Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: People who don't post

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Default Re: People who don't post

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Ah, with motorcycles I started in the 80s - mainly Japanese models.
    No worries Mate. I pre-date you by a couple of decades. 'Beezahs' and 'Trumpets'!
    My first real bike was a 1954 Thunderbird. I had to get used to strange gear shifters when I started on Japanese bikes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    #teamnoposting

It might scratch the barrel.
    It changes the centre-mass of the pen.
    It takes away beauty of the pen and the cap.
    It looks like an practical rather than aesthetic afterthought - you take off a sweater and tie it around your waist.
    Probably best not to take the cap off at all, ever.
    I need a coffeee !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    #teamnoposting

It might scratch the barrel.
    It changes the centre-mass of the pen.
    It takes away beauty of the pen and the cap.
    It looks like an practical rather than aesthetic afterthought - you take off a sweater and tie it around your waist.
    Probably best not to take the cap off at all, ever.
    I need a coffeee !!
    I wonder when posting became a thing. Was it promoted by pen makers? Was it something popularized in movies, like the American way of holding a cigarette? Did people just naturally start doing it from the very beginning?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    I wonder when posting became a thing. Was it promoted by pen makers? Was it something popularized in movies, like the American way of holding a cigarette? Did people just naturally start doing it from the very beginning?
    That's actually a pretty interesting question. I may pose that to some of the venerable vintage gurus I know. One thing that immediately springs to mind is the Sheaffer "Balance". If you take note of this page, you can see a patent image with the pen posted. I somehow have it in mind that I've seen other documentation, and possible advertising of the time, that touted the balance of the pen in this configuration. However, I am both neither a pen historian nor possessing a youthful brain, so I might not be completely in the clear on this. It's a place to start, though.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (October 18th, 2020), Scrawler (October 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    That's actually a pretty interesting question. I may pose that to some of the venerable vintage gurus I know. One thing that immediately springs to mind is the Sheaffer "Balance". If you take note of this page, you can see a patent image with the pen posted. I somehow have it in mind that I've seen other documentation, and possible advertising of the time, that touted the balance of the pen in this configuration. However, I am both neither a pen historian nor possessing a youthful brain, so I might not be completely in the clear on this. It's a place to start, though.
    Thanks. I don't have time to look too deeply now, but I'm very much interested in what you find out.

The Sheaffer Balance, was at the time when movie stars were becoming prevalent and influencing fashion and behavior, but that's just my hunch on the topic. There were earlier generations of fountain pen users.

Thanks

One thing that immediately springs to mind is the Sheaffer "Balance". If you take note of this page, you can see a patent image with the pen posted. I somehow have it in mind that I've seen other documentation, and possible advertising of the time, that touted the balance of the pen in this configuration.
    That's interesting, because I just went to try a few pens and when I picked up my (only) Sheaffer Balance, I thought of what you said and thought I'd try posting it. Well, lo and behold, the cap does not post. It wobbles loosely on the end. Perhaps if I ground it on roughly it would stay, but I'm not going to do that. Yet the article you linked, clearly shows an old diagram with it posted, and the author goes on about posting was a feature of the Balance. So, ... I don't know what's going on with that.

Thanks

Thanks. I don't have time to look too deeply now, but I'm very much interested in what you find out.

The Sheaffer Balance, was at the time when movie stars were becoming prevalent and influencing fashion and behavior, but that's just my hunch on the topic. There were earlier generations of fountain pen users.
    I wonder if posting became a natural event as people who had been using longer dip pens for most of their lives began using shorter fountain pens since posting the cap adds length. Perhaps some of those who use dip pens on a regular basis can tell us whether they post or not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post

I wonder if posting became a natural event as people who had been using longer dip pens for most of their lives began using shorter fountain pens since posting the cap adds length. Perhaps some of those who use dip pens on a regular basis can tell us whether they post or not.
    Started with dip pens as a kid and i don’t post.

Thanks

Pens like Pelikan M200, MB Mozart, Cross Apogee, Sailor Profit are more comfortable posted in many hands. I use them both ways, more often posted. But in general I don't post.