Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Received empty package from zona900 Italy

Thanks

Default Received empty package from zona900 Italy

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this. I bought a fountain pen for approx $250 from Zona900.com and they had shipped the pen (lovely vintage green and gold celluloid pen) from Italy here to USA. I received the package but there was no pen in it. It had just like a cardboard box which would've protected the pen but there was no pen. There was a slit to the one of the sides of the package, so perhaps someone stole it? I don't know but i was very disappointed that i received an empty package.

I did contact Zona900 and they said if pen was stolen in Italy then they can do refund but if stolen in USA then no refund. Is this a fair policy? I do think that it is a shame if i have to cover the cost of a pen that i never recieved. Payment was made by paypal.

I was just wondering what you guys would recommend in this circumstance or if you experienced something similar?

Heres a picture of the pen: https://imgur.com/a/HsUMW4d

Thank you for your help
    Asif

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Received empty package from zona900 Italy

How was the pen shipped? Did you take a picture of the damage before opening the package? Have you contacted the carrier? Was the shipment insured?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (December 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

It was delivered by USPS so i assume he just shipped it with normal italian postal services. The package did not look damaged and so i assumed that pen was inside the package and didn't take pictures. i did take pictures after and sent it to zona900. He said he will get in touch with post office but have not heard back from him since for a couple days now.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

It was stolen in Italy.

Thanks

Also if you used PayPal goods & services then file a claim with PayPal. Be sure to include all pictures and copies of all correspondence.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Also if you used PayPal goods & services then file a claim with PayPal. Be sure to include all pictures and copies of all correspondence.
    This is what you should do.^^^
    At the end of the day it's up to the seller to get the item to you. If you don't receive it then you can file a claim with PayPal.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Thank you all, will go ahead file a claim with paypal.

Thanks

FYI:
    Zona900 has posted a reply over on the other pen forum. Since I see nothing from him here, my guess is that he does not visit FPG.

It seems the OP was not fully disclosing of all the pertinent information in his original post on this thread above.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

silverlifter (November 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

Ah, now I know who it is. I've had satisfactory transactions with him. There was the time in 2011 he had his penmeister repair my vintage Xemax. He informed me that he returned it by registered mail. You may not believe it, but I had forgotten about that pen and it wasn't until 11 months later I realized I didn't have my Zemax. I asked him for a copy of the paperwork/receipt from the Italian post office, but he said due to the passage of time, he no longer had it. Without the registered mail receipt and number, I was unable to track the parcel through the postal registrations en route. The pen never did turn up, and under the circumstances, I cannot eliminate the possibility that my parcel was stolen after the seller delivered it to the local post office and before it left Italy, notwithstanding registered mail. I knew at the time that Italian post is notorious for pilferage, and in light of my other pleasant transactions with him and his good reputation, I cannot blame him.

I read the FPN thread just now, and I believe you are in the same situation. He is entitled to the benefit of the doubt without more evidence.

IMHO, registered insured mail is the only way to go for parcels from Italy. Just don't ignore it for months like I did.
    Last edited by FredRydr; November 2nd, 2020 at 01:41 PM. Reason: clarification

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (December 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Ah, now I know who it is. I've had satisfactory transactions with him. There was the time in 2011 he had his penmeister repair my vintage Xemax. He informed me that he returned it by registered mail. You may not believe it, but I had forgotten about that pen and it wasn't until 11 months later I realized I didn't have my Zemax. I asked him for a copy of the paperwork/receipt from the Italian post office, but he said due to the passage of time, he no longer had it. The pen never did turn up. I knew at the time that Italian post is notorious for pilferage, and in light of my other pleasant transactions with him and his good reputation, I cannot blame him.

I read the FPN thread just now, and I believe you are in the same situation. He is entitled to the benefit of the doubt without more evidence.

IMHO, registered insured mail is the only way to go for parcels from Italy. Just don't ignore it for months like I did.
    To have sent one pen that went missing in the mail is unlucky, but to have a second one go missing, albeit from out of a packet, seems like carelessness. He should not be sending them using unregistered or uninsured mail.
    If I was the buyer who was missing a pen and $250 I would be making a claim for my money back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Ah, now I know who it is. I've had satisfactory transactions with him. There was the time in 2011 he had his penmeister repair my vintage Xemax. He informed me that he returned it by registered mail. You may not believe it, but I had forgotten about that pen and it wasn't until 11 months later I realized I didn't have my Zemax. I asked him for a copy of the paperwork/receipt from the Italian post office, but he said due to the passage of time, he no longer had it. The pen never did turn up. I knew at the time that Italian post is notorious for pilferage, and in light of my other pleasant transactions with him and his good reputation, I cannot blame him.

To have sent one pen that went missing in the mail is unlucky, but to have a second one go missing, albeit from out of a packet, seems like carelessness. He should not be sending them using unregistered or uninsured mail.
    If I was the buyer who was missing a pen and $250 I would be making a claim for my money back.
    With all due respect to one of this Forum's most highly respected members, Chrissy, FredRydr's loss was in 2011. The OP's claim of a loss was in 2020. zona900 sells / ships hundreds of pens per year. How can this be characterized as carelessness?

Chrissy, I suggest you go over to FPN and take a look at the thread there which includes zona900's response. You will see there is a very important fact of the case which the OP chose to omit when he posted "his side" of the story above. See what you think about that......... Was his omission "carelessness?" I don't think so.

Thanks

Claim was made. PayPal determined the seller did nothing wrong and fulfilled all reasonable obligations.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (November 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post

With all due respect to one of this Forum's most highly respected members, Chrissy, FredRydr's loss was in 2011. The OP's claim of a loss was in 2020. zona900 sells / ships hundreds of pens per year. How can this be characterized as carelessness?

Chrissy, I suggest you go over to FPN and take a look at the thread there which includes zona900's response. You will see there is a very important fact of the case which the OP chose to omit when he posted "his side" of the story above. See what you think about that......... Was his omission "carelessness?" I don't think so.
    I merely intended to suggest he was was careless if he chose to send more than one pen unregistered and uninsured. One loss would have been enough to make me change over to registered mail.
    I never read anything on FPN so I can only see one side of the story.
    Fred is correct. Italian mail is not known as being the most reliable.
    Last edited by Chrissy; November 2nd, 2020 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks

Claim was made. PayPal determined the seller did nothing wrong and fulfilled all reasonable obligations.
    That sounds conclusive. I can only assume he did send it registered this time.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,698 Posts

FPN has been down more than up the past couple days.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

That sounds conclusive. I can only assume he did send it registered this time.

He sends it registered mail all the time unless a buyer wants to go another route.

Fred
    who has not had any such issues with the seller and if he did {me} I would not go public.....
    I would just work it out................Veracity................Op sells lots o stuff and should know what to do
    without going public 'cause it serves no purpose....

The seller has a sterling reputation....

Adios..........................

Thanks

I’ve had a couple of registered packages from a friend in Italy go missing. I purchase from him frequently and from different countries. The only time packages have gone missing is when shipped from Italy. He now ships to me from other countries as the Italian post cannot be trusted. As my Italian friend says, Italy is a 3rd world county masquerading as a 1st world country.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Baisao For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

The only time i’ve had things disappear, it was right here in New York City. Both were incoming registered mail, one from France one from England. One went off the radar coming out of customs and the other disappeared somewhere between the neighborhood post office and my mailbox. I understand why registered mail makes sense, but a) carriers often just deliver anyway and b) it may make a parcel a bit of a target.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Seems like Baltimore has eaten three packages I had incoming.
    One from the UK, another from Rhode Island, and the third from Turkey.
    All three stopped in Baltimore with no further progress.

What is the method for requesting more advanced mail delivery than the "USPS" when buying off of amazon or ebay?
    I'm about finished with the constant ineptitude and worthlessness of the US Postal System.
    There HAS to be a better option.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

I suspect your issue is with US Customs, not the USPS. When you write "advanced," do you mean faster or more reliable? They don't necessarily go hand-in-hand.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post: