Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another study: writing by hand makes kids smarter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 791 Posts

Default Another study: writing by hand makes kids smarter

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (October 3rd, 2020), catbert (October 2nd, 2020), digitalsedition (October 3rd, 2020), FredRydr (October 2nd, 2020), Hawker800 (October 2nd, 2020), Robert (October 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Another study: writing by hand makes kids smarter

thanks for adding to the many reasons handwriting is better for learning
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

1. I'm calling bs on this claim about Finland: "Very few schools offer any handwriting training at all,” says Van der Meer.

2. This study is small and shows ONLY different electrical brain activity. This study shows nothing about "learning" or even "memory". Any educator of any value knows that memory, and especially "learning," need a specific definition (specific list of observable and measurable outcomes) in order to be investigated through research.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Derrek (May 10th, 2022), Dreck (October 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    1. I'm calling bs on this claim about Finland: "Very few schools offer any handwriting training at all,” says Van der Meer.
    Finland certainly phased out teaching cursive a few years ago to teach typing instead. There was a lot of discussion about it at the time.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,586 Times in 1,120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Finland certainly phased out teaching cursive a few years ago to teach typing instead. There was a lot of discussion about it at the time.
    Since 2016.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...skills-finland

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-...where-30146160

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Since 2016.

Thanks, but this article is about "CURSIVE (joined writing)". [emphasis mine]

Of course Finland has not abandoned "handwriting" to the point where "very few schools teach it at all."

Every school in Finland teaches students how to write by hand, whether they use a form of connected or unconnected lettering. It is a critical aspect of early literacy around the world.

The study in the OP is actually not about either "learning" or "memory," and these later posts are about "cursive," not handwriting in general. All these media titles are misleading, which becomes clear when one reads the articles.
    Last edited by TSherbs; October 3rd, 2020 at 02:20 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

mana (December 18th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 791 Posts

For those interested in the science behind this study you can check out this page:
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...020.01810/full

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

catbert (October 3rd, 2020), Hawker800 (October 3rd, 2020), TSherbs (October 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWhiteFilmPix View Post
    Actually, the conclusion of the study does not say this. It recommends a mixture of both handwriting and digital work, acknowledging the benefits of both.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWhiteFilmPix View Post
    Actually, the conclusion of the study does not say this. It recommends a mixture of both handwriting and digital work, acknowledging the benefits of both.
    To which one could add that the carry-on point is that handwriting lessons should not be dropped from school curricula.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    For those interested in the science behind this study you can check out this page:
    Thanks, Carlos.

The reason I have been replying so often here is that I am a teacher of reading and writing (35 years now), and so many media reports (usually just opinion pieces) make claims about the efficacy of cursive over printing (no such thing has yet been demonstrated) or handwriting over typing for learning. The Van der Meer and Van der Weel study from 2017 is the only one that I have ever seen that tried to look at the efficacy of handwriting (not cursive exclusively) over typing in terms of memory performance, and it did show a slight favor to handwriting (again, not cursive specifically) in the long term.

This study cites Van der Meer et al and claims to "support" it with its data on brain wave function. But this study did not look at any form of "learning" nor any form of actual memory retention, so it is limited in its "support" and, as the authors note, does not appear to be contradictory to Van der Meer. This study did use cursive, but was not comparing it against printed letter use, and the report interchangeably uses "cursive" with "handwriting," which we educators typically do not. We require assignments to be handwritten, some of which we require to be written in "cursive" (connected lettering). The authors claim only that the results show that connected writing "may" be correlated with better memory and learning. This study doesn't demonstrate whether it actually does or does not.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (October 3rd, 2020), catbert (October 3rd, 2020), eachan (October 4th, 2020), LeFreak (October 4th, 2020), mana (December 18th, 2020), Ole Juul (October 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Thanks, Carlos.

The reason I have been replying so often here is that I am a teacher of reading and writing (35 years now), and so many media reports (usually just opinion pieces) make claims about the efficacy of cursive over printing (no such thing has yet been demonstrated) or handwriting over typing for learning. The Van der Meer and Van der Weel study from 2017 is the only one that I have ever seen that tried to look at the efficacy of handwriting (not cursive exclusively) over typing in terms of memory performance, and it did show a slight favor to handwriting (again, not cursive specifically) in the long term.

This study cites Van der Meer et al and claims to "support" it with its data on brain wave function. But this study did not look at any form of "learning" nor any form of actual memory retention, so it is limited in its "support" and, as the authors note, does not appear to be contradictory to Van der Meer. This study did use cursive, but was not comparing it against printed letter use, and the report interchangeably uses "cursive" with "handwriting," which we educators typically do not. We require assignments to be handwritten, some of which we require to be written in "cursive" (connected lettering). The authors claim only that the results show that connected writing "may" be correlated with better memory and learning. This study doesn't demonstrate whether it actually does or does not.
    So, I will ask this; in your opinion, assuming no bias, have you observed or perceived one group (cursive writers, print writes, keyboarders, left or right handed writers) assimilated and/or retained material better than another?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Since 2016.

Thanks, but this article is about "CURSIVE (joined writing)". [emphasis mine]
    Yeah, that's what I said. Catbert didn't say any different either. I know you're desperate to get on your professional horse and ride it but at least read what was written before you saddle up.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 28th, 2022)

Thanks

Confirmation bias abounds.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    So, I will ask this; in your opinion, assuming no bias, have you observed or perceived one group (cursive writers, print writes, keyboarders, left or right handed writers) assimilated and/or retained material better than another?
    No, I have not observed this. But I teach high school, and all my students must write by hand or use their computers just about every day. And most of my students, like myself, use some hybrid form of connected and printed writing. Very few are 100% one way or the other. When I taught before laptops were widespread, I do not recall that the students had better memories.

I will say, however, that they did read more books back then, and that, I believe, has had far greater impact on their "learning," but that is a different matter.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

eachan (October 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Yeah, that's what I said. Catbert didn't say any different either. I know you're desperate to get on your professional horse and ride it but at least read what was written before you saddle up.
    I read every word of every post, from my comfy couch. Why, what are you sitting on?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    No, I have not observed this. But I teach high school, and all my students must write by hand or use their computers just about every day. And most of my students, like myself, use some hybrid form of connected and printed writing. Very few are 100% one way or the other. When I taught before laptops were widespread, I do not recall that the students had better memories.

I will say, however, that they did read more books back then, and that, I believe, has had far greater impact on their "learning," but that is a different matter.

Thanks.

Thanks

I do use cursive handwriting as a way to remember things in my muscle memory. However, I also use a keyboard for the same purpose. Whether it's handwriting (my preference is cursive) or keyboard, when I can't remember something, sometimes my fingers remember if I simply shut my eyes and type or write. Everyone has at least one preferred way of learning or remembering. I wouldn't be surprised if people other than me found cursive handwriting useful in this regard. I also wouldn't be surprised if some people find it completely useless.

Thanks

Of course, both skills are useful for a child, and it's difficult to single out a more useful one. I think it all depends on the child, and not on the way you enter text. Handwritten text is good for developing hand motor skills and a sense of use of space. But typing on the keyboard is better for memory and performance. However, if you look into the future, with its augmented and virtual reality, then both options take place. My child goes to the Kid City USA daycare now, but we are already trying to find a school, where both directions would be presented equally.
    Last edited by IreneD; April 8th, 2021 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks

I have repeatedly noticed that I remember information better when I write it down by hand. But there is a simple explanation for this. The computer is a dangerous thing in terms of available distractions. When I write something there are only a pen and paper in my field of vision. When I type something, I think about several computer-related things at the same time, for example, mail or an online store.

Thanks

It would be interesting to look at this study from a different angle. Is it possible to say that any of these methods would be preferable for children with developmental delay? I became a member of the fosterplus program and want to take custody of a neglected child. I have repeatedly heard about how very strange parents adhere to a philosophy like "let's not force the child to learn a lot in early childhood, he will be taught everything at school." But not as much! If a child is equally bad at both a pen and a keyboard, what is the best way to conduct training so that it can be presented to him in an entertaining way? I don't want to put pressure on him, but it is clearly time for him to develop skills that have long been developed by his peers.
    Last edited by german; February 1st, 2022 at 03:43 AM.