Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: Essri vs Salix......

  1. #1
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    590
    Thanked 255 Times in 151 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Essri vs Salix......

    I tried a sample of Salix.....My second Iron gall.... Jens and Silverlifter's side effects
    I really loved it in a wide fude nib, elegant , beautiful shading... well behaved.

    However, I disliked it as much with a medium nib...
    I was tempted to buy a bottle of Essri, as Salix would cost me the same should I buy a bottle.

    I was wondering if anyone has experience with both....and can share them with me....

    I tend to marry off my pens with specific inks......to avoid having an excessive pen hygiene.. I have enough of with COVID...

  2. #2
    Senior Member silverlifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    399
    Thanks
    231
    Thanked 431 Times in 203 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Essri vs Salix......

    What was it that you disliked about it in the medium nib?
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

    Yazeh (October 31st, 2020)

  4. #3
    Senior Member Pterodactylus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2,756
    Thanks
    1,390
    Thanked 2,762 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Essri vs Salix......

    Hmmm a would also like to know what you did not liked.

    At least for me there is nothing I dislike on Salix.
    Its a bit pale and compared to the ESS ink a less intensive color..... but ok they are different.


    Quote Benjamin Franklin by Ptero Pterodactylus on DeviantArt

    (Serwex MB flex EMF ..... Rohrer & Klingner Salix)



    Clever and Smart - Fred Clever by Ptero Pterodactylus on DeviantArt

    (Serwex MB flex EMF ..... ESS Registrars Blue/Black, Diamine Calligraphy Passion)


    Imho none of these need special pen hygiene or excessive cleaning / maintenance.
    I use both since years and had for example ESSRI for years permanently inked up in that Serwex (also with a couple of times dried out, just refilled it again and again and again and again.....) without any special treatment and without any troubles.
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; October 31st, 2020 at 03:20 PM.

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

    azkid (November 1st, 2020), silverlifter (October 31st, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (November 2nd, 2020), Yazeh (October 31st, 2020)

  6. #4
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    590
    Thanked 255 Times in 151 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Essri vs Salix......

    Thanks for letting me know. I found Salix flat with a medium nib. No shading. So I had to use a wide nib to have the elegant shading....

  7. #5
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    590
    Thanked 255 Times in 151 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Essri vs Salix......

    Ptero I love your drawing, especially that colour.....
    And I have inked 2 pens with Scabiosa.... I don't bother to clean....
    The pen hygiene was more with my bulletproof inks.....especially Kung Te Cheng
    Last edited by Yazeh; October 31st, 2020 at 04:17 PM.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

    Pterodactylus (October 31st, 2020)

  9. #6
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    590
    Thanked 255 Times in 151 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Essri vs Salix......

    Does Essri shade at all... or does it shade with a medium nib?

    I really like Salix's shading with a fude nib..
    While it looks nice in the scan with a medium nib.... to the naked eye it looks slightly flat....
    Or maybe I'm just nitpicking....

    Window - 1.jpeg
    Last edited by Yazeh; October 31st, 2020 at 04:27 PM.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

    Detman101 (October 31st, 2020), Pterodactylus (October 31st, 2020)

  11. #7
    Senior Member Pterodactylus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2,756
    Thanks
    1,390
    Thanked 2,762 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Essri vs Salix......

    ESSRI is definitely darker and stronger in tone.
    So I guess you might like ESRI more.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

    Yazeh (October 31st, 2020)

  13. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Coalmont, BC, Canada
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    287
    Thanked 217 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Essri vs Salix......

    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    I tend to marry off my pens with specific inks......to avoid having an excessive pen hygiene..
    I take it you mean the pen hygiene needed when changing inks. I do the same. But I think others misunderstood you.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

    Yazeh (October 31st, 2020)

  15. #9
    Senior Member SchaumburgSwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Schaumburg, Northern Germany
    Posts
    394
    Thanks
    266
    Thanked 154 Times in 85 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Essri vs Salix......

    Hi,

    also keep in mind that ESSRI is designed to loose most of it's blue when aging (I mean over months not days).
    Same for Diamine Registrar's / Akkerman #10.
    If it shades? Potentially yes, if the pen is not too wet.
    Btw. ironically I had the nicest shading with nearly rotten DRI... :-)
    Salix stays at a dark blue color, Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black is less saturated, but remains a nice blue-black.

    Best wishes
    Jens
    .................................................. .................................................. .

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to SchaumburgSwan For This Useful Post:

    Yazeh (November 1st, 2020)

  17. #10
    Senior Member Pterodactylus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2,756
    Thanks
    1,390
    Thanked 2,762 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Essri vs Salix......

    Quote Originally Posted by SchaumburgSwan View Post
    Hi,

    also keep in mind that ESSRI is designed to loose most of it's blue when aging (I mean over months not days).
    Same for Diamine Registrar's / Akkerman #10.
    If it shades? Potentially yes, if the pen is not too wet.
    Btw. ironically I had the nicest shading with nearly rotten DRI... :-)
    Salix stays at a dark blue color, Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black is less saturated, but remains a nice blue-black.

    Best wishes
    Jens
    I donˋt think that any ink is designed to loose itˋs color, when it happens it happens because of light exposure (most of the time) or when the dye or pigment isnˋt long time stable (less likely, and indicates low quality product).
    It could also be related to chemical reactions of (poor quality) paper.

    My oldest ESSRI writing is now about 8-9 years old and did not changed at all (I would not expect this from any ink, otherwise it is a design flaw like with Parker blue-black).

    When you expose inks to direct sun light this is a different story, then most inks will fade, some even kind of disappear.
    But the IG part of IG inks will also remain as grayish color and remain legible.

    I agree with you that such things can happen, but for me this is not matter of months, for me itˋs a matter of many decades or even centuries.
    You can see such effects in centuries old manuscripts where colors might degenerated but the iron gall is still (grayish - black) there.

    What also could have happened with such old manuscripts is Iron-Gall pitting corrosion of the paper where way too strong iron gall inks (they were brewed quite inconsistent and with many recipes) eaten up the paper over centuries.
    But with our modern low concentration (consistent) IG inks this is more than unlikely.

    My oldest personal writing which I still have (from school) is now about 40 years old and the colors (several Pelikan 4001) are still in perfect condition (no sun exposure).

    I also inherited a handwritten recipe book (about 75-80 years old) from my grandmother last year which contains ink writing in blue, black and green (along with pencil entries) where the colors are also still perfectly fine, only the paper has suffered (poor war time quality).
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; November 1st, 2020 at 02:05 AM.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

    SlowMovingTarget (November 2nd, 2020), Yazeh (November 1st, 2020)

  19. #11
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    590
    Thanked 255 Times in 151 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Essri vs Salix......

    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    I tend to marry off my pens with specific inks......to avoid having an excessive pen hygiene..
    I take it you mean the pen hygiene needed when changing inks. I do the same. But I think others misunderstood you.
    Yes indeed. I feel like a matchmaker for my pens and inks

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

    Ole Juul (November 1st, 2020)

  21. #12
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    590
    Thanked 255 Times in 151 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Essri vs Salix......

    Quote Originally Posted by SchaumburgSwan View Post
    Hi,

    also keep in mind that ESSRI is designed to loose most of it's blue when aging (I mean over months not days).
    Same for Diamine Registrar's / Akkerman #10.
    If it shades? Potentially yes, if the pen is not too wet.
    Btw. ironically I had the nicest shading with nearly rotten DRI... :-)
    Salix stays at a dark blue color, Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black is less saturated, but remains a nice blue-black.

    Best wishes
    Jens
    That reminds me of the Bible Ink
    when it went from purple to black. Though I had understood that Essri would copy/scan as a different colour than black for barristers/lawyers in the UK....
    I guess I have to get one and see

  22. #13
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    590
    Thanked 255 Times in 151 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Essri vs Salix......

    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post

    I donˋt think that any ink is designed to loose itˋs color, when it happens it happens because of light exposure (most of the time) or when the dye or pigment isnˋt long time stable (less likely, and indicates low quality product).
    It could also be related to chemical reactions of (poor quality) paper.

    My oldest ESSRI writing is now about 8-9 years old and did not changed at all (I would not expect this from any ink, otherwise it is a design flaw like with Parker blue-black).

    When you expose inks to direct sun light this is a different story, then most inks will fade, some even kind of disappear.
    But the IG part of IG inks will also remain as grayish color and remain legible.

    I agree with you that such things can happen, but for me this is not matter of months, for me itˋs a matter of many decades or even centuries.
    You can see such effects in centuries old manuscripts where colors might degenerated but the iron gall is still (grayish - black) there.

    What also could have happened with such old manuscripts is Iron-Gall pitting corrosion of the paper where way too strong iron gall inks (they were brewed quite inconsistent and with many recipes) eaten up the paper over centuries.
    But with our modern low concentration (consistent) IG inks this is more than unlikely.

    My oldest personal writing which I still have (from school) is now about 40 years old and the colors (several Pelikan 4001) are still in perfect condition (no sun exposure).

    I also inherited a handwritten recipe book (about 75-80 years old) from my grandmother last year which contains ink writing in blue, black and green (along with pencil entries) where the colors are also still perfectly fine, only the paper has suffered (poor war time quality).
    Thanks for sharing this info. I'd read that people like this ink because it's even more unpredictable (than other inks) depending pen/ paper combo...hence my curiosity...

  23. #14
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 69 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Essri vs Salix......

    Be aware that Scabiosa is very prone to fading.
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

  24. #15
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    590
    Thanked 255 Times in 151 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Essri vs Salix......

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Be aware that Scabiosa is very prone to fading.
    Thanks, Like Ptero I keep my notebooks closed

  25. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Coalmont, BC, Canada
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    287
    Thanked 217 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Essri vs Salix......

    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    That reminds me of the Bible Ink
    when it went from purple to black. Though I had understood that Essri would copy/scan as a different colour than black for barristers/lawyers in the UK....
    I guess I have to get one and see
    I just took a look at that Bible Ink and decided I needed to buy it. It's only 5.80 so I thought I'd get a couple of bottles. They take Paypal and credit cards so no problem paying. I found one small problem with buying from them however. They have a flat fee of 100.00 for international shipping! Subsequently I am reconsidering my purchase.

  26. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Coalmont, BC, Canada
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    287
    Thanked 217 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Essri vs Salix......

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Be aware that Scabiosa is very prone to fading.
    I can believe it. However, I've read dozens of Scabiosa reviews, and I don't think fading was mentioned. Does it not darken enough over the next couple of years to make up for it?

    I've got a bottle of Scabiosa and I like it, but I haven't had it long enough to really know it. I was considering a bottle of Salix as well, but because it looks very pale in the reviews I've seen, I'm holding off.

  27. #18
    Senior Member Pterodactylus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2,756
    Thanks
    1,390
    Thanked 2,762 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Essri vs Salix......

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Be aware that Scabiosa is very prone to fading.
    I can not confirm this, I just took a look at my ink journal (I keep entries of all my inks in there including writing samples, Clairefontaine paper) and my pen journal (where I make entries of all my pens, and try to note down the inks I inked up with them, normal school exercise books) and none of the entries with Scabiosa are faded.
    The earliest ones are 2 entries in my pen journal from 2013, and of course 1 entry beginning in 2013 in my ink journal.

    Could it be that you reference the hardcore UV testing from one of the megalomaniac FPN mods?
    You know from whom Im talking, the wife which try to life her omnipotence fantasies on FPN.

    If yes, then this is imho no valid test putting the inks for months under the desert sun.
    It just proofs that intensive radiation exposure for a long time will destroy almost everything.

  28. #19
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    590
    Thanked 255 Times in 151 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Essri vs Salix......

    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    That reminds me of the Bible Ink
    when it went from purple to black. Though I had understood that Essri would copy/scan as a different colour than black for barristers/lawyers in the UK....
    I guess I have to get one and see
    I just took a look at that Bible Ink and decided I needed to buy it. It's only 5.80 so I thought I'd get a couple of bottles. They take Paypal and credit cards so no problem paying. I found one small problem with buying from them however. They have a flat fee of 100.00 for international shipping! Subsequently I am reconsidering my purchase.
    Yes I had the same shock.....My sole consolation is that Jens said it's very dry and it turns black....
    They have also some very nice dip pen inks, one of which is iron gall. I'm sure Jens has a bottle of that too

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

    Ole Juul (November 1st, 2020)

  30. #20
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    590
    Thanked 255 Times in 151 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Essri vs Salix......

    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Be aware that Scabiosa is very prone to fading.
    I can not confirm this, I just took a look at my ink journal (I keep entries of all my inks in there including writing samples, Clairefontaine paper) and my pen journal (where I make entries of all my pens, and try to note down the inks I inked up with them, normal school exercise books) and none of the entries with Scabiosa are faded.
    The earliest ones are 2 entries in my pen journal from 2013, and of course 1 entry beginning in 2013 in my ink journal.

    Could it be that you reference the hardcore UV testing from one of the megalomaniac FPN mods?
    You know from whom Im talking, the wife which try to life her omnipotence fantasies on FPN.

    If yes, then this is imho no valid test putting the inks for months under the desert sun.
    It just proofs that intensive radiation exposure for a long time will destroy almost everything.
    I didn't have the patience to find that thread. But I believe Kung Te-Cheng was not at all affected.... I saw a similar thread, Scabiosa over 6 months... It loses its colour, but it's legible....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •