Thread: Nib creep on m8XX?

Thanks

Default Nib creep on m8XX?

Hey everyone, recently got the m815 in EF nib. Is nib creep normal on pelikans? Im using namiki and montblanc at the moment

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

Default Re: Nib creep on m8XX?

Quote Originally Posted by Z3ke View Post
    Hey everyone, recently got the m815 in EF nib. Is nib creep normal on pelikans? Im using namiki and montblanc at the moment
    No, nib creep is not normal on Pelikans or on any particular pen brand. Rather than being a problem with the Pelikan brand it's more likely to be the ink. Your best option might be to try a Pelikan 4001 ink as they tend to be drier inks. I would expect Namiki inks to be wetter but some Montblanc inks are also drier writing inks.

Have you unscrewed the nib unit? If so you might not have replaced it quite tightly enough.

Another possibility is that any nib creep might be lessened if the piston is full. Sometimes when a wet ink fill is starting to run down it can be more likely increase flow out more.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Barry B. Gabay (October 10th, 2020), BlkWhiteFilmPix (October 10th, 2020), Z3ke (October 10th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    No, nib creep is not normal on Pelikans or on any particular pen brand. Rather than being a problem with the Pelikan brand it's more likely to be the ink. Your best option might be to try a Pelikan 4001 ink as they tend to be drier inks. I would expect Namiki inks to be wetter but some Montblanc inks are also drier writing inks.

Have you unscrewed the nib unit? If so you might not have replaced it quite tightly enough.

Another possibility is that any nib creep might be lessened if the piston is full. Sometimes when a wet ink fill is starting to run down it can be more likely increase flow out more.
    Thanks for this. havent unscrewed the nib unit, i did check the pen and filled it with ink to try out right away. So just stick to a dryer ink? diamine is ok as well?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

Thanks for this. havent unscrewed the nib unit, i did check the pen and filled it with ink to try out right away. So just stick to a dryer ink? diamine is ok as well?
    If you haven't unscrewed the nib unit then it should not be loose. Yes try a different ink. Diamine might be worth a try
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Z3ke (October 10th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 427 Posts

Also don't forgot that when you do a full fill, to back off on the piston to release 3 drops back into the bottle so that the pen isn't overfilled. Sometimes too much ink results in nib creep.
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

ceebert (January 16th, 2021), Chrissy (October 10th, 2020), Z3ke (October 10th, 2020)