Thread: Chopin's travels, Éclat de Saphir, and déjà vu

Thanks

Default Chopin's travels, Éclat de Saphir, and déjà vu

Last year my brand new Chopin 145 developed ink flow issues after switching to cartridges. Mounting a J. Herbin cartridge had been difficult, and I thought a piece of plastic got stuck in the tube that accepts the cartridge. It did fine with J Herbin Éclat de Saphir in the converter after I got it back until March of this year, when the ink stopped flowing again. MB service diagnosed a corroded forepart and replaced the part.

Last month, the ink flow stopped again. Replacing the converter didn't help. Montblanc service fixed it again, tho the repair invoice doesn't say what they did.

J Herbin Éclat de Saphir ink in a converter stopped flowing through the just-repaired pen after a page or so this morning.

The pen wrote fine after flushing the the converter and filling it with Noodler's Dark Matter. After flushing and refilling with Éclat de Saphir, it again wouldn't write.

So, is it Éclat de Saphir in general or just that particular bottle? With a cartridge of Éclat de Saphir, it's writing.

Points to a bad bottle of EDS.

Has anyone had issues with J Herbin Éclat de Saphir? Thank you.
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; October 5th, 2020 at 01:53 PM.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Chopin's travels, Éclat de Saphir, and déjà vu

I've heard about some J.Herbin ink bottles suffering from SITB in the distant past, but they must be old stock bottles by now and I thought I read they had fixed the problem. It's possible you might still have a bad bottle though. It sounds odd that you're only having a problem with that one ink in that one pen.

Although Montblanc pens can accept International sized cartridges, their own brand ones have a longer trimmed edge shape at the front end so sometimes other brand cartridges don't fit properly. I can't get other brands to fit into the "sleigh" of my 147 and have to refill Mb cartridges for that pen or only use Mb originals.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (October 6th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Chopin's travels, Éclat de Saphir, and déjà vu

Thanks, Chrissy.

Threw out the 100ml bottle of EDS that I was refilling an old 30 ml bottle from.

A new 30 ml bottle is on the way.
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; October 7th, 2020 at 11:11 AM.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens