Thread: Aluminum pen

Thanks

Default Aluminum pen

I’ve got a Montegrappa Moon Landing pen and I’ve got some tiny black spots appearing on the section which is matte aluminum. At first I thought it was ink but I couldn’t clean it off with vinegar, alcohol or mineral spirits. I’m thinking that it could be the aluminum blackening from oxidation, I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 427 Posts

Default Re: Aluminum pen

Wasn't this already answered in the "Ink Stain" topic in the General Inky Goodness forum?

Ron Zorn wrote:

"It could be though, that the staining is a result of the anodizing process used on the finish of the pen. Anodizing, usually used on aluminum to color the material, can create a porous finish. It could very well be the finish, and not the ink, that is the reason it that the stain won't come off.

Wikipedia: Some aluminium aircraft parts, architectural materials, and consumer products are anodized. Anodized aluminium can be found on MP3 players, smartphones, multi-tools, flashlights, cookware, cameras, sporting goods, firearms, window frames, roofs, in electrolytic capacitors, and on many other products both for corrosion resistance and the ability to retain dye. Although anodizing only has moderate wear resistance, the deeper pores can better retain a lubricating film than a smooth surface would.
    (bold type added) "
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

Thanks

There’s more spots appearing around the parts that my fingers contact the section even though it hasn’t had contact with any ink of any sort. Which is why I’m asking here if it could be a result of corrosion from my sweaty hands

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 427 Posts

You might want to add some close-up pictures of the problem section so that other members may be able to try and help.
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

5. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 8th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Wasn't this already answered in the "Ink Stain" topic in the General Inky Goodness forum?

Ron Zorn wrote:

"It could be though, that the staining is a result of the anodizing process used on the finish of the pen. Anodizing, usually used on aluminum to color the material, can create a porous finish. It could very well be the finish, and not the ink, that is the reason it that the stain won't come off.

Wikipedia: Some aluminium aircraft parts, architectural materials, and consumer products are anodized. Anodized aluminium can be found on MP3 players, smartphones, multi-tools, flashlights, cookware, cameras, sporting goods, firearms, window frames, roofs, in electrolytic capacitors, and on many other products both for corrosion resistance and the ability to retain dye. Although anodizing only has moderate wear resistance, the deeper pores can better retain a lubricating film than a smooth surface would.
    (bold type added) "
    Yes it was already answered in the Inky Thoughts forum.
    Ron has already said that it isn't necessarily caused by ink.
    I think that the best people to answer the question are the manufacturers. If it had been my pen they would have it back by now to investigate the problem.
    Last edited by Chrissy; October 9th, 2020 at 12:29 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens