Thread: Post-Omas assembled pens

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Question Post-Omas assembled pens

A classified listing for a modern Omas pen assures potential buyers that the pen offered "is an Original Omas, not made from parts after they closed." I no longer have my vintage and modern Omas pens, but this statement has caught my interest.

Has this become an issue in the Italian fountain pen marketplace? An Omas purist wants only pens assembled by the Omas company, but that aside, have there been quality deficiencies or other problems with post-Omas assembled pens entering the market?
    Last edited by FredRydr; October 28th, 2020 at 08:19 AM. Reason: added link

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Post-Omas assembled pens

Maybe they were referring to an ASC pen or one of the pens made out of Omas resin? Not sure, but I’ve seen Arco-like pens with the beautiful patterns by companies like Pineider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

I sent my post-closure assembled Omas in for service and they return shipped me a live raccoon.

It's ok though, we're starting a business together (folding fitted sheets for people who just can't do it.)

email me if you need help folding your fitted sheets.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    I sent my post-closure assembled Omas in for service and they return shipped me a live raccoon.

It's ok though, we're starting a business together (folding fitted sheets for people who just can't do it.)

email me if you need help folding your fitted sheets.
    I saw that sheet-folding video on the NYT website some time ago, but I cannot recall seeing a ringtail.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Radonactionservices View Post
    Maybe they were referring to an ASC pen or one of the pens made out of Omas resin? Not sure, but I’ve seen Arco-like pens with the beautiful patterns by companies like Pineider.
    You may be right. I thought the phrase meant pens assembled from loose parts acquired from the OOB Omas factory and represented as Omas pens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Radonactionservices View Post
    You may be right. I thought the phrase meant pens assembled from loose parts acquired from the OOB Omas factory and represented as Omas pens.
    You are correct. There was an extensive thread "elsewhere" about an Omas pen.... which Omas never made.....except as a very small limited edition for an Italian AD. As I recall, there was pretty much a consensus conclusion (including many of the most knowledgeable Omas experts in the world), that it was a pen made in the atelier of a well known German pen craftsman using parts he acquired from the Factory before the doors were shut. Technically all genuine Omas parts but a product not produced in the Omas Factory nor "officially" by the Company itself other than the bespoke few (~11...not positive about this number) pieces referenced above. The cap and barrel were evidently lathed by this private, non-Omas craftsman from a genuine Omas celluloid rod.

I'm sure others here saw that thread too and they may have some additional information.

I do not recall any posts which suggested that these small number of pens were anything but superb and the craftsman is still around to service them, if needed. I believe the confusion was created when the pens hit the secondary market and were advertised as Omas pens.