Thread: Faber Castell Ondoro Graphite

Thanks
    Thanked 6,701 Times in 1,971 Posts

Default Faber Castell Ondoro Graphite

Years ago, back when I first got introduced to the madness of browsing the internet for pens, I saw a pen that caught my attention. It's a curiously shaped pen, with a cap that looks almost too big for the pen, totally weird proportions, and the barrel looks uncomfortably big and faceted. The section is even worse, for it is incredulously short and stubby.

Yet for some reason I can't forget about that pen, and kept thinking that I would actually enjoy using it. It's not a rare pen, at any moment I can just buy it off many places, but I never did. Then I got into vintage pens, and well, the pen seems to move into my forever "one day" slot

Until a few weeks ago, I managed to get this pen along with a few others.

Yep, the one that I fell in love with is the Smoked Oak version, but this Graphite one is as close as I can get to it. And I was right! I love this pen, I love everything about this pen, including the awkward proportions, big faceted barrel, and yes, the short and stubby section

Not to mention the immaculately strategic placements of the Faber-Castell logo on the cap finial and the nib:

One more design highlight. I think the way the cap is fastened by the ring at the edge of the section, is very cool. This makes it possible for part of the barrel where your fingers are, to be completely smooth without any need for a ring or tabs or other mechanism to secure the cap.

I use this pen unposted, just like how I tend to use all my pens except the ones that are designed to be posted. But this pen can be posted securely and it's not terribly back-heavy when it is.

Alright, let's get on.

Hands On: Let me just get this one out: This is a comfortable pen. The faceted barrel somehow just position itself, cradled by my hand. Too big for those with small hands? Maybe, but in my medium-sized hand, it's perfect. This lightweight Graphite would be a boon for those who writes (or sketch) for a long periods of time. By the way this plastic material is also available in other colors: Orange, White, and Grey, I think that's all. Filling system: C/C that is ... well, practical. Nothing else to report here, next.

Lights On: This pen looks awesome, and handsome. Whoever designed this pen deserves an award. The cap is nice and beefy, not as heavy as it looks, with a nice springy clip. Of course a fingerprint and smudge magnet, but then I can buff it with a piece of cloth and it's back to its shiny self. Being a used pen, the shiny black barrel now has some parts that are no longer shiny, but hey, no marks, scratches, or notches. Still looks awesome.

Write On: The nib is steel, but the famous Faber-Castell steel nib. The design is just cool, no breather hole, dimples as ornaments, and of course, the logo. Firm Medium is what I would call this. And by Medium, it's Medium-Broad for those who are used to Japanese nib sizes. I think I still can sketch with this nib, just need to go bigger

Move On: If it's not clear to you by now, I love this pen. Having this Graphite one only makes me yearn more for the Smoked Oak version, so in the low possibility that you have one that you just can't stand, give me a buzz, I'll give it a new home.

I'm not holding my breath.
    Last edited by penwash; October 22nd, 2020 at 11:51 AM.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

amk (October 24th, 2020), azkid (October 22nd, 2020), Chrissy (October 22nd, 2020), Detman101 (October 22nd, 2020), digitalsedition (October 22nd, 2020), fountainpenkid (October 27th, 2020), junglejim (October 22nd, 2020), manoeuver (October 28th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Re: Faber Castell Ondoro Graphite

Really interesting looking pen. Thanks for the great review!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

penwash (October 24th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Really interesting looking pen. Thanks for the great review!
    Glad you find it useful. I so very rarely review modern pens. And I have to say, the feeling that I just can buy the pen I review is nice ... once in a while
    - Will

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Thank you for the review.

I also found the F-C steel nib in my Loom to be good enough to compare against many, much more expensive, nibs.

P.S. The smoked oak version is available on Amazon.co.uk
    Last edited by Chrissy; October 23rd, 2020 at 02:50 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

I also found the F-C steel nib in my Loom to be good enough to compare against many, much more expensive, nibs.

Their steel nibs seem to be very consistent in quality.

Actually a few weeks ago I spotted a listing on ebay that offer the Smoked Oak version at a much lower price than other places, and I let it slip by me.

But, if anything, collecting vintage pens has taught me patience, so I'll patiently wait for the Smoked Oak that "follows me home".

In the meantime, I have this Graphite version.
    - Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

Actually a few weeks ago I spotted a listing on ebay that offer the Smoked Oak version at a much lower price than other places, and I let it slip by me.

But, if anything, collecting vintage pens has taught me patience, so I'll patiently wait for the Smoked Oak that "follows me home".

The smoked oak version also comes with a steel section that might be more slippery than the one you have.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

The smoked oak version also comes with a steel section that might be more slippery than the one you have.
    That's a good point. I usually do not prefer smooth metal sections.

But the section on this pen is so short, there's really nowhere that my fingers can slip on. Maybe this is intentional (if it were, I'm even more impressed).
    - Will

Thanks

I have the oak and the orange Ondoros, and while I don't covet any other colours, those two pens are wonderful users that see regular desk time.

Come to think of it, it's time the oak came out to play again!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    I have the oak and the orange Ondoros, and while I don't covet any other colours, those two pens are wonderful users that see regular desk time.

Come to think of it, it's time the oak came out to play again!
    That's cool!

Feel free to post photos of your Ondoro's here.
    - Will

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Thanks for the breezy review! I got this pen’s more pricey aesthetic cousin, the GvFC Intuition, this spring and have been really enjoying it, stocky and girthy as it is, ever since. I find the similarities between them very interesting, considering the vast difference in price. It’d be fun to hear your thoughts on the Intuition...I’ve sent you a p.m in case you’d like to try mine out for a couple weeks.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

penwash (October 30th, 2020)

Thanks

Will, have you checked out the latest prices for the Ondoro's on Amazon? GB£66 is the pre Black Friday price on Amazon.co.uk. Cheaper than all of those I saw on ebay.
    Last edited by Chrissy; October 30th, 2020 at 08:40 AM.

Thanks

Will, have you checked out the latest prices for the Ondoro's on Amazon? GB£66 is the pre Black Friday price on Amazon.co.uk. Cheaper than all of those I saw on ebay.
    Thanks, Chrissy!
    Alas, that one is the Grey resin, not the Smoked Oak model.
    - Will