Thread: Help needed

Thanks

Default Help needed

So this is I think my second post and the main reason for joining this Forum.

I live in Warwickshire, UK and have had a fountain pen bought me for my 50th birthday (4 years ago) while celebrating my 50 my dear wife bought me a lovely fountain pen BUT I am finding it hard to impossible to find a replacement nib for it. I would like to replace OR have the nib ground for Copperplate (fine) as I have said I'm finding it near impossible to buy a nib of the shelve. I thought I had found the right company to deal with this but NO they couldn't assist me.

So to the nib in question and Pen. The pen is not a branded pen in fact the only info on the pen is Quality M and Germany written on the nib with a logo of a flower in the centre of the nib.

I'm going to try and add a photo of the nib but here is a link to the pen I own https://www.rivoaltus.it/?product=pen-pewter-p2&lang=en fountain pen s2

Thank you for your time and help in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Help needed

Sadly many pens are made as non-branded pens and the companies that make them don't make spare nibs and other parts for them. It's just sold as a standard pen with a standard nib that suits most people.

If you wanted to find a nib that might fit the pen then that might be possible by looking at companies who make nibs for fountain pens like Jowo or Bock for example. However, even then you may only be able to buy what would be considered as a standard type of nib in the size that might fit your pen. Also, the original nib might be glued into your non-branded pen, so removal might not be possible.

In order to get a substantially different nib on your specific pen then you have restricted options. 1) You could learn how to grind the one you have from what it is to a finer version. 2) You could try to buy a nib that fits (might be impossible.) 3) You could get your original nib ground by an expert.

Another option would be to buy a branded pen that comes with the type of nib that you want, or at least comes with the option of swapping the nib for the one you want.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Thank you Chrissy

Yes I think I have come to the same conclusion I require some one to grind the nib I have allready So does anyone know some one who would take up the grinding for me I am right handed

Thanks

Have you tried fpnibs.com? They might do a custom job for you?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

The problem with getting a nib grinder to do the work is that it will cost so much more than the pen originally cost or would be worth.
    It's basically an inexpensive steel nib. If you want it to be finer, then all you need to do is to grind it so that it is slightly narrower along both edges. A YouTube video will show you how to do that. If you just want to go from M to F on a steel nib it's a fairly straightforward thing to do.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

It is not readily apparent to new FP users, but there are an abundance of wonderful vintage and modern offerings for less than $25. I am surprised, after my own evolution into the world of vintage pens, that 40, 50, 80 years old instruments that perform the daily functions of pen use that can be made write ready for the price of a good six pack of decent beer.