Thread: Manu Propria

Thanks

Default Manu Propria

Hi,

I am interested in hearing opinions about Manu Propria pens. I have so far just seen the one review from sbrebrown. Any other reviews out there?

Thanks
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Hellbent (October 20th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Manu Propria

Great! I had not seen those posts. Looks like people are happy with the pens.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

I got to handle a few at the DC show a few years back. They look pretty great in person. Didn't get to write with one.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Martin Pauli regularly post about his newest creations here, and he answer questions, sometimes describe his processes in details.

For me personally, when it comes to high-end custom handmade pens like his, you would gain a lot more by interacting with the maker and get to know their philosophy in pen-making, rather than relying on someone else's opinions which are also subjective.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

amk (October 21st, 2020), azkid (October 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Martin Pauli regularly post about his newest creations here, and he answer questions, sometimes describe his processes in details.

For me personally, when it comes to high-end custom handmade pens like his, you would gain a lot more by interacting with the maker and get to know their philosophy in pen-making, rather than relying on someone else's opinions which are also subjective.
    Yes well I have read quite a bit about the process and philosophy behind the pens. I'm looking for reviews and opinions regarding build quality and how the pens compare to others. Not sure I would prefer to listen to the maker regarding those things'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbent View Post

Yes well I have read quite a bit about the process and philosophy behind the pens. I'm looking for reviews and opinions regarding build quality and how the pens compare to others. Not sure I would prefer to listen to the maker regarding those things'
    It's a unique custom hand-made pen, comparing it to other pens will just yield one result: Different.

If you're only concerned about how tight the cap, is the clip wobbly, or any kind of construction issues like that, you could just make an agreement with the maker that he'll agree to refund you if you can demonstrate to him that his build quality is subpar than normal. I think any artisan worth considering would guarantee his/her works.

The point of my statement is not regarding wobbly clip or untight cap, my point is more about appreciating what the maker intended for his creations, if it were me (not speaking for you or anyone else), I would love the opportunity to get to know the thinking that goes behind the creation of the pen.

Again, this is strictly regarding a custom, handmade pen, if we're talking about commodity pens, then maybe you are right, find someone else's opinion and follow that.

I'm trying to offer a perspective, not to debate you on this, at the end of the day, you're on the market for one of Martin's pens, I am not, so do as you will, and good luck, hopefully we'll see your review as a happy customer one day
    - Will

Thanks

It's a unique custom hand-made pen, comparing it to other pens will just yield one result: Different.

If you're only concerned about how tight the cap, is the clip wobbly, or any kind of construction issues like that, you could just make an agreement with the maker that he'll agree to refund you if you can demonstrate to him that his build quality is subpar than normal. I think any artisan worth considering would guarantee his/her works.

The point of my statement is not regarding wobbly clip or untight cap, my point is more about appreciating what the maker intended for his creations, if it were me (not speaking for you or anyone else), I would love the opportunity to get to know the thinking that goes behind the creation of the pen.

Again, this is strictly regarding a custom, handmade pen, if we're talking about commodity pens, then maybe you are right, find someone else's opinion and follow that.

I'm trying to offer a perspective, not to debate you on this, at the end of the day, you're on the market for one of Martin's pens, I am not, so do as you will, and good luck, hopefully we'll see your review as a happy customer one day
    Thank you for your contribution. I would still like to view/read some reviews in addition to talking to the maker. And yes I will definitely post a thorough review if I decide to buy a Manu Propria pen.
    Last edited by Hellbent; October 20th, 2020 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks

Like "Manoeuver", I had a chance to see and handle Manu Propria pens a few years back. Although I thought they looked great, I didn't buy one at the time.

Martin has been posting his pens here for a while now, and when I saw one I really liked, I decided to give it a shot. The pen I bought is called "Kimono Stripe" and is an hommage to a Dunhill Namiki from the 1930's that Bonham's sold at auction for many thousands of dollars. Here is the Manu Propria pen I bought:

I corresponded a bit with Martin prior to my purchase. He was extremely responsive, in fact, his responses were almost immediate. I couldn't have asked for better. The pen arrived in what I thought to be a really creative ebonite pen case with a matching motif

I really hadn't expected this and was excited and delighted when I saw it. I found it to be quite charming.

Now, about the pen itself. I thought the gold nib was really just "meh". I replaced it with an 18K Broad Architect nib I had and have been a lot happier. I suppose the nib I received could be tuned to perform more to my taste, but there haven't been any shows at which I could visit a nibmeister, and with the replacement nib in the pen I havn't seen the need to have the original nib tuned.

I am a big fan of Nakaya. Quite honestly, while I absolutely love the design on the Manu Propria, I don't find the depth and quality of the urushi finish to be quite the same level on the Manu Propria. It is certainly not bad or objectionable in any way. It's just that I find the finish on Nakayas to be superior. But without question, Martin does some of the most creative adaptations of the most beautiful traditional designs to be had.

Just on a whim, I decided to try the Manu Propria in a Nakaya Aka Tamenuri desk stand I hadn't been using at all. Perfecto! They look like they were made for each other, and to my total surprise the pen does not dry out in the stand even if I don't use it for several days at a time. THis pairing sits happily on my desk at all times - the only desk pen that I have liked enough to keep there.

All in all, I am very happy with my purchase and will certainly keep my eyes open for another Manu Pripria pen.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to whichwatch For This Useful Post:

amk (October 21st, 2020), Hellbent (October 20th, 2020), manoeuver (October 20th, 2020), Robert (October 20th, 2020)

Thanks

Thanks @whichwatch! Great review, pen and stand

Thanks

As penwash said, Mr. Pauli makes great pens. However....... I think when you get to that pricepoint, there are some things to consider. This is off topic, but I think it is important to say nonetheless

1. What is your desired penshape, body weight, nib? Nib especially is important.

2. What kind of art do you want on the pen? Urushi, I think is a functional art piece and different artists have their own stylistic differences.

For example, if you like the Edison Collier penshape, you can have one custom made for you out of different materials @Edison Pens. Then you can get a Jowo nib or you can send it to Shawn Newton for a custom section to fit... any threaded nib (aurora, sailor to name a few).... afterwards you can send it to Mr. Pauli, or any artist that is still taking customs.

At this point, it is not about how well the pen writes - because it will write well, and in the case it doesn't you can send it off to a nib meister. What characteristics you want the nib to have, what body and pen shape is most comfortable for you, and what art style makes your day when looking at it determines everything....

My 2cents

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sworist For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I actually went ahead and ordered a pen from Martin. He was very helpful and swift in replying to all my questions. I went with a bamboo pen and asked for a custom italic grind on the gold nib. Yesterday I received the pen and am very happy so far. I might get around to do a more formal review when I have more time, like when the kids are all grown up
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CG2NSAgB...on_share_sheet

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hellbent For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 27th, 2020)

Thanks

I actually went ahead and ordered a pen from Martin. He was very helpful and swift in replying to all my questions. I went with a bamboo pen and asked for a custom italic grind on the gold nib. Yesterday I received the pen agladnd am very happy so far. I might get around to do a more formal review when I have more time, like when the kids are all grown up
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CG2NSAgB...on_share_sheet
    Very cool, I'm glad that your experience is positive and sounds wonderful.

And I love the photo of the pen on your instagram.
    - Will

20. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Hellbent (October 27th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

That's a beauty! I would love that nib.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Hellbent (October 27th, 2020)