Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: End of the road?

Thanks

Default Re: End of the road?

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cj2020 View Post
    I have limited myself to 5 total pens....
    I hope you've placed a time limit on that...say, one month?
    Lol! I wish! Three years is what I have decided for now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I have limited myself to 5 total pens. I hate having to juggle which one to use and don't like them just sitting in the drawer. This way, other than my Nakaya,which I only use for my journal at home, the other four travel with me and I use them as I fancy at any given moment.
    I think I am done collecting for now, at least for a few years. Saving money for everything else now (kids educations etc). I plan on spending my time hanging out in this forum and admiring all the beautiful pens.
    Five is enough if it’s the right five.
    Agreed. I like the pens I have and if I buy a new one, I have to sell one, and I do not like selling something that I have appreciated so much.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cj2020 For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (October 11th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I have limited myself to 5 total pens. I hate having to juggle which one to use and don't like them just sitting in the drawer. This way, other than my Nakaya,which I only use for my journal at home, the other four travel with me and I use them as I fancy at any given moment.
    I think I am done collecting for now, at least for a few years. Saving money for everything else now (kids educations etc). I plan on spending my time hanging out in this forum and admiring all the beautiful pens.
    Five is enough if it’s the right five.
    Agreed. I like the pens I have and if I buy a new one, I have to sell one, and I do not like selling something that I have appreciated so much.
    I have two Parker 51’s from 1942 and I don’t need the ugly plum color. I’m content 🤭😂

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Neither an ascetic
    nor a voluptuary be.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

I'm not at the end of the road, but I do seem to be at a turning point, or pit stop, or traffic light. Or something. I've accumulated enough pens that I find that there are some that I just don't use any more. There's nothing wrong with them; they are all excellent writers (except for one eyedropper that seems to suffer from gastric reflux), attractive, undamaged save for very light micro-scratches from use, and I should probably sell them and set the money aside for when I find a killer deal on a pen that talks to me, or perhaps have nib work done on one I already own that I really like a lot except that I wish its broad nib were a stub, for example. Thing is, I have to be entirely clear on which pens to sell. I once almost put one up for sale that I later started using more and more often, until it became (and remains) my daily go-to pen. I would still be kicking myself if I'd sold it. As for already owning every pen I could ever desire -- HA!
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

I would suggest you join postcrossing.

Then you can use you pens and send and receive postcards from all over the world.

I've had some fascinating cards, and beautiful stamps over the last 5 years.

Don't worry about buying more pens. Youy've stil got to find the perect paper to match the ones you have - and a lifetime of blue inks to explore. 50 Shades of Grey - I see you and raise you 500 shades of Blue.

The hobby isn't just about acquiring pens, but using them.

NaNoWriMo starts on Sunday - 50,000 words to write in November.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy For This Useful Post:

cj2020 (October 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I would suggest you join postcrossing.

Then you can use you pens and send and receive postcards from all over the world.

I've had some fascinating cards, and beautiful stamps over the last 5 years.

Don't worry about buying more pens. Youy've stil got to find the perect paper to match the ones you have - and a lifetime of blue inks to explore. 50 Shades of Grey - I see you and raise you 500 shades of Blue.

The hobby isn't just about acquiring pens, but using them.

NaNoWriMo starts on Sunday - 50,000 words to write in November.
    Wise words about the hobby being about using the pens. That is the main reason I have limited myself to five for now. Unlike others, I have problems rotating efficiently and then feel guilty about the pen just sitting and not being used 😀

Thanks

I have a stamp collectiion. What I like to do most is peruse old Scott's Standard Postage Stamp Catalogs. Just to read and look at pictures. The stamp collection, mainly Spanish stamps, was something I mainly built in my teens and twenties. Colorful little things.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Wise words about the hobby being about using the pens. That is the main reason I have limited myself to five for now. Unlike others, I have problems rotating efficiently and then feel guilty about the pen just sitting and not being used 😀
    I don't quite agree that this hobby is *only* about using the pens.

A legitimate part of this same hobby is the appreciation and celebration of vintage fountain pens.

There is nothing wrong for some of these vintage pens to not be used, or used only sparingly.

As an analogy, are antique cars in a museum collection supposed to be used all the time?
    They will cease to exist if they were because there will be no spare parts to replace broken ones from being used.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

da vinci (December 15th, 2020), eachan (November 1st, 2020)

Thanks

I agree with that. Most of my customers buy the pens to write with but I have collectors on my books too. Who is to say whether the writer or the collector gains most pleasure from a pen?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    I don't quite agree that this hobby is *only* about using the pens. A legitimate part of this same hobby is the appreciation and celebration of vintage fountain pens. There is nothing wrong for some of these vintage pens to not be used, or used only sparingly. As an analogy, are antique cars in a museum collection supposed to be used all the time? They will cease to exist if they were because there will be no spare parts to replace broken ones from being used.
    I've had both, and I've always enjoyed the back stories that collectors have as much as the pen or car, whether finding and restoring a vintage pen or the same for an antique car. For example, I get a kick out of the FPGeeks thread about people's desks and in the same vein, I enjoy the description of an owner's garage where his restorations slowly take place. By the way, when there are no more OEM parts for autos (and pens), they will be made if the owner is willing to pay.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eachan View Post
    I agree with that. Most of my customers buy the pens to write with but I have collectors on my books too. Who is to say whether the writer or the collector gains most pleasure from a pen?
    Furthermore, I have never met or heard of a pen collector that doesn't enjoy writing with *some* of their pens.

We love drama, so we sometimes make a false dichotomy of "writers" vs "collectors" when in reality is, most pen people are both to varying degrees.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

azkid (November 1st, 2020), da vinci (December 15th, 2020), eachan (November 1st, 2020), Jon Szanto (December 15th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (November 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

I arrived!

nakaya.jpg
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 15th, 2020), manoeuver (December 15th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (December 15th, 2020)

Thanks

'I don't quite agree that this hobby is *only* about using the pens.

A legitimate part of this same hobby is the appreciation and celebration of vintage fountain pens.'

Indeed.

Part of the appreciation and celebration of a vintage pen is the unknown history that it has had. The unknowns being who owned and used it previously, and to what ends. Were they a housewife who used her pen to write letters, shopping lists, and for various other frequent purposes; a businessman, whose use involved writing contracts and signing letters; a young servicemember serving king and country, to write letters to his family and friends; or an unknown poet or author who turned thoughts and emotions into words on a page? That is the fascination of a vintage pen. To me at least, the connection to those earlier users and their place in history I experience each time I pick up and use a vintage pen from the 1930s, 1940s, or earlier is the joy and appreciation it offers.

In that sense, I am a collector and a user -- and I believe others are as well.
    Last edited by An old bloke; December 15th, 2020 at 03:00 PM. Reason: There was a typographical error, or two or three.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 15th, 2020), silverlifter (December 15th, 2020), TFarnon (December 15th, 2020)

Thanks

This hobby is "just about" one thing, and one thing only: whatever you want the pen hobby to be.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

azkid (December 18th, 2020), Frank (December 15th, 2020), TSherbs (December 15th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    We love drama, so we sometimes make a false dichotomy of "writers" vs "collectors" when in reality is, most pen people are both to varying degrees.
    ↑ THIS.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    the connection to those earlier users and their place in history...
    Definitely! And the corresponding sense of your part in that chain, linking past and future in an ongoing endeavour of human beings putting marks of meaning on paper and other surfaces.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 15th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    the connection to those earlier users and their place in history...
    Definitely! And the corresponding sense of your part in that chain, linking past and future in an ongoing endeavour of human beings putting marks of meaning on paper and other surfaces.
    I agree, and it’s one reason i almost prefer pens that have personalizations.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

silverlifter (December 15th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    I arrived!

nakaya.jpg
    Well does it live up to the hype? Might get one after my student loans are paid and kids education accounts get some TLC.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    Well does it live up to the hype? Might get one after my student loans are paid and kids education accounts get some TLC.
    It is a big pen, much larger than I was anticipating, which is great because it fills the hand but is light. I asked for the nib to be wet, and as a result, it is a delightful writer, with just a hint of feedback.

Hype-worthy? It's still a pen. I love the feel of ebonite and, tangential to comments above about vintage, like the idea of a bunch of really old craftsmen sitting around applying the urushi to these pens. The quality is impeccable. It's a nice pen to complete my lineup and I am sure my daughter, who is a huge fan of Japanese culture, will love it when it is hers.