Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: People who don't post

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: People who don't post

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    ...posting or not posting is subjective not only for the individual, as is evident from this discussion, but for the pen as well. But we knew that already, didn't we?
    Certainly!

Thanks

Depends. I have tried posting my Newton Townsend for example and I am beginning to think it will end up being a no post pen. My Pelikans (M200s and M400 an other similar sized pens) I post most of the time.
    Other pens it is yes sometimes and no sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks

I post those pens that are postable, because my hand wants a longer pen. I like the feel of the pen resting in the web between my thumb and forefinger (not an abnormal web--just the same sort of web everyone has). However, there are some pens that shouldn't be posted, like some more fragile Esterbrooks, and there are some pens that aren't designed to post. With those, I don't even try to post, much less force the issue. Besides, I need my other hand free to pet the cat/push the cat away from the ink/prevent the cat from guzzling my tea.

Thanks

I post those pens that are postable, because my hand wants a longer pen. I like the feel of the pen resting in the web between my thumb and forefinger (not an abnormal web--just the same sort of web everyone has). However, there are some pens that shouldn't be posted, like some more fragile Esterbrooks, and there are some pens that aren't designed to post. With those, I don't even try to post, much less force the issue. Besides, I need my other hand free to pet the cat/push the cat away from the ink/prevent the cat from guzzling my tea. Another argument for posting in my case is that cats will play with the cap if it's left unattended.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    I never post. I take the cap off and hold it in my left hand, or I put it on the table.

To my sensibilities a pen with the cap stuck on the back doesn't look good, and in most cases doesn't feel good either. I suppose if I was writing while sitting in a tree or riding a horse I'd think differently, but under normal circumstances I just can't bring myself to do it.

Are there any other people here who don't post?
    THe posting or not posting is not an absolute thing. There are some pens that do need posting. My little MB Mozart, a Kaweco Sport, Sailor Sapporo these styles of pens are pocket pens and all require posting even the back of the pen is designed to securely post as they are threaded. On the other extreme a Pelikan M1000 or MB 149 or Visconti Opera Limited Edition are large pens and posting often throws the balance off given the girth and length of large fountain pens. I think for me its all about security of the cap and balance once posted in the hand.

If it feels good do it. I mean this only with respect to the cap posting, ink you use and paper choices.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    If it feels good do it.
    Words to live by!
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

the pen tells me if it wants to be used posted. i have a wonderful 1970's MB 149 that screams at me to post its cap and the pen is right, it just works. but a couple of omas' paragons say "no way, no how" and here too i have to say the pen knows better than i.

i use to hate posting a pen for fear of damaging the barrel of the pen with micro scratches but as i age, i'm enjoying my pens the way i want to. if the pen balances well posted that's how i'll use it. i feel that was how the designer meant for the pen to be used, part of the experience i guess i'm trying to say. in the end, no right way, no wrong way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeoFender View Post
    the pen tells me if it wants to be used posted. i have a wonderful 1970's MB 149 that screams at me to post its cap and the pen is right, it just works. but a couple of omas' paragons say "no way, no how" and here too i have to say the pen knows better than i.

i use to hate posting a pen for fear of damaging the barrel of the pen with micro scratches but as i age, i'm enjoying my pens the way i want to. if the pen balances well posted that's how i'll use it. i feel that was how the designer meant for the pen to be used, part of the experience i guess i'm trying to say. in the end, no right way, no wrong way.
    Much you wrote I agree. I think it is possible to allow our stuff to own us rather than us owning our stuff. If I am going to have something that I care if it looks used, I am probably better off not having. Things are made to use and enjoy.
    Last edited by Chuck Naill; October 4th, 2020 at 06:01 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

eachan (October 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoFender View Post

Much you wrote I agree. I think it is possible to allow our stuff to own us rather than us owning our stuff. If I am going to have something that I care if it looks used, I am probably better off not having. Things are made to use and enjoy.
    Well said.

Thanks

#teamnoposting

It might scratch the barrel.
    It changes the centre-mass of the pen.
    It takes away beauty of the pen and the cap.
    It looks like an practical rather than aesthetic afterthought - you take off a sweater and tie it around your waist.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Linger For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (October 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    #teamnoposting

It looks like an practical rather than aesthetic afterthought - you take off a sweater and tie it around your waist.
    Probably best not to take the cap off at all, ever.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 4th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Things are made to use and enjoy.
    I agree. And I use and enjoy my pens in a very different way than you do. Isn't that wonderful?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    #teamnoposting

Probably best not to take the cap off at all, ever.
    Or out of it's original packaging. It might get scratched if one does.

Thanks

I see that the order of my arguments takes away its intended meaning. Does tongue-in-cheek symbolically represent a posted or a capped pen?

Thanks

I see that the order of my arguments takes away its intended meaning. Does tongue-in-cheek symbolically represent a posted or a capped pen?

I wondered if it was in jest. I frequently find that what I am smiling about when I type ends up being misconstrued. I've gotten used to typing "irony is truly dead" and things like that.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

How long is a piece of string?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    How long is a piece of string?
    Twice as long as half a piece.

Thanks

Tongue in cheek is well understood by others of us who are likely to apply its principles to a discussion. I must confess that I may approach sarcasm -- with or without intent.
    Last edited by An old bloke; October 4th, 2020 at 06:34 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I agree. And I use and enjoy my pens in a very different way than you do. Isn't that wonderful?
    Of course, Jon. Why would you need to ask? Both of us "use" and that is the point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Of course, Jon. Why would you need to ask? Both of us "use" and that is the point.
    My exceedingly clever and understated point being that the phrase "use and enjoy" does not necessarily connect those two actions (though it can). I enjoy some of my pens without ever putting ink in them.

~ Benjamin Franklin

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

catbert (October 5th, 2020)