Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Improving handwritting

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Default Re: Improving handwritting

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Good writing needs continuous writing and reviewing.
    when it become a religion it get into a good shape.
    True. All skills must be practiced, or they degrade.
    I agree. If you practice your handwriting every day and keep it flowing along at the same angle then it will start to become second nature. Keeping lines of letters at the same height and slant angle is the hardest part to master but you will eventually get used to doing it that way by practice. I find it slow at the start but then it can get a bit quicker. The letter "r" is always the hardest for me. I just can't make them all exactly the same especially when they are at the end of a word.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Robalone (December 24th, 2021)

Thanks

I am grateful for my years in Catholic school, where you got a good foundation in cursive, whether you wanted it or not, but it really is all about practice. I can remember the penmanship books and paper, and I look at old samples of my childhood handwriting...I always put my name in my books, and still have some of those books, so it’s interesting to see how I wrote over the years....but I learned over years, not in a few months.

Some tips I can give would be to look at handwriting samples online, Pinterest has many, and to use a pen that isn’t too heavy, with a nib that is on the wetter side. Paper made for kids learning penmanship is helpful, if not that, then graph paper. Start with single letters, move on to connecting letters. And most importantly, make it a pleasurable experience. Use good paper that you enjoy writing on, don’t save the good paper for when your writing is “better”....use a pen that and ink that you love. The better your supplies perform, the more inspired you will be to keep going.
    Last edited by Igraine; February 27th, 2021 at 10:55 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Igraine For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (March 22nd, 2021)

Thanks

I do this as a warmup exercise mostly with pencils and then with ink and pens.
    Writing skills is not something you should take as granted. It has more ability in improving ( CALLI GRAPHY= BEAUTIFUL WRITING ) when you look at is as a drawing skill.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    I do this as a warmup exercise mostly with pencils and then with ink and pens.
    Writing skills is not something you should take as granted. It has more ability in improving ( CALLI GRAPHY= BEAUTIFUL WRITING ) when you look at is as a drawing skill.
    Patience is a virtue, 'tis true, and has its rewards.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

Default Re: Improving handwriting

A habit with ballpoint or felt-tip pens that's hard to break is pushing the nib. When using a fountain pen, particularly a flex or italic nib, pushing the pen can give you catches and nasty blots. So when I felt like messing with pens but had nothing particular to write, I'd execute practice pages, such as this:

You not only learn to orient the nib correctly but to write even lines in parallel.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

INeedAFinancialAdvisor (July 4th, 2021)