Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another study: writing by hand makes kids smarter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 637 Posts

Default Re: Another study: writing by hand makes kids smarter

Quote Originally Posted by german View Post
    It would be interesting to look at this study from a different angle. Is it possible to say that any of these methods would be preferable for children with developmental delay?
    What developmental delay specifically? My nearly 17 year old daughter is on the autism spectrum (not higher functioning), and she's just reached a point where her numbers are legible to her and others. Her alphabet isn't even close.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks

That is a fact. As a father of 4 and a primary school teacher, I can assure you that. The results showed that the brain in both young adults and children is much more active when writing by hand than when typing on a keyboard. ""The use of pen and paper gives the brain more ''hooks'' to hang your memories on. Writing by hand creates much more activity in the sensorimotor parts of the brain. Moreover, people often underestimate the importance of games. Funny would you rather questions can actually be used to teach them to make decisions no matter how hard it might seem.
    Last edited by Mazanbik; July 6th, 2022 at 04:14 AM.

Thanks

I was taught using the D'Nealian method of cursive during the second grade, then in the third grade taught a method that seems to have been a sort of synthesis of the Palmer method and the Zaner-Bloser method, but more Zaner-Bloser-ish than Palmer-ish. My fourth grade teacher was nuts about penmanship, and continued with the method from my third grade. (My third grade teacher was just nuts.) I would love to find a chart showing the lettering used in the later of the two methods, but I don't even know what to call the method.

Back from my tangent and to the point of this thread, a university professor told a class I was in that the best results in learning a foreign language could be had by hearing, speaking, and writing the language, preferably at the same time, so that more parts of the brain would be storing information and would be making connections with each other. When trying to recall later what has been learned, there are more possible ways to access it, and any portion of the path located leads to a stronger system. I believe it all. I call it a small step, not a leap, to hypothesize that the process of handwriting similarly grinds (if you will) information into memory more indelibly than does keying. As long as we're hypothesizing.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

The only study that I could ever find on this topic concluded that writing by hand (not "cursive," but any form) increased long term retention of material by something like 7-10% (over typing the material). There was no short-term gain.