Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Analog Camara with analog writers

Thanks

Default Analog Camara with analog writers

L1046517-1.jpg

Analog writers with an analog camera.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (September 28th, 2020), junglejim (November 1st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default Re: Analog Camara with analog writers

"I can do this all day" - Steve Rogers
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (September 28th, 2020), Cyril (September 28th, 2020), junglejim (November 1st, 2020)

Thanks

L1046498-1-B&W.jpg
    Historic pens that wrote history.
    Watermans on a Leica photography.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    ...Analog writers with an analog camera.
    I went through the same Leica thing, twice! Last time I had the M6 TTL 85, upgraded the viewfinder, bought the compact lenses, & etc., and I was still mediocre at composition. So I re-distributed it all to others at a small profit. I was a much better photographer decades ago with my Canon GIII QL, among others. I keep my Minox 35 ML and my father's '50s Zeiss Ikon Contina. Alas, the genuine silver B&W film is past the expiration date, again, and it's getting pricier to have developed. Contact sheets are no longer available, so I have to pay full boat for prints before selecting frames for enlargement.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (September 28th, 2020), Cyril (September 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Print Lab in Chicago will make contact prints of film that they develop. While I develop and print my own, I've seen their prints at exhibits at Chicago's Rangefinder Gallery, which exhibited my Paris photos in 2013.

So does Picto Lab in New York City. It's part of the famed lab in Paris that developed and printed Henri Cartier-Bresson's film. Sadly, Picto's Paris lab no longer develops black and white film.

The M6TTL is one of Leica's best cameras. Mine's taken a lickin and it keeps on tickin'.
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; September 28th, 2020 at 01:00 PM.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Cyril (September 28th, 2020), FredRydr (September 28th, 2020), junglejim (September 28th, 2020)

Thanks

'Cameras. A love affair with the art of an image.' So said someone who truly appreciated the talent others possessed that he did not.

Just the mention of some of the brand names, Leica and Minox in particular, brings back memories from the middle to late 1960s.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (September 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    ...Analog writers with an analog camera.
    I went through the same Leica thing, twice! Last time I had the M6 TTL 85, upgraded the viewfinder, bought the compact lenses, & etc., and I was still mediocre at composition. So I re-distributed it all to others at a small profit. I was a much better photographer decades ago with my Canon GIII QL, among others. I keep my Minox 35 ML and my father's '50s Zeiss Ikon Contina. Alas, the genuine silver B&W film is past the expiration date, again, and it's getting pricier to have developed. Contact sheets are no longer available, so I have to pay full boat for prints before selecting frames for enlargement.
    Fred, That's is a nice thing to know, but in one way it is something very rare experience to hear about M6.
    I'll tell you why. I initiated into photography during the year 1985-86 with an Olympus camera OM10. Then I bought 1986, my first Canon, then it continued until the year 1998. I don't know how many cameras I own fo all this period. So the first time I bought a Leica R5 SLR during 1997. Then I did not like it. I came to London in 1998 and found this Camera M6. The minutes I had that in my hand, I felt somthing and I was connected and I bought it. This camera made me not buy any more cameras and I didn't need any things else except 3 lenses. I got rid of all other 35mm camera gears and moved into Leica. This camera I used today on my first photo looks very clean as it was 20 years ago when I bought it as a second-hand camera.
    So the whole point in this story is, anyone who had that camera, It became the best ever camera to have on the hand. But your story is very contrary. I know as we are living in the digital era the lot of aspect of using such a camera is a bit uncomfortable and expensive. But as my photography initiating was on this point I look attthings differently, and I am using this camera as my old school favorite. By the way, this camera opened me lot of doos to my photography.
    Last edited by Cyril; September 28th, 2020 at 01:48 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (October 2nd, 2020), junglejim (November 1st, 2020)

Thanks

My Leica is this M4-P. Known as the poor PJ's Leica

I have had multiple Leica from the IIIc, the legendary M3, to the M7 and in the end, I kept only this one.

The image above, the photo which I took, develop, and darkroom print myself, proven to me that producing a tangible print without a computer involved is very satisfying.

Having said that, I am not anti-digital. Were I to be afforded the luxury of time and travel in the future, I would pick up a digital M Leica, and continue to create B&W photos.
    - Will

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (October 2nd, 2020), Cyril (September 29th, 2020), junglejim (September 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Certo Dollina x Thopmson in woodgrain ebonite

This may look like one of those "hipster" or "retro" photos that you see on social media

But I actually used the camera to take a roll of film. This is one of the few cameras that I kept after selling most of my collection. This camera is a Certo Dollina, it took me a while to find one in complete condition, took about the same amount of time to find someone who can repair it.

These two were made probably around the same time.
    - Will

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Cyril (October 5th, 2020), junglejim (November 1st, 2020)

Thanks

Zeiss Ikon Contina-matic III with a Soennecken 118

My parents went to Europe in 1959, and while touring they bought a Zeiss Ikon Contina-matic III for their trip, taking slides as they traveled. I think Zeiss was very wise in choosing a 45mm lens for this camera, which I prefer over the more ubiquitous 35-38mm lenses found on similar cameras. The viewfinder is sharp and bright. Since it came into my care, I picked up a couple of Pantar 30mm and 75mm lenses that Zeiss built specifically for the Contina and the Contaflex SLR (I have one of those, too), but I've yet to try them. I think Zeiss made the best-looking leather cases with the ivory plastic trim.

Though it's in excellent shape, the camera can use a cleaning, lube and adjustment, so it's a shelf queen. The best-known Zeiss camera serviceman is elderly, has a queue that is years long and moves at a snail's pace. I need to find someone else who knows these cameras, but I'm in no hurry, myself.

As for the Soennecken, I've dipped but never filled it. I must do so today!

IMG_3406.jpeg
    Last edited by FredRydr; October 1st, 2020 at 11:04 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Cyril (October 5th, 2020)

Thanks

Oooh which Soennecken is that? Judging from the shape of the piston dial, it has the same piston assembly as the 5XX and 11X series which I am absolutely a fan of.
    - Will

Thanks

Soennecken 118

Thanks

Your beautiful M4-P is one of the toughest cameras Leica ever made.
    Forerunner to the M6, was it?

That's a very nice print. Nothing comes close to seeing a print come alive in the developing tray.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

penwash (October 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWhiteFilmPix View Post
    Your beautiful M4-P is one of the toughest cameras Leica ever made.
    Forerunner to the M6, was it?

That's a very nice print. Nothing comes close to seeing a print come alive in the developing tray.
    Bob, thank you for complimenting my beat up M4-P (you're correct, it is basically an all manual M6 with a tougher body).
    I can't explain why, the moment I took a roll through this camera, I just knew that it is "the one".
    - Will

Thanks

Hi,

great, very nice idea for a threat! Thanks for your photos so far...

Best
    Jens
    .................................................. .................................................. .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

Thanks

This is the last analog camera I used. The Kalart split level range finder is really good. I found the Wollensak 135mm/f4.7 to be really versatile and all I needed. Although on the heavy side, it's a good hand held camera. I used it mostly on a tripod though.

For some history on this, here's a good little article. Weegee (Arthur Fellig) was quite a character, and to me epitomizes New York photography of the 30's. The Sheaffer balance is the perfect fit.

I bought this camera because of lack of money. I had lost thousands of dollars worth of Nikon equipment to a failed marriage (don't ask ) and knew there was no way I could replace that. Besides I was starting to shoot 4 minute exposures on a tripod with very slow film, so 35mm which is more suited for fast moving action like fashion and sports, wasn't really the way I was going. A creative solution was to buy the B&J for $50. They're everywhere (or were 30 years ago) and are very capable cameras. I'm with Weegee on that one. Because I had previously been into printmaking, I also had a very good darkroom set up for large format. With the addition of a handful of film holders and a fresh batch of D25, which I made from scratch, I was off to the races for under a hundred bucks. Nobody was going to rain on my parade when it came to photography. Or so I thought. Unfortunately I moved to the country 15 years ago and don't have the water and sewerage capabilities to run a proper darkroom. Besides, I got over run by the digital revolution, and now I've got a Nikon digital again. lol

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

Cyril (October 4th, 2020), FredRydr (October 3rd, 2020), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (June 4th, 2021), junglejim (November 1st, 2020), NibsForScript (March 27th, 2021), penwash (October 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

How're the bellows?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    How're the bellows?
    Last time I used it there were no leaks. It's very dry up here in the mountains, so that might not be the case any more. They look OK though.

Would be nice to use it again. I sure miss the aroma of photo chemicals.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 587 Posts

The last analog camera I had was a Yashica-D (the poor man's Rolleiflex). I bought it fully restored about six or seven years ago, used it a lot for about six months and then intermittently for another year or two, and finally sold it for what I paid for it after another couple of years during which it just gathered dust. I love medium format. I used to have a Mamiya and three lenses for it. I also had a spot meter (I think it was analog, but I can't remember now) and a Luna-Pro that I used for both reflected light and incidental light. My favorite all-time analog camera, however, was a Realist 3D camera with f/2.8 lenses. I wish now I'd never sold it. I still do some cha cha and rail-slide 3D photography once in a while, but the Realist was something special.
    Last edited by calamus; October 3rd, 2020 at 05:52 PM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

I used to have a Bronica medium format outfitted with with lenses and a couple of viewfinders, but it's long gone.

Here is my Minox 35ML, the last of their compact 35mm cameras that allows manual control. The Waterman ink bottle gives a sense of scale. The Minox made a very pocketable camera without having to go to half frame or smaller. Parts and service are still readily available from DAG Camera! The pen is a Sheaffer Connaisseur with a factory 14k stub nib. (It has a hard starting issue that has me mystified after thorough flushing, converter swaps and adjusting the feed.)

Here's the M6 TTL .85 and lenses that I offered for sale in the FPGeeks flea market four years ago. Alas, each piece finally went to a different buyer. At least they keep their value when the lenses are pristine.

Toys toys toys! See the thread on de-acquisitioning flotsam.
    Last edited by FredRydr; October 3rd, 2020 at 06:45 PM.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (November 13th, 2023), Cyril (October 5th, 2020), junglejim (November 1st, 2020), NibsForScript (March 27th, 2021)