Thread: Just ordered a 1911L!

Thanks

Default Just ordered a 1911L!

I've been eyeing a Sailor 1911L or KoP for a while now, and had my eyes on the Wicked Witch or hoping for some substantial deal on a KoP. Well, today Endless Pens had a deal on the 1911L, so I picked one up for <$200, which I think is a good deal.
    Got the Simple Black with the zoom nib, because, well, Sailor.

Looking forward to trying it! I fear, though, that the original two desires may not completely go away with this purchase ...

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

Default Re: Just ordered a 1911L!

Congrats. Sailor makes nice pens.
    "Love is the final fight."

Thanks

I got a 1911L Black Luster thinking it was comparable to the KOP in size. Bit disappointed in that department but a beautiful writer nevertheless. Now I’m hunting a KOP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Mars View Post
    I got a 1911L Black Luster thinking it was comparable to the KOP in size. Bit disappointed in that department but a beautiful writer nevertheless. Now I’m hunting a KOP.
    Do you find the black luster different from the regular 1911? I have one and the nib feels similar, if not the exact same as the regular. The pen feels a bit more premium because of the trim, and the ionized handle, but overall I am not sure it was worth the price.

Thanks

So the pen arrived. First impressions:
    This is the 1911 Large? I had to check the measurements to verify. It's not particularly large - same length as my Montblanc 145, although with a bit more girth. Nice size, just was expecting it to feel large; it doesn't.
    Second, the zoom nib really appears to me to be essentially a B/BB nib that also writes as an EF upside down. Vertical "F" writing is so uncomfortable sound and feel wise to be essentially useless and the line variation in a reasonable range of holding angles is relatively small. It appears to me so far as a fountain pen that writes like a marker or an EF - a two-trick pony. It writes in both of these modes well. It's got the potential to grow on me, but I'm thinking I might have been better off with a standard nib.
    Oh and wow- what a lot of material on the nib!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sworist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Mars View Post
    Do you find the black luster different from the regular 1911? I have one and the nib feels similar, if not the exact same as the regular. The pen feels a bit more premium because of the trim, and the ionized handle, but overall I am not sure it was worth the price.
    Yes, it does feels different. Nib seems a bit stiffer and tighter. The pen is weighted towards the section as it's made of metal, but balance is good. Ordered my KOP Ebonite broad nib. Shop agreed to let me pay it off over 6 months.