Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How not to sell a Montblanc on eBay

Thanks

Default Re: How not to sell a Montblanc on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by talkinghead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmahany View Post
    Here is my personal perspective on everything so far:
    mmahany,

Thanks for the detailed response! I do detect a slight air of defensiveness on your part though, in your response. It was certainly not my intent to threaten, disparage, or whatever, you or any other poster in anyway and make you feel defensive in anyway. For that I apologize.

My points for posting in this thread....

1) To bring to the forefront that box and papers may add value to certain pens but not to certain others , and that box and papers are not a 100% way to authenticate a pen..

2) I then saw an opportunity to hopefully guide a discussion into some pen history, minutia, nuance of pen collecting and using, and also to possible help people "eye" and carefully dissect an item on Ebay, that might just slip through the cracks, based on poor photographs or poor description. Hence my post then on my particular pen. I even explained a bit later that my purpose was to stir up discussion about the nuance of my pen. I have apparently failed in that regard, as I only got a couple of responses, (sloegin, and CS388). I even admit I got hari to respond to also help stir on the discussion of my particular pen.

These forums use to be a spot for thoughtful discussion on fountain pen use, history, collecting, repair, etc..... FPN's MB forum has deteriorated into a forum of threads, 90% of which have to do with if a pen is fake or not, and if its not a fake, did I get a good deal on it and/or what I can sell it for. You are new here in FP GEEKs, and fairly new (2011?) in FPN so you may not recall/remember/particpated in, but back in the day, we would discuss a pen's history, who has what pen and why you like it or use it, what one's collecting focus is and why, etc. There aren't that many threads like that anymore over there in FPN, so I was hoping to pump some life into this forum in that discussion direction. But apparently that will not be the case. Really, my point was NOT truly what the $$ value was on a particular pen, but to focus on a pen that LOOKED like the run of the mill #146, but in reality wasn't just run of the mill and had some history to it. However in the realm of pen value, mmahany, you seem to be very shrewd and smart and I applaud you for that. You go guy! Who of us isn't out there looking for a deal!?

Finally, just to complete my little "game" concerning my pen, for anyone who is interested. My pen appears to be a first year edition of the reissue of the #146 in MB's line up. The 146 was reintroduced in 1973/74, split ebonite feeds made their appearance around 1975. So a #146 with and 18c monotone gold nib, and SOLID ebonite feed was made in 1973/-1974 and was then only "made" for 1, or at the most 2 years, hence making them less less common, and dare I say rare. My point about asking people what "particular feed was on their #146" of this era was to point out to them was that they probably had a split ebonite feed, and make them think a little bit and say "hmmmm, never really see the solid ebonite feeds on these pens" ( that was the nuance I was hoping people would pick up on, and the one that you, mmahany, have even failed to recognize in your post above , as you keep pointing out simple ebonite feed, making no distinction between solid or split and their time relation in the history of the #146).

That is all, feel free to discuss....

Rick
    I did not take your post negatively in the least bit. Emotion translates poorly through text so I too apologize if I came off slightly abrasive. I have a very blunt and “to the point” personality and that can be misinterpreted over the internet at times.

1.) As far as the box/papers, I think I also mentioned that in an earlier post. I certainly agree with you. The more commonly replicated pens bring much more money when they are supplemented with a box/paperwork. The piston fillers, vintage, and less replicated pens don’t have much price variation between one with/without a box and documentation.

The only exception to that rule would be a new or near new pen. I sold a 161 bordeaux ballpoint for around 200% over normal used market value because it was in new condition, still had the factory sticker on the pen, and the case was unscathed. That’s a lot of extra money someone was willing to pay for a sticker (essentially). I will say that the pen was in good enough condition to give as a gift so that may have been worth it to the buyer.

2.) I agree that this forum lacks the traffic it deserves, and you are right, most of the threads are about authenticating a pen. Unfortunately, the pen world isn’t evolving at a steady rate so we’re forced to revisit old topics or continue the repetition of deciding if a pen is fake based upon grainy photobucket pictures.

Again, you will find that some of my posts come off less than pleasant. However, I never mean for my posts to come off mean or rude. Lack of emotion sometimes translates to negative emotion over the internet. I will say that I love a good discussion about pretty much anything. I think that’s one of the best ways to learn through the sharing information as well as knowing the information well enough to present it to someone else (if that makes sense?). I love to help people both by nature and through my profession and I always intend to post objectively rather than subjectively when having a discussion like this.

In addition, I do not want to insinuate that I’m a vintage Montblanc guru. The base of my knowledge stems from modern Montblanc pens. I am confident in saying that I know more than most about vintage pens, but even still there are several of you who have a wealth of knowledge far greater than mine.

And yes, I only started collecting in October of 2011. However, in that time I’ve owned close to 200 Montblanc pens, and I’d guess around 400 pens in total. When I get into a hobby, I tend to hit it at full stride which is evident with those numbers.

Senior Member Penne Stilografiche's Avatar
    Thanks

Another example of how not to sell a MB on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Writing-inst...item3cd4feb74b

Thanks

A single very blurry picture (of three items as here) is definitely not helpful. I also love those postings where they give many pics of the box or case and only one of the pen or nib (and blurry too).

Thanks

My thanks to all who have participated in this very interesting discussion. As a MB collector I have much to learn.

Thanks

Okay, please take a look at the auction below. Here is a 146 with an 18c nib. It is unclear from the photos whether or not it has a solid ebonite feed. My question: is it possible to have an 18c nib with a split ebonite feed on a 70's/80's 146?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STYLO-A-PLUM...item35ca430bf6

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by orfew View Post
    Okay, please take a look at the auction below. Here is a 146 with an 18c nib. It is unclear from the photos whether or not it has a solid ebonite feed. My question: is it possible to have an 18c nib with a split ebonite feed on a 70's/80's 146?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STYLO-A-PLUM...item35ca430bf6
    IIRC, yes.

Thanks

...snip... Here is a 146 with an 18c nib. It is unclear from the photos whether or not it has a solid ebonite feed. My question: is it possible to have an 18c nib with a split ebonite feed on a 70's/80's 146?
    Think so?
    Is that a specific combo you're looking for?
    If I remember Rick's post, the solid ebonite is the rare one?

Otherwise, I'd say that it's a nice 146. At the top of it's money, imho.
    Really don't care about the boxes. I'd rather pay less and just get the pen.
    They seem to be a luxury items outfit, so a question about feed specifics may fall on deaf ears?

In a connected vein:
    I've got a 1970s/1980s spilt-ebonite feed for a 146 - going free, if anybody needs it.
    Has damage to one of the fins, but otherwise perfect.
    Great feed. Used it for years, but had to swap it out, when a new sleeve was fitted.

Enjoy.

Thanks

I am actually looking for one with the 18C marking and a solid ebonite feed. I was just unsure form the pictures whether or not this pen has one. If it were the one piece with the 18C nib I just might be tempted.

Thanks

I am actually looking for one with the 18C marking and a solid ebonite feed. I was just unsure form the pictures whether or not this pen has one. If it were the one piece with the 18C nib I just might be tempted.
    the pen has the split ebonite feed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hari317 View Post
    the pen has the split ebonite feed.
    Thanks Hari

Thanks

21+ bids at $132+ with over 4 hours left for a Blanc Meisterstuck from a seller in Hong Kong w/ 0 feedback. How stupid can one get?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLANC-MEISTE...item4ac8f67c2b

Thanks

And that item says it's both a fountain pen with medium nib AND a rollerball. It's somehow BOTH? Sheesh.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tenney View Post
    And that item says it's both a fountain pen with medium nib AND a rollerball. It's somehow BOTH? Sheesh.
    In China, they can make anything! I cannot believe there are people biding on that pen. As they say, there's a sucker born every minute and two to take him...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tenney View Post
    Plus, the third picture is of a 144 or a 163 so there are at least three pens being described in that listing.

Thanks

This one's painful to look at, a probably fake Montblanc 163 rollerball from Hong Kong sold for $404.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Meisters...p2047675.l2557

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the last two bidders were shill bids. You can tell by the bidding patterns.

Thanks

Watch this

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Genuine-Vtg-M...03961435419732

not 146, not bordeaux. At least is a fountain pen.

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HermetiC View Post
    Watch this

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Genuine-Vtg-M...03961435419732

not 146, not bordeaux. At least is a fountain pen.
    that's a 144

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I like mango pudding View Post
    that's a 144
    That's right