Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheaffer Connaisseurs

Thanks

Default Sheaffer Connaisseurs

This model, in all its variations, is one of my favorite modern fountain pens. Made between mid-1980s and late 1990s, the series had several versions. Connaisseur Type I came in black, burgundy, green, and blue and had a flat cap band. Type II was available in the same colors, but had a wider, rounded cap band which extended over the end of the cap for greater protection of the cap lip. Sheaffer teamed up with Levenger and produced a Connaisseur in the Seas collection. Seas Type I had various colors named after particular seas. Its clip and trim resembled the Connaisseur II. Then, came Seas Type II with a different clip, a metal cap crown, and a wider, flat cap band. The Connaisseurs had 18K nibs, while the Seas versions had 14K nibs. They were c/c fillers. They had straight sections in Connaisseur I and most Connaisseur IIs. Straight and scalloped sections also came on Seas I. All Seas II have scalloped sections. My photos do not present a complete set of any of the Connaisseur versions. For an authoritative and comprehensive description of the Connaisseur (and Grande Connaisseur) read the late Dennis Bowden's article in Pennant, Summer 2006. Unfortunately, I can not find it at the moment. Photo 1, L to R: Connaisseur Type I black, Type II burgundy. Seas I, Seas II. In photo 2, the green Seas Type I has a Grande Connaisseur section & nib. The other photos show details which I believe are self-explanatory. Enjoy the photos and stay healthy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Barry B. Gabay For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amk (June 30th, 2022), azkid (October 11th, 2020), Bisquitlips (November 13th, 2023), catbert (October 10th, 2020), Chrissy (October 10th, 2020), Detman101 (October 10th, 2020), Ole Juul (October 10th, 2020), pajaro (November 10th, 2020), penwash (October 10th, 2020), Scrawler (February 15th, 2023), Woody (October 19th, 2023), Yazeh (June 29th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Default Re: Sheaffer Connaisseurs

Thanks Barry, they are fabulous pens. I really like the look of them. However, they are rarely seen on ebay.co.uk.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Barry B. Gabay (October 10th, 2020), Bisquitlips (November 13th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Thanks for sharing this Barry. I've probably seen them at pen shows, but I've never hold / write with one.

How are they in terms of writing experience? Do they feel substantial and well-finished?
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Barry B. Gabay (October 10th, 2020)

Thanks

Hi Penwash,

The Connaisseur is a moderately large fountain pen (#6-size-nib). Though of substantial size, it is quite light weight. Though it accepts all modern Sheaffer converters, I use mine with cartridges because that is my preferred filling method.

They are very well made. I have owned some for more than 20 years and their trim has lost barely any plating.

Enjoy your weekend.
    Barry

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barry B. Gabay For This Useful Post:

amk (October 11th, 2020), Bisquitlips (November 13th, 2023), penwash (October 10th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Thanks, Barry! I trimmed my mini-collection of Connaisseaurs down to just my favorite, a black "Type IV" with wide band and Sheaffer factory stub nib. Last week I posted a photo of the top half of it in the pen photos subform, since it has been in rotation for quite a while, filled with Oster Caffe Crema. Note Richard Binder's comment about this version on his Connaisseaur page.

Note also that the Sheaffer Vintage model (yes, that is the name!) is essentially a Connaisseur with a marble pattern cap and barrel and gold-plated steel nib, and likewise accepts converters and cartridges.
    Last edited by FredRydr; October 10th, 2020 at 06:07 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Another fan here. But quiet. Don't tell everybody.

Last edited by jar; October 10th, 2020 at 06:29 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi Chrissy, On ebay.co.uk, I see more Grande Connaisseurs listed than Connaisseurs. Hope you & yours are all healthy. Barry

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Barry B. Gabay For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 11th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Barry B. Gabay View Post
    Hi Penwash,

The Connaisseur is a moderately large fountain pen (#6-size-nib). Though of substantial size, it is quite light weight. Though it accepts all modern Sheaffer converters, I use mine with cartridges because that is my preferred filling method.

They are very well made. I have owned some for more than 20 years and their trim has lost barely any plating.

Enjoy your weekend.
    Barry
    Barry, please call me Will

Do they made these in ebonite? I would imagine if they do make one with woodgrain ebonite, it would look very impressive (and very difficult for me to resist).
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Hi Fred,

Your Type IV is right rare with its wide cap band. Don't think I have ever seen one in the flesh. I remember that you are partial to Sheaffer stub nibs. Binder's Connaisseur page is very informative. I found the first link below just now. I believe the photo in it is from one of the Dennis Bowden articles in Pennant. The second link is from my Bookmarks. I think it was made by Gary Ellison, a very friendly guy and UK Sheaffer authority. However, I can not get it to open now. One of the great aspects of this website is learning so much from so many genuine people. Thanks, Fred. Hope you three are all healthy. Barry

PS I think of the Vintage as a high-end No Nonsense rather than a modified Connaisseur. Of course, all three models are all based on the same profile with interchangeable caps, barrels, sections, and feeds.

https://www.penparents.org/Sheaffer/...r-fountain-pen The translation of this article from English to something else then back to English is very curious. Sounds like me trying to check into a hotel or order in a restaurant with a phrase book in my hand.

http://www.sheaffertarga.com/Connais...ce%20list.html
    Last edited by Barry B. Gabay; October 11th, 2020 at 07:05 AM. Reason: additional information

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Barry B. Gabay For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (October 11th, 2020)

Thanks

Hello Will, Nice to meet you. I have never seen a reference to an ebonite Connaisseur. A woodgrain ebonite would certainly be a beauty. One can always wish. Best wishes, Barry

Thanks

I never heard of these pens until recently, when I came across one on pen_swap. It looked nice and had a gold nib, so I decided to give it a go.

It's a lovely big pen, burgundy with gold trim. Very nice wet Medium nib and comfortable in the hand.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Richard Binder also has a very nice article about them on his website. I should post a picture of the ones I have... Barry knows what I'm talking about.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Barry B. Gabay (November 14th, 2020), Motomachi10 (August 8th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    ...I should post a picture of the ones I have....
    I'd like a black chased one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Picture or the pen? I have both. Richard and I both were able to by one when we visited the Sheaffer service center before it closed in 2008. Pick the pen, pick the nib, pick the box, off the shelf. Rather cool. Along with the Persimmon orange Prelude, it will be one of the last pens that I sell....

As for the chased pattern Connaisseur, this is one that I sold a number of years ago.

...and just for fun, one of the pens I put together, starting with a No Nonsense Vintage. Trim and buttons came from a dead Connaisseur, I added the white dot.

Here's the orange one that I made. I turned the ends from cast acrylic rod stock. I had to gold plate the clip.
    Last edited by Ron Z; November 11th, 2020 at 01:24 PM.

Visit Main Street Pens

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

amk (June 30th, 2022), Barry B. Gabay (November 12th, 2020), Chrissy (November 13th, 2020), Cyril (May 16th, 2023), pajaro (November 11th, 2020), Robalone (July 4th, 2022), Scrawler (February 15th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Picture or the pen? I have both....it will be one of the last pens that I sell....
    Can't blame you.

Ron, do you add weight (to the barrels) as well?

Nice dot.

Thanks

I do put a brass plug in the end of the barrel since it makes a difference in the feel of the pen. The dot is OEM.

I should add that Richards page on the pen has an exploded view.
    Last edited by Ron Z; November 11th, 2020 at 02:19 PM.

Visit Main Street Pens

Thanks

Ron just posted and sold in the classifieds this black lacquer Sheaffer Grand Connaisseur with a stub nib.

Is this a metal version painted with black lacquer? Where is the "S" imprinted, or is that the chalk mark?

I have the same black Connaisseur with stub nib, though my impression is the cap and barrel are precious plastic. My pen has no "S" notation and a mono-color nib. Note the wider cap band.

IMG_3291.jpeg

Aren't these lovely pens?! I had other colors, but black is the most elegant.
    Last edited by FredRydr; June 29th, 2022 at 06:50 AM.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Barry Gabay (July 4th, 2022), Chrissy (June 29th, 2022), CrayonAngelss (June 29th, 2022), Yazeh (June 29th, 2022)

Thanks

This is the black lacquer version. Details were in the listing. If you look at the picture, you'll see the seam where the brass ended, and the plastic threads begin. The weight of the pen (and individual parts) were significantly heavier than the plastic counterpart. The S is the chalk mark on the section - also described in the listing. The larger, two tone nib unit with a metal thread bushing was used in the Grand Connaisseur.

Visit Main Street Pens

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Barry Gabay (July 4th, 2022), Chrissy (June 29th, 2022), FredRydr (June 29th, 2022), Yazeh (June 29th, 2022)

Thanks

Thanks, Ron, for the additional insight on the Connaisseur range of pens. For posterity (before you remove your listing), I add here some of your commentary for that lacquered brass pen:

The Sheaffer Targa site says that these were made between 1988 and 1996. I've never handled one before this one. The tip off is the weight. The plastic Connaisseur weighs 24.7 grams, this one 40.5, so it feels substantial in your hand. The nib is a mint and chalkmarked 1.1mm stub. These were made in both the USA and UK. This one's cap band is marked "England."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

To celebrate the publication of a book with a focus on water, I bought a Sheaffer/Levenger Mediterranean fountain pen, fine nib.

It's a wonderful, smooth writer: I signed thousands of books with it. The color is still deep and brilliant. Never had a bit of trouble with it.

I have a fairly large collection now and it's still a favorite.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

Barry Gabay (July 4th, 2022)