Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: People who don't post

Thanks

Default Re: People who don't post

I used to post my pens, but I've been cured of that.

I have a Waterman Expert that posts nicely, but it unbalances the pen during writing. But that wasn't enough to stop me from posting. I got a Cross ATX that posts and is still balanced, and it won't scratch the barrel. So my posting habit was encouraged. My Twsbi Eco posted just fine, and was still balanced reasonably well. No cure there.

My habits for attempting neatness, even while filling, led me to use syringes to fill converter pens. Like, for example, my Jinhao x750, which I posted, of course. The inkcident happened when filling the Jinhao with a sample of Noodler's Ink Liberty's Elysium. When you fill with a syringe, you're not dipping the nib into the ink, so it doesn't get wet and doesn't flow right away. The ink has to flow through the feed, and exchange air. This can be slow, and I didn't really know about priming by gently goosing the converter to push ink into the feed. Instead, my solution was to set the pen nib down in a pen cup and let gravity assist.

Assist it did. Gravity assisted most of the ink into the cap. The Jinhao x750 has an opaque metal cap, so I had no idea as to how amazingly effective gravity had been in this case. When I uncap a pen, the cap is in my left hand, angled down, and I flip the pen around and insert. Posted!

I tried to write. Yay! The ink is flowing. I rather liked the color. Let's write some pangrams... Why is my hand all wet? Where is this coming from? How? What?!?

There was ink slowly working its way into the crook of my hand from around the cap. I'd had my coffee already, so I didn't pull the cap off right there at my desk. I got over to a sink and discovered that at least two-thirds of the ink in the converter had taken up residence in the cap. I poured the ink out and began flushing the thing, lamenting the lost volume of Blue.

That, more than anything else, cured me of posting my pens. I began to notice small droplets of ink that migrated from the nib of my other pens, just regular nib creep or a careless bounce. Yep... no more posting for me.

I suppose I'll have to make an exception if I get a Kaweco Sport. But I'm now firmly, generally, in the no-posting camp. Ink belongs in the reservoir, on the paper, and only occasionally on my fingers. It doesn't belong on the pen barrel.
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SlowMovingTarget For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (September 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm really glad to find out that I'm not abnormal, at least not in that way.

Actually I'm kind of surprised that so many people don't post, considering what I see in pictures on line. Goulet Pens, for example, seem to only show pictures with pens posted, which irritates me because I don't get to see the pen in its stylistic beauty.

I don't have small hands, although they're somewhat thin. Even then, I don't post a Kaweco Sport. It fits between my fingers and I don't need it to lean on the back of my hand, especially as it's light. I see too that others consider markings on the pen body from posting. Sanity prevails.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (September 25th, 2020), catbert (September 25th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (September 25th, 2020)

Thanks

I'm with silverlifter. The only pen I post with is the Kaweco Sport and non-fountain pens. As to why I don't post - it's mainly a balance issue with pens but also I don't want to scratch the barrel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    Goulet Pens, for example, seem to only show pictures with pens posted, which irritates me because I don't get to see the pen in its stylistic beauty. ...
    Goulet Pens typically show that as the first picture of the pen. If you click on the gallery below the pic, you'll find they typically show it 1) posted, 2) capped, 3) uncapped beside pen, 4) Filling system detail 5,6,...) various detail shots, followed by various beauty shots.

You're right that the thumbnails in the search results all have posted pens.
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SlowMovingTarget For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (September 25th, 2020), Ole Juul (September 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Pen length and balance is an issue for me.

I never liked writing with anything that didn't seem balanced in my hand. It didn't matter if it was a dip pen that felt too long or a stubby pencil that felt too short. Call it 'Goldilocks Syndrome if you like, but a pen or pencil has to be 'just right' for me. The dinky pens I have, a Conway Stewart 36 and a Boot Chatsworth, feel too short unposted, and are used posted. Most other pens fall in to an acceptable range posted or unposted. While I tend to prefer posting, that I've begun using unposted pens more frequently. That is due in no small measure to having some pens that just don't post well. It's annoying to have a cap fall off in the middle of writing a word.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (September 25th, 2020), Kaputnik (September 25th, 2020)

Thanks

I don´t like to scratch the pen body, so, I don´t post.

Thanks

I hate posting. Never do it.

Well, almost never. I once tried one of Susan Wirth’s pens and she insisted that i post the cap.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (September 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

If it's postable and not back-heavy, I post.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Surely you post the Kaweco Sport ja?

Thanks

I always post. I am 6'2" with long fingers and thumb and unposted pens are too short. I suspect the need for posting may have a lot to do with hand size.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roe D Hym View Post
    I always post. I am 6'2" with long fingers and thumb and unposted pens are too short. I suspect the need for posting may have a lot to do with hand size.
    Don't look at me; mine are little. 😜
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by picautomaton View Post
    Surely you post the Kaweco Sport ja?
    No.

They're so light that they don't need hand support. I have two in regular use. I don't have fat fingers but my hands are certainly not small. I tend to adapt my grip to different pens.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

picautomaton (September 26th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

I remember when I used to walk two miles to school everyday, in the snow, in the dark, when all the other kids were afraid to post their pens. But I did...some of them. And I still do.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (September 26th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (September 26th, 2020)

Thanks

I don't post. Just find the additional torque unnecessary like many of the other folks. If it was a smaller pen I might consider it.... but I don't buy smaller pens.

Thanks

I used to post but I tend not to now.
    It might have been thepens I was using but I think it was when I inherited my dad's silver waterman and you could see the line where the cap rubbed a nice ring into the body. Now I'm the kindo f person who's books look like they are new from the bookstore even after I've read them a dozen times. I don't dog ear pages or write in margins and I like my pens looking brand new as much as possible so no cap posting unless it's absolutely required.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aurelius For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (September 26th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (September 27th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roe D Hym View Post
    I’m pretty big, too, with even bigger hands & feet. I still don’t like it.

It always feels like the cap is going to work itself off or it makes the pen backheavy.

Thanks

Depends on the pen and the day and even the time of day. I used to write with my Parker 45 un-posted. Did that for years. Now, when I write mostly with a Parker 51, sometimes I post and sometimes I don't. No fear of leaving a ring from the cap. It just depends on how my hand feels. Yes, the 51 is just great when posted. Just as great when un-posted.

Thanks

I post 95 percent of my caps. I think it usually feels better and then I don’t have to worry about where the cap is.
    If the cap is heavy and really makes the pen feel back heavy then I won’t.

Thanks

Normally, I don't post my pens. A few of my pens are on the short side and, for my hand, benefit from posting. But generally I prefer not to post.

Thanks

I've spent the last week alternating between posting and not posting the same (a variety) pens. With some, like the Conway Stewart 36 which barely reaches the web between my thumb and palm unposted, that are short to start are not comfortable to use unposted. My Conway Stewart 479 and other 'full size' pens are useable unposted, but the balance doesn't feel right.

My conclusion -- opinion if you will -- from my brief experiment is that posting or not posting is subjective not only for the individual, as is evident from this discussion, but for the pen as well. But we knew that already, didn't we?

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (September 30th, 2020), FredRydr (September 30th, 2020), Ole Juul (September 30th, 2020), Tleek (September 30th, 2020)