Tell him what you like, how you write and then trust his recommendation. He paired me with that OBB and he was right!

Remember that Pelikan nibs are swappable, and the sizes are consistent through their history, so old nibs will go in new pens and visa versa. (Use a little care as plastic parts can shrink but i have yet to run into one that doesn't fit.) have a few new Pelikans whose nibs are in storage, they wear the antique nibs cause they really are unbeatable.
    ---

Thanks

Stear, not steal!
    ---

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

"Large pen" can be pretty relative so here are a few pictures of various Pelikans with other pens which may help.

First, Montblanc 146 and 800:

Here with a variety of pens. The two on the far right are an OMAS Paragon (old style) and an 800. The blue Pel is a 600 between an old style OMAS Milord an a Sheaffer oversize Balance.

Thanks

Thank you, very helpful indeed. Very clear size differences there, the 800 appealing to me quite a lot more in terms of size.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

A different size comparison:

I don't have an M800 cause it is just too big and heavy for my hand, but I do have a TWSBI 540 which I'm told is similar in size (less metal so likely lighter though). The TWSBI at least isn't really usable with the cap posted, WAY too back heavy so the M400 is really USEABLY the same size:

Untitled by JoAndRoses, on Flickr

And crappy picture but here they are both posted. There is a big size difference here:

Untitled by JoAndRoses, on Flickr

So there's that. Not sure if that helps or not. I think once you get your hands on some of the smaller Pelis you might be surprised just how comfy and useable they are.
    ---

17. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have a Pelikan M800 brown tortoise with a fine nib. While the pen is very nice, solid, etc.., the nib is frankly not very exciting. It does what it should, but it has a distinct lack of character that's hard to describe. It's currently sitting in my pen box at home, unable to win a place in my daily rotation. I believe others have felt this way about the M800 nibs as well, but it's certainly my experience. Food for thought.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ransky For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Do any antique nibs fit in the M800 or is it too big? That would solve the BLAH nib instantly!
    ---

Thanks

There were 14C 800 nibs, but have been discontinued and now rare.

PS: The 800 and 1000 have their own sizes, the 400/600 nibs are too small for them.
    Last edited by Tony Rex; July 9th, 2013 at 10:36 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Rex View Post
    There were 14C 800 nibs, but have been discontinued and now rare.

PS: The 800 and 1000 have their own sizes, the 400/600 nibs are too small for them.
    Well that makes it even easier for me to skip those sizes then. Anything that can't take my 50's OBB flex nib? Not a contendor.
    ---

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    Do any antique nibs fit in the M800 or is it too big? That would solve the BLAH nib instantly!
    I don't know about antique, but there are some older M800 nibs that should be more interesting.

Tracy, knowing you're a Visconti person here are some (verbal) comparisons:
    - the M1000 body is exactly as tall as a Bronze Homo Sapiens', but the nib is seriously larger. Also note that the M1000 nibs are very different from those on the other sizes, in that they are much softer and springier. I would say softer than a Visconti Pd nib.
    - the M800 body is a tad shorter than the Bronze Homo Sapiens', the nibs are equal in size. If you have the chance I would recommend looking for one with an 80's or 90's nib, as they have more spring and particularly the broader sizes (or the obliques) tend to have a more stub-like character. I have a rather delightful 600-size BB nib in one of my City series' pens. Modern nibs tend to be rather stiff and more round. But then no nibs can be more easily exchanged than Pelikans.
    If you are going for the M800 tortoise, be aware there are two different editions, the current one, with a somewhat uninteresting stock nib (as referred to in an earlier post). Its colours make a cooler impression (in the sense of colour temperature) and they contain more gray. And there is the edition from (I believe) the 90's, which apparently was intended for the Spanish market only, and therefore very limited and hard to get. The colours are noticeably warmer (especially side-by-side) and contain almost no gray, BUT the price tag will surely spring your budget by a wide margin.
    I agree with Tandaina that vintage Pelikan nibs are superb and should you decide to try one, despite they're being much smaller, from my own experience I would suggest a 140 or a 400NN with anything from a B or OB nib upwards.
    Happy hunting!

Cheers,
    Peter

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterpen53 For This Useful Post:

cedargirl (July 9th, 2013), Tracy Lee (July 9th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Jar's pictures are so helpful. Let me also emphasize that the M800 (and I'm sure the M1000) are notable in terms of weight. For instance, I enjoy both the MB 146 and the Omas Paragon, as well as the Parker Duofold Centennial, all of which are similar in size and girth to an M800. So it's not the size that explains why I can't use an M800 comfortably. Rather, its brass piston makes the M800 uncomfortably top-heavy in my hand. Of course, others with larger hands love the weight and balance of the M800. So it's sensible to try before you buy, as you plan to do.

I do the modern M800 nib. It is stiff, and doesn't have the same character as the vintage Pelikans. On the other hand, it feels very business-like and is great for fast writing.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,040 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    I do the modern M800 nib. It is stiff, and doesn't have the same character as the vintage Pelikans. On the other hand, it feels very business-like and is great for fast writing.
    My writing always ends up half-fast.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin