Thread: Mythic Pens - The Prime

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Mythic Pens - The Prime

A short while ago I was very fortunate to acquire a pen made by Brad at Mythic Pens in a material by Jonathon Brooks of Carolina Pens. This pen was made as a special model for the 3rd anniversary of Truphae Pens.

It goes without saying that a shoutout is in order here for @mystoryfornow, the seller of the pen.

Mythic Pens is a relatively recent custom pen maker on the scene. The Prime is one of the standard models available. As I am terrible at the custom pen game, getting a regular model was probably the smartest thing for me to do.

The Prime is a straight cylindrical pen with a cap that is slightly wider than the body. The step this forms has no sharpness to it due to the care taken in rounding the cap lip, and the whole pen is finished to a very high standard of polish and exact fitting. On removing the cap there is revealed a step down from the barrel to the section threads, and thence a straight section to the nib. The step down is not huge and, as with the cap lip, is subtly beveled to remove sharp edges. It certainly does not feel uncomfortable if held that high up. The threads are robust, smooth operating and not at all unpleasant under fingertip. The cap unscrews in just under two revolutions.

The pen is around 142mm when capped, and approximately 113mm uncapped from tail to end of section. This uncapped length is my sweet spot for using a pen un-posted. The barrel seems to be about 15mm diameter, and the 23mm long section is around 11mm diameter. Balance seems quite neutral, and the cap will not post. Currently the pen is fitted with a #6 Jowo fine nib, but will soon be replaced by something custom-ground. This a cartridge/converter pen, but could no doubt be used as an eye-dropper.

A word about the material. As mentioned elsewhere, Jonathon Brooks has created this special resin mix for Truphae Pens and it is called Purple Arctic Blast. While Jonathon's rods are not directly available to me, they can be obtained via other pen makers or in secondary sales. This is a lucky break as I believe he is probably one of the best resin pourers out there. Personally I would love to be able to source a couple of pens in Arctic Koi and Primary Manipulation, but suspect I will be in for a very long wait!

Edited to add an apology for the poor photography. It is getting better... just very slowly!
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; October 28th, 2020 at 08:41 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

amk (October 29th, 2020), bugsydog55 (November 13th, 2020), CoffeeForTheAdmiral (November 29th, 2021), digitalsedition (October 29th, 2020), Lady Onogaro (October 29th, 2020), mystoryfornow (October 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Mythic Pens - The Prime

Thanks for the shout out!! Glad you enjoyed this pen. One of the harder ones to let go. I love this material from Jonathan and have several, now down to just one. My poor attempt at trying to curb my collection. 😅

I also have many pens by Brad at Mythic and I can assure everyone his pens are quite fabulous. He is one of my favorite pen makers and one of the first ones I go to when I see a blank I covet.

By the way, love the pictures. You did great!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mystoryfornow For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (November 13th, 2020), Empty_of_Clouds (October 28th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

David. I don't know if you do Instagram but there are some makers who have been selling pens made with Brooks materials there. River City Pens does, I think, as does Bonecrusher Studios. They usually go fast, but James at Bonecrusher might have some available now. River City has a Web site; I don't think James has one yet.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (October 29th, 2020)

Thanks

Very nice photography, e_o_c. I recently picked up a (slightly) used Mythic Pen Co. *Aristophanes* from user DomainOfDolin (Henry), and I'm enjoying it very much. It's a small pen - capped length is only 4 1/4", but one can screw the cap onto the barrel, which increases length to a bit over 6". I use the pen as an eye dropper and really like the very smooth, wet #6 Jowo 1.1 mm stub nib.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (October 29th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    David. I don't know if you do Instagram but there are some makers who have been selling pens made with Brooks materials there. River City Pens does, I think, as does Bonecrusher Studios. They usually go fast, but James at Bonecrusher might have some available now. River City has a Web site; I don't think James has one yet.
    Hah! It turns out I do have an Instagram account, though it seems I am a consumer rather than a creator. Don't recall signing up to it, but there you go. Had a look at the two people mentioned, some great ideas! A nice cigar in Primary Manipulation 1 or 3 would be very nice. Not sure if Jonathon is back pouring resins yet as his website says everything is sold out.