Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help on picking first gold nib Pelikan?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Re: Help on picking first gold nib Pelikan?

It's going great!

The pen wasn't NOS but it is in quite good shape. Someone took good care of it.

The nib had some issues with upstrokes (it was showing a user-unique wear pattern, I believe) but I have it writing really nicely now and it flows nicely with Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black which is such a well-behaved ink.

The pen is really enjoyable to write with and feels really satisfying to hold, though I've been trying to use up remaining ink in a couple other pens so I haven't been using it as much as I'd like. It is next in the rotation, however and I look forward to it.

The feedback is very unusual compared to many pens. I think someone here mentioned they feel like a thick pencil lead on paper. That's spot on. I really don't have any other pens I can think of with this sort of feedback. It is somehow smooth yet controlled.

Only downside is the cap top (finial? Tassie?) is cracked in a couple of spots. I have bent the clip out relieving pressure on it so it at least stays put. I may see about getting one in better shape. It would be nice to be able to clip this in a shirt pocket since it is such a perfect compact length.

Very happy I took the plunge. Thanks again everyone!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

amk (November 14th, 2020), carlos.q (November 14th, 2020), welch (February 7th, 2021), Yazeh (November 26th, 2020)

Thanks

Glad you like it. My first vintage Pelikan was a 140 as well. Fine nib. I purchased it from Rick Propas. Paid a bit more but over three years in now (he restores and includes a two year warranty) never needed any service. The 140 has had an almost exclusive diet of Pelikan 4001 Blue Black and is always inked.

The 400NN is an EF and a wonderful writer as well. Got it on Ebay from a European seller for less than $100. I have had it for about a year now. Currently inked with Pelikan Blue Black. But has seen more different inks than the 140.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Runnin_Ute For This Useful Post:

azkid (November 25th, 2020), welch (February 7th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    You can’t go wrong with a 50‘s Pelikan.
    Imho the 50‘s Pelikans (100, 140 and 400) are some of the best pens ever made.
    Donˋt expect flexible nibs, most of them are semi-flex (some only springy).
    The building quality is awesome, if you don’t have 2 left hands and have a bit experience, repairs should not be unsolvable.

Pelikan nib units are known, and awesome.
    If they have the transparent nib unit collar the collar might become brittle and has to be replaced (replacements are available).

Piston seals might also needs to be replaced (most have synthetic ones, early ones might still have cork seals) (replacements available)

Choose which size and design you like.

Also the modern pens are good.
    Personally I donˋt really like the M600 nails (own 2, writes good, no complains but they are hard nails).
    The M800 and M1000 are too big for my taste.

I agree 100% with this advice. One of my first Pels was a 1950s tortoise set that had a beautiful OM nib which I still love and reach for often, even YEARS after acquiring it on Pentrace. The old Pelikans just never get "old"!
    Last edited by Bisquitlips; November 26th, 2020 at 12:35 AM.

Thanks

For sure, I can see it never getting old for me too. I deeply appreciate the advice pointing me towards this phenomenal pen.

I've been using my 140 as my daily driver for the past couple weeks and though I should provide an update. Bottom line: Wow. What a wonderful writing experience.

I can't get over how different the nib feels from any of the dozens of vintage pens I have owned. Every time I use it I am forced to pause briefly with amazement, and then continue with great satisfaction. I know this sounds utterly ridiculous and corny. I certainly didn't expect such an intense reaction.

Oh, I was doing an ink journal entry for a new ink and looking back through my notes, I found out it was 1950s Pelikan with OM that I was originally wowed me at last year's Pelikan Hub. I'm 99% sure it was a 140 based on my visual recollection of the shape.

Anyway I will continue using this for my daily until it runs out. Then I will probably refill it and continue awhile longer.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

welch (February 7th, 2021), Yazeh (November 26th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    I can't get over how different the nib feels from any of the dozens of vintage pens I have owned. Every time I use it I am forced to pause briefly with amazement, and then continue with great satisfaction. I know this sounds utterly ridiculous and corny. I certainly didn't expect such an intense reaction.
    Yeah, the nibs are one of the reasons why I got hooked on vintage Pelikans and really haven't bought any other pens after that (unless they have been ridiculous bargains and otherwise to my liking like the Parker 51 Aerometrics).

Those nibs combined with everything else in that package... just wow. I mean, what is there not to like? <3

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

For sure, I can see it never getting old for me too. I deeply appreciate the advice pointing me towards this phenomenal pen.

I've been using my 140 as my daily driver for the past couple weeks and though I should provide an update. Bottom line: Wow. What a wonderful writing experience.

Oh, I was doing an ink journal entry for a new ink and looking back through my notes, I found out it was 1950s Pelikan with OM that I was originally wowed me at last year's Pelikan Hub. I'm 99% sure it was a 140 based on my visual recollection of the shape.

Anyway I will continue using this for my daily until it runs out. Then I will probably refill it and continue awhile longer.
    Congratulations!
    Over many years, I have found several pens that can elicit from me, the similar reaction as you described above, the "pause to admire".

That reaction is (to me) not ridiculous nor it is corny, it's just one of the things in this hobby that we get to enjoy.

And yes, one of those pens are the Pelikan 140.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Update: my Pelikan 140 finally ran out of ink yesterday.

I've been using it exclusively for work for over two months.

Ok, I haven't been writing all that much. But still. Aside: it survived weeks of disuse over the holidays without drying out and it started right up again on the first stroke. Nice.

As I predicted in Nov, I refilled it with more Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black and will keep using it. It's too nice to stop.

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (February 5th, 2021), AzJon (February 5th, 2021), carlos.q (February 4th, 2021), fountainpenkid (February 7th, 2021), KrazyIvan (February 5th, 2021), mana (February 5th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (May 14th, 2021), SlowMovingTarget (May 15th, 2021), welch (February 7th, 2021)

Thanks

The M800 Medium is a lovely smooth nib and a good all rounder

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks

I have an M200 fine nib, but am considering an M400 or M600, new. Can I expect the same line width with the gold as the steel? And which would you all recommend? Is there any major difference between the 400 and the 600, besides the size of the pen? I like the idea of the bigger nib.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,246 Posts

In honesty? I'm not a fan of the modern gold nibs. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if it has to be a modern pen, I prefer the steel nibs. If you can get an 'old style' (ie pre-97) M series, you'll get a decent nib. If you go for a vintage 10x/140/400x you're likely to get a fabulous nib. Anything post '97 will be a slightly overtipped, very pretty and very functional nib with no character at all. They're great as the basis for a special grind, mainly because there is so much tipping that there's plenty of material to work with, but other than that, I personally wouldn't bother, unless it was a real bargain. Even then, I'd probably be looking to swap out the nib with something more interesting.

Thanks

…See, I like my M205 except it is a bit persnickety about ink and the nib behaves kind of oddly. I go back and forth on how I feel about it…
    Just curious, what ink made the 205 misbehave?

Thanks

I generally agree with mizgeorge. Vintage Pelikans (anything up to 1965) will likely write with more character than a modern Pelikan (post 1965). Mind you, a vintage DEF will write like the rigid extra fine it’s supposed to be. The most noticeable difference is between vintage and modern obliques.

I’ve had a few of the early modern Pelikan nibs. They didn’t do much for me with the exception of one that got a Spencerian mod from John Mottishaw.

Thanks

I like the steel nib on the M200. I just want a nib that will write smoothly and give me even lines. A nib with character....I think that is something that would be different to everyone and I’m not sure what my preference would be. Of course I’d like to find a nice vintage version, but online buying is risky. I don’t want to spend a ton of money only to find out when I get it that I don’t like the way it writes. Finding a vintage pen that pleases me would probably be best done at a pen show, where there would be a lot of options and a chance to sample the pens first.

Thanks

50’s 400 ++. There is an excellent seller on FPN who has 400s and 400nnson a regular basis.
    Last edited by bhbarto; May 14th, 2021 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks

Unfortunately most gold nibs are not as wonderful as '50-70 era German ones.

I have 35 semi-flex and 15 maxi-semi-flex all from that era....Pelikan, Geha, MB, Osmia, and and many no names or lesser names. Not all are gold, in there were some great steel nibs from Osmia....as good as their great gold nibs, in both semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex.

Geha is a slight tad more springy than Pelikan. Geha's nibs are made by Degussa; who took Osmia's nib factory in 1932 for debt. They continued making Osmia's and nibs for others, including Geha. And Soennecken when it started dying in the '50's.
    Geha's steel nib is as good as it's gold. I swapped my steel semi-flex Geha nib to a friend in England in I had no pen that I could put it on.

Two posters whom I respect both stated the Geha nibs...are a bit better than Pelikan. I tested my 5 or so Geha's vs the same number of '50-65 Pelikans I have; and found it true.

But either nib is wonderful. 790 is cheaper than Pelikans.

But stay away from Geha cartridge pens, in you can not get a cartridge that works. They had their own being first in Germany to make a cartridge pen, that fitted Pelikan on the other side. And they '70's Geha school pens are not semi-flex either.
    Last edited by BoBo Olson; September 30th, 2021 at 12:22 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BoBo Olson For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (September 30th, 2021)