Thread: Can anyone identify this pen?

Thanks

Default Can anyone identify this pen?

I purchased this pen off Ebay not too long ago. It was sold as an "Aurora" (buyer beware) but I am almost certain it is a Pilot. Vintage, of course, but I am unable to find any sources online to help me with the identification of a specific model. I have posted some pictures here. The nib reads "special ideal pen". The pen has a plunger mechanism, which, according to the seller, is to be pulled out, then eyedropper filled, then pushed back in (I initially thought it was a vac fill but it is not). Figured I would come here to my trusty fountain pen experts in an effort to ID this one.

IMG_20201012_165023889.jpgIMG_20201012_165119072.jpgIMG_20201012_165054321.jpgIMG_20201012_165035233.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcR1030 For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (October 17th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Can anyone identify this pen?

No idea about id. But that is a very good looking pen.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

MarcR1030 (October 12th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

It doesn't look like any Aurora or Pilot pen I've ever seen. (Not that I've seen many Pilot pens.)
    If I was to guess from those pictures and description, especially of that nib, I would put forward the suggestion that it's an inexpensive, no brand pen, that was made in China.

If it had been sold to me on ebay as an Aurora I would have submitted a report to ebay that it was significantly not as described and requested a return and refund.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

MarcR1030 (October 13th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

The plunger is more likely a shut off valve to control ink flow. The general shape is kinda like some Platinum pens I've seen and most likely originally had a gold nib that was removed during the war and replaced with a steel nib. The current nib may also be a recent addition.

Aurora & Platinum did have some relationship. Platinum was one if not the first cartridge pen makers and the early Aurora Pens can still use Platinum in cartridges.

Areas where you should show concern:

The rear seal around the shot of shaft was a known failure point. Begin with water not ink until you can be sure there are no leaks from either end.

The front seal is also often in bad shape and need replacing.
    Last edited by jar; October 13th, 2020 at 05:06 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

MarcR1030 (October 13th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    It doesn't look like any Aurora or Pilot pen I've ever seen. (Not that I've seen many Pilot pens.)
    If I was to guess from those pictures and description, especially of that nib, I would put forward the suggestion that it's an inexpensive, no brand pen, that was made in China.

If it had been sold to me on ebay as an Aurora I would have submitted a report to ebay that it was significantly not as described and requested a return and refund.

Thanks, Chrissy. I purchased this pen knowing that it was uncertain what the make and model was. I just knew I really liked the print on the body and was willing to take the risk of purchasing and finding out later. I certainly did not buy it believing or sincerely hoping it was an Aurora. Pitfalls of buying off Ebay I suppose. Thanks for the concern!
    Last edited by MarcR1030; October 13th, 2020 at 06:55 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    The plunger is more likely a shut off valve to control ink flow. The general shape is kinda like some Platinum pens I've seen and most likely originally had a gold nib that was removed during the war and replaced with a steel nib. The current nib may also be a recent addition.

Aurora & Platinum did have some relationship. Platinum was one if not the first cartridge pen makers and the early Aurora Pens can still use Platinum in cartridges.

Areas where you should show concern:

The rear seal around the shot of shaft was a known failure point. Begin with water not ink until you can be sure there are no leaks from either end.

The front seal is also often in bad shape and need replacing.
    Jar, thank you, this certainly has provided me the most information to date regarding this pen! It was certainly strange to see a shut-valve resemble a plunger on a vac-fill, but I think you are correct that it is simply a valve to control ink flow. I also agree it does appear that the nib is not stock based on the color and imprint. Further, I had no idea about the Aurora/Platinum relationship, very interesting. I really appreciate you providing this information. Let's see if other users chime in and can assist in our investigation