Thread: People who don't post

Thanks

Default Re: People who don't post

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Things are made to use and enjoy.
    I agree. And I use and enjoy my pens in a very different way than you do. Isn't that wonderful?
    Of course, Jon. Why would you need to ask? Both of us "use" and that is the point.
    My exceedingly clever and understated point being that the phrase "use and enjoy" does not necessarily connect those two actions (though it can). I enjoy some of my pens without ever putting ink in them.
    Why does this remind me of our recent Oxford comma discussion?

Hmm, clarity perhaps?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 5th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,446 Times in 2,524 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    People who don't post
    What about people who don't use their turn signals? I can deal with people not posting, but that?!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (October 5th, 2020), Jon Szanto (October 5th, 2020), Ole Juul (October 5th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    People who don't post
    What about people who don't use their turn signals? I can deal with people not posting, but that?!
    My personal favorite is when they DO signal, but go the opposite direction.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,518 Times in 4,023 Posts

People who don't post
    That's two of us who do use their turn signals then Fred. Don't come and try to drive in England. I believe people here must get a discount when they buy their new cars by saying they don't need any bulbs for their turn signals.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    People who don't post
    That's two of us who do use their turn signals then Fred. Don't come and try to drive in England. I believe people here must get a discount when they buy their new cars by saying they don't need any bulbs for their turn signals.
    Lol! I'd bet you are right.

I wonder, am I the only one here old enough to remember the little turn signalling arms that came out of the door pillar on cars back in the day?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,446 Times in 2,524 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    ...I wonder, am I the only one here old enough to remember the little turn signalling arms that came out of the door pillar on cars back in the day?
    They're called semaphores. In 1973, I traded my '65 Vauxhall Viva for a '48 Austin 8 with those.

Thanks

We had a 1950 Austin that had those. It also had a 1st gear so low you could drive up a telephone pole.

Thanks

Yep, the cars my parents drove had those. Mind you, when I was growing up everyone drove cars without seatbelts and you indicated by sticking your arm out of the window: straight out to turn right, elbow at 90 degrees to turn left. The rest of the time, you either had your right arm on the window, or your left arm stretched out along the top of the bench seat.

Even as late as the 1980s, whenever my mother braked suddenly, she would instincively thrust her left arm out, to prevent whoever was sitting in the passenger seat from caroming into the windshield!
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    ...I wonder, am I the only one here old enough to remember the little turn signalling arms that came out of the door pillar on cars back in the day?
    They're called semaphores. In 1973, I traded my '65 Vauxhall Viva for a '48 Austin 8 with those.
    Yes, they are called semaphores. I doubt many knew or remembered that. Unlike using your arm to signal, they were they were a true blessing when it rained and on an icy cold night.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    Yep, the cars my parents drove had those. Mind you, when I was growing up everyone drove cars without seatbelts and you indicated by sticking your arm out of the window: straight out to turn right, elbow at 90 degrees to turn left. The rest of the time, you either had your right arm on the window, or your left arm stretched out along the top of the bench seat.

Even as late as the 1980s, whenever my mother braked suddenly, she would instincively thrust her left arm out, to prevent whoever was sitting in the passenger seat from caroming into the windshield!
    I had to look up the word caroming, still didn't help, there is a word careening which is not used often enough IMHO.

The signal to turn left from RHD countries was to put your right arm straight out and move it in anti-clockwise circles which was not that easy when you are changing down through the gears, steering to the left, and holding on to whatever you had put on the passenger seat to stop it sliding on to the floor.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post

I had to look up the word caroming, still didn't help, there is a word careening which is not used often enough IMHO.

The signal to turn left from RHD countries was to put your right arm straight out and move it in anti-clockwise circles which was not that easy when you are changing down through the gears, steering to the left, and holding on to whatever you had put on the passenger seat to stop it sliding on to the floor.

Remember this from a young age. And the circling arm was also used when riding a bicycle.

Carom - to strike and rebound.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OED
    carom, carrom
    (ˈkærəm)
    An abbreviation of carambole, applied to the stroke so called in Billiards; now corrupted to cannon n.1 7.
    Does that help?
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post

Remember this from a young age. And the circling arm was also used when riding a bicycle.

Carom - to strike and rebound.
    Learned something today, I had never heard of carom.

To give hand signals when turning left on a bicycle you just pointed left, to slow down you waved your arm up and down.

Thanks

There was a reason for not using your left hand to signal on a bicycle - and this may be urban myth - but the right hand brake lever is usually for the front brakes. You don't want to be squeezing this while signalling with your left hand, unless you fancy a faceplant on the tarmac!

Thanks

Things are made to use and enjoy.
    I agree. And I use and enjoy my pens in a very different way than you do. Isn't that wonderful?
    Of course, Jon. Why would you need to ask? Both of us "use" and that is the point.
    My exceedingly clever and understated point being that the phrase "use and enjoy" does not necessarily connect those two actions (though it can). I enjoy some of my pens without ever putting ink in them.
    Yes, clever aka argumentative...lol!!

For me, not using something out of fear of damage or such causes me to enjoy less. That said , I don’t always follow my own point and just use and forget about the possible loss of a thing being pristine.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,091 Times in 4,026 Posts

For me, not using something out of fear of damage or such causes me to enjoy less. That said , I don’t always follow my own point and just use and forget about the possible loss of a thing being pristine.
    Yeah, but Chuck... you are projecting. I don't consider the conservation of a portion of my pen collection to be out of fear. I look at it in the same way as conservators of any fine object: I've got respect for it, it is an honor to be caretaking it after years of service, and there is enjoyment in both experiencing the piece as well as knowing that my care will allow it to be enjoyed - if I'm careful and wise - for years to come.

I understand your viewpoint and it makes sense that if the only reason you would own a particular pen is regular use, you surely wouldn't want to have to be fussy or cautious in it's handling or ownership. I hope my explanation shows another way to view these pens, not that you would or will ever find the same kind of enjoyment, but that you can understand how it is of value to me and others.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

penwash (October 6th, 2020)

Thanks

Yeah, but Chuck... you are projecting. I don't consider the conservation of a portion of my pen collection to be out of fear. I look at it in the same way as conservators of any fine object: I've got respect for it, it is an honor to be caretaking it after years of service, and there is enjoyment in both experiencing the piece as well as knowing that my care will allow it to be enjoyed - if I'm careful and wise - for years to come.

I understand your viewpoint and it makes sense that if the only reason you would own a particular pen is regular use, you surely wouldn't want to have to be fussy or cautious in it's handling or ownership. I hope my explanation shows another way to view these pens, not that you would or will ever find the same kind of enjoyment, but that you can understand how it is of value to me and others.
    I totally agree. My whole house, indeed much of my life, is full of things that I caretake for future generations, and appreciation of objects is a major use for me.

I look at all things, old, new, broken, whatever, with awe. The physical world brings me great pleasure to see in all its glory. I see it all as part of a large painting placed before me, and the frame is none other than my sphere of awareness.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 6th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 397 Posts

Yet another thing the British got backwards. ...OK, backwards from the US. Every bike I own and have owned, has the rear brake on the right handle, which makes sense in that a significant portion of the population is right handed, so using the stronger hand.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks

That depends on how you look at it. My take is that the front brake is controlled by the more sensitive hand, i.e.the dominant hand, which for the right hand is 90% of the population. As anyone who has experienced an unexpected journey over the handlebars knows, the front brake deserves serious respect and good control.

Most of the motorbikes I've driven are similar. Clutch on left hand, rear brake under right foot, front brake on right hand, gear change on left foot. Although I've also driven Italian bikes where the foot controls are swapped, I've not used one where the clutch and front brakes are swapped. Obviously I haven't driven/ridden everything, and no doubt there are examples to the contrary out there, so my thoughts are generalised.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Yet another thing the British got backwards. ...OK, backwards from the US. Every bike I own and have owned, has the rear brake on the right handle, which makes sense in that a significant portion of the population is right handed, so using the stronger hand.
    It is a legal requirement in the US, I took it that if you are parked at the side of the road and set off then you may want to aplly the front brake to steady the bike until you set off. Early bikes had a rear brake only, which was weak and needed your strongest hand to operate it but early bikes in Italy and Britain just had a single brake and that was a coaster brake without a lever.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; October 6th, 2020 at 07:51 PM.