Thread: Sheaffer Lifetime nib - are they gold?

Thanks

Default Sheaffer Lifetime nib - are they gold?

I've got a Black Standard sized Balance Sheaffer and I don't know if the nib is gold or not. It says "Lifetime" on it. Can someone inform me?

It looks a lot like the nib on my Sheaffer Touchdown, which says 14K on it. I won't bother with a new picture since they're the pens I already talked about here: http://cgs.pw/stuff/OldPens.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 4,654 Times in 1,132 Posts

Default Re: Sheaffer Lifetime nib - are they gold?

In my limited experience, yes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (October 5th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

If it's gold it will have the same 14k hallmark on it as your Touchdown but it may be smaller and you might need a loupe in order to read it.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    If it's gold it will have the same 14k hallmark on it as your Touchdown but it may be smaller and you might need a loupe in order to read it.
    There is no 14K or 585 anywhere. I've examined it with quite high power magnification. (Like I do with everything that comes into my possession ) I did find a note somewhere on the interwebs about not all nibs being marked, despite the gold content.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    There is no 14K or 585 anywhere. I've examined it with quite high power magnification. (Like I do with everything that comes into my possession ) I did find a note somewhere on the interwebs about not all nibs being marked, despite the gold content.
    I've had a look around and found the same information. It would appear that not all of those issued pre 1950's were marked 14k.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I read something similar:
    http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/in...e-nib-content/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I seem to recall that you can find stamping on the underside of Sheaffer nibs. I might be wrong about that, but some dusty bell is ringing regarding Sheaffer making marks under the nib.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Thanks! That's a great thread. I'm going to take that as my answer. Yes, don't believe everything you read on the internet, but that thread seems to have some pretty knowledgeable people responding.

Also, that nib looks like it's been thoroughly wiped and polished many times in its life, and still it's got the color and tone of solid gold.

Thanks everybody for taking the time to respond.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

catbert (October 5th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Yes, they are 14k gold.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

... that thread seems to have some pretty knowledgeable people responding.
    Yes, I thought so. It stands out from a bunch of other threads on the same topic for that reason.

Anyway, enjoy your Lifetime nibs. Mine are great writers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

Pen manufacturers did not stamp the gold content on their pens as late as the 1930s, maybe 40s. You won't find it on the underside of the nib either. Having said that, the vintage nibs that I have tested (that includes Sheaffer and Parker nibs) have been in the range of 14K.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

catbert (October 6th, 2020), Ole Juul (October 6th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

What Ron has said, my Sheaffer Triumph has a "Lifetime" Triumph (conical) nib, does have the 14K stamp.

Though I do have a Sheaffer Standard Balance in Ebonized Pearl Flakes with a #5 Feathertouch nib that I know for sure is a 14K gold nib (never seen a Feathertouch that wasn't, much like never seeing a Lifetime nib that wasn't). Likewise the the Sheaffer Balance Craftman I have in Rose Glow with a #3 is 14K, as well as a Sheaffer Balance Junior with a #3, also not marked but is 14K. These are to the best of my knowledge, late 1920s.

The Parker Challenger (1937) I have is also a 14K gold nib, but is not marked, likewise my Parker Vacumatic Junior 3rd Gen (1945 2nd quarter) in Azure is not marked just says "Parker USA" (unless it's deeper down the tail)

But also seems to vary by brand (and if they had any real estate to place the stamp on the nib size), my Wahls for example have the 14K marking on the two #4 Personal Point (Flexible B, Signature M) from the late 20s to late 30s, as well as on my late 20s "Wahl Pen" with a #2 "Signature" nib. But it's not marked on my "Wahl 2" semiflex needlepoint on an early to mid 1920s Wahl 431A gold filled pen (has a clip, so probably fitted with a #2 after the fact). But there's a couple examples of 14K gold nibs for Wahl/Eversharp on some pens of the 1940s such as not seeing it on an early Modern Moire Skyline, but seeing it on a newer Skyline, but then gone again on the more economy Symphony and Skyliner.

14K is not marked on my Waterman "Ideal Canada" #5 Medium flex nib unless it's hiding in the grip under the "5", the pen, a woodgrain Waterman 55, is from the early to mid 1920s I think.

I also have a WASP #7 nib (Sheaffer Subbrand) which I don't think I've seen any examples marked, and while it seems to be sold by many as being a 14K nib, I think it's 12K based on what I could look up (which I guess makes sense for a economic subbrand).

Basically as Ron said, it seems that the nib marking is typically hit/miss in the 1930s~1940s, and I suspect that advertisement did the trick enough rather than needing to mark it (like the "Warranted 14K" generics). And examples I've seen of pens after the 1940s seems to typically have the stamp, even if its just hidden in the grip around the tail somewhere.

Nutshell : Knowing the pen/nib model helps, such as knowing (to my knowledge) that none of the Lifetime nibs wouldn't be Steel (wouldn't last a "Lifetime" with the vintage alloy), likewise the Sheaffer "Feathertouch".

19. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (October 6th, 2020)