Thread: Pelikan Souveran Inner Barrel Sleeve?

Thanks

Default Pelikan Souveran Inner Barrel Sleeve?

I've read a comment somewhere that claimed that Pelikan Souveran series pens have barrels made of cellulose acetate with a nonreactive inner sleeve to protect the barrel from the harshness of inks.

Can anyone confirm if they have a non-reactive inner sleeve?

Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: Pelikan Souveran Inner Barrel Sleeve?

Quote Originally Posted by Baisao View Post
    I've read a comment somewhere that claimed that Pelikan Souveran series pens have barrels made of cellulose acetate with a nonreactive inner sleeve to protect the barrel from the harshness of inks.

Can anyone confirm if they have a non-reactive inner sleeve?

Thank you!
    The Pelikan's Perch quotes 2019 Pelikan company M800 literature that, "The barrel with brown and black stripes is crafted out of is crafted out of high grade cellulose acetate which is then turned into a sleeve."
    Last edited by FredRydr; November 4th, 2020 at 04:21 PM. Reason: expanded Pelikan company quote with link to the page regarding barrels being made of cellulose acetate

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 396 Posts

This is a Pelikan 800 barrel minus the striped binde, a full exploded view below that. All of the Sovereign pens are made with the same basic pattern, i.e inner barrel of a transparent material, with a nose piece that the section is glued onto. Only the 800 and 1000 pens have the brass thread bushing. The lower pens have plastic threaded, or snap fit bushings. Rollerball pens start with the same inner barrel, section and binde. They have a cone that screws into the section, a brass sleeve in the barrel, and a different arrangement on the grip knob which eliminates the piston mechanism which is replaced with a spring loaded plug.

I assumed that the material was acrylic because of the way it responds to the same solvents, but it could be cellulose acetate. I haven't tried using the celluloid solvents on the material so can't confirm. It is not completely immune to the effects of weird ink. Speculation on the part of Pelikan service is that some of the dye saturated inks are the reason why the plastic weakens and the nose piece snaps. I would agree that the binde is cellulose acetate. This is a relatively thin sheet fit, rolled into a tube that is then fit on the barrel and secured with an adhesive. While not common, we do see cases where the binde spilts, in extreme cases the full length of the barrel, or where it has come off of the pen.

Last edited by Ron Z; October 30th, 2020 at 08:08 AM.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

amk (November 2nd, 2020), Baisao (October 30th, 2020), Barry B. Gabay (November 2nd, 2020), Chrissy (October 30th, 2020), dbrfreak (January 25th, 2021), fountainpenkid (November 1st, 2020), guyy (October 11th, 2021), Pterodactylus (October 30th, 2020), Robert (October 30th, 2020)

Thanks

Thank you, Ron. This was just the confirmation I was looking for.

Being that it may be cellulose acetate, would it be wise to stay away from alkaline inks?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

I'm quite sure the inner sleeves are--and have always been--acrylic. I believe this even goes for the 1950s models, which explains why they so rarely have the level of ambering seen with their contemporaries.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

Baisao (November 1st, 2020), guyy (October 11th, 2021)

Thanks

I read somewhere years ago, when the M300 came out that the M300 had the brass part in the piston mechanism. Is that true?

Thanks

IDK if it is in the first gen M300 but it is supposed to only be in the M800 and M1000.

Thanks

I don't know that I've ever seen a brass bushing in anything below an 800, vintage or modern.

Correction - the old style (pre 1997) 600 had a brass thread bushing. I've only handled a couple over the years.
    Last edited by Ron Z; October 11th, 2021 at 07:03 AM.

Visit Main Street Pens

Thanks

What could be important...though from reading of problems it seemed to be an 800's problem...but Ron's observation.
    """"Speculation on the part of Pelikan service is that some of the dye saturated inks are the reason why the plastic weakens and the nose piece snaps."""

I just don't know or remember nose piece snaps on 200/400/600 and never paid any attention to 1000's problems......only had mine a couple of years. It was the 800 that appeared to have a number of nose snaps.
    So I'm wondering about the saturated ink problemss.

I only have a couple supersaturated inks and a hand full of saturated inks; in I chase shading inks; which are not saturated or they'd not shade. (I think...Noodler's Apache Sunset and Golden Brown have two tones.....and could be at least saturated. I know too little about inks. But stay with old time Euro brands.)
    Last edited by BoBo Olson; October 11th, 2021 at 05:42 AM.

Thanks

The comment came from our contact at Chartpak who handled Pelikan repairs. I've repaired snapped off sections on all levels of pens - even the smallest, though the 800 series pens are the most common.

Visit Main Street Pens

Thanks

Good to know Ron....about it being a design failure.

I've been very lucky it appears...or is it the ink...if so been lucky I don't chase saturated or supersaturated inks......IF that was the problem.

I chase low saturated....two toned shading inks.