Thread: Soennecken 506

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default Soennecken 506

** This is a review that is going to be written in multiple parts.

Part 1

I just got the pen today, after waiting for weeks, this being an international shipment to me.

Soennecken is probably a brand that surprised me the most. For the level of quality that it has both in design and construction, it seems like only small percentage of pen collectors like to talk about it, an outside of them, most pen people never even heard of it.

I got my first one about two years ago, and my first impression was that it's a bland and unremarkable pen. But my hand is immediately attached to it, and won't let go. Later on this particular piston filler model with flat top became one of my favorites.

And today, after hunting and waiting for a long time, I finally got another one, this time in a cooler material, a very, very handsome light gray celluloid with hatch patterns. The clip is not a Soennecken, which bothers me none. When it comes to finding parts, I'm patient, sooner or later I'll get the right one put on it.

The real star is the condition of the cap/barrel/section and the piston assembly. I probably have to replace the cork inside, but I'm almost eager to do it just to see again the super simple but elegant piston mechanism.

Part 2

Now that I had more time to examine the pen, let's uncap it.

Apart from the clip not being the original, the nib also is a replacement. These may sound like a major defect, but I paid nowhere near what a complete sample of this pen, in this condition, would cost me. Moreover, just like the clip, I will find the right nib eventually, or at least I'll upgrade it with a nice 14K gold one. So I am still a happy camper.

The nib is engraved with "Edelstahl Spezial Spitze", obviously a steel nib, but being a vintage steel nib from Europe (or Japan), it has a good chance to be flexible. And it is.

So here we have a dipped writing sample after I cleaned the nib. I was looking for a grey ink, but after I finished my sample of Omas Grey, I only have one other ink with at least Grey in the name: deAtramentis Sahara Grey, which, is more like khaki-olive-green ... really.

One note, this pen is quite comfortable when posted. I don't usually post my pens when writing, and I didn't have to for this pen, but I just want to include this fact which may be useful to some.

In the next part, we'll take a closer look at the piston filler, and possibly putting a new seal.

PART 3

Aaand ... just as I expected. The piston cork is no longer drawing water, so we are going to dive in, folks.

Consulting my repair notes, I learned from the previous restoration that it is not necessary to disassemble the piston knob to replace the cork, so I saved myself a risky step.

When I examined the hard-rubber rim at the back of the pen before opening it, just below the piston knob, I noticed a few gashes from unsuccessful attempt(s) to open it.

Why can't people be more patient when trying to disassemble vintage pens? All it takes is just time and gentle heat (sigh!).

So after a few minutes of heating and twisting using a homemade rubber grip, I heard the familiar creak from ebonite starting to let go of their grasp. After the rim cleared the celluloid barrel end, the metal screw started to unscrew. I continued to take the whole knob+rim+screw assembly out of the barrel. First part done.

Next, we need to open the section, which according to my diagram, just simply were threaded in, so again, gentle heating and rubber grip actions. I managed to take the section out without any drama. Second part done.

The last part is to knock the piston shaft out of the barrel from the front. Because of the construction, the piston shaft can *never* be taken out from the front (section) part of the barrel even when it looks like it can. Then I reach for my *highly specialized, very expensive, ultra precision* ... broken chopstick, and I used it to gently tap the piston shaft, following the groove in the barrel, out from the back. Last part done.

Here we are:

Part 4

After a few duds, I finally was able to put in the new cork. Just to appreciate how well this pen is built, even the tiny ebonite disc -- whose sole job is to prevent the cork from sliding off the shaft -- was threaded with precision.

Quite a bit of heat was needed to re-assemble the pen. Both the piston rim and the section screws in tightly. The heat is very important to prevent the celluloid barrel from warping, which could happen quite easily.

Then it's time to take a deep breath, and fill the pen with water. The piston drew and expelled water. Good. Do it 10x more just to be sure.

Here's a quick sketch to test the pen. The ink is my go to testing ink Waterman Black. The hatching lines on the top serves to test the ink flow. If the ink flow is intermittent, it'll show, if the piston has a leak, it'll drip ink onto the paper.

I'll keep testing the pen for a few days continuously ...

Epilogue

Two weeks of constant use later, the new piston seal works wonderfully, not a single drop of leak no matter what position I store the pen at. I actually spent more time trying to find a 14K gold nib which would fit.

Strangely, and I think I know why, the space within the cap is very short, causing most of my 14K nibs to be just a tad too long when installed. I think at some point the part of the cap that acts as the inner-cap had been shortened to allow the threading on the barrel to engage the deeper cap threads due to the ones closer to the cap lip being worn out from use.

Happily, this Conklin nib seems to be at home with this pen.

As the result, this pen now is a wonderful sketching pen. Of course, if you prefer writing with it, you'll like it as well

Now, the only other thing is to find a Soennecken clip. This one may take a while...
    Last edited by penwash; November 22nd, 2020 at 10:05 AM.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

azkid (November 1st, 2020), AZuniga (November 2nd, 2020), carlos.q (November 2nd, 2020), ChrisJ (November 2nd, 2020), Chrissy (November 4th, 2020), Cyril (November 11th, 2020), digitalsedition (October 31st, 2020), eachan (November 1st, 2020), fountainpenkid (October 31st, 2020), manoeuver (November 1st, 2020), SchaumburgSwan (November 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Soennecken 506

Beautiful pen! I've always admired Soenneckens. They have a strong following in Europe and fetch good prices. I've never had a Soennecken but one of these days...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

penwash (November 1st, 2020)

Thanks

Part 2 added in the original post.
    - Will

Thanks

That's really stunning. Kaweco used similar material in some of their pens at the time (I have one that I ought to get round to fixing). I wonder if any other German manufacturers did?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

penwash (November 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

Some British manufacturers, most notably Conway Stewart, used this material.

Thanks

Hi,

fascinating pen and celluloid!
    Once Soennecken was the german top brand...

Thanks for presenting your beauty
    Jens
    .................................................. .................................................. .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SchaumburgSwan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Although not a vintage pen lover, I really like the ink colour.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Soennecken's as a rule are lovely good solid pens, especially the late 30's models, like your 506, and the immediate post war period . I particularly like the Flat Tops like the 5** models.

ETA: And I agree with Chrissy - a lovely ink colour

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    That's really stunning. Kaweco used similar material in some of their pens at the time (I have one that I ought to get round to fixing). I wonder if any other German manufacturers did?
    I love vintage Kaweco pens. If you have a photo of the one with the same material as this Soennecken, I'd love to see it.
    - Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ View Post
    Soennecken's as a rule are lovely good solid pens, especially the late 30's models, like your 506, and the immediate post war period . I particularly like the Flat Tops like the 5** models.

ETA: And I agree with Chrissy - a lovely ink colour
    Same here on the 5XX models.

In particular, I love this piston filler mechanism, which is also found in the 11X models like the 116.
    - Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Strictly the color, this one reminded me of a pale version of R&K Alt Gold Grun.

I really need to get me some good Grey inks. Any recommendations?
    - Will

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

I am looking forward to your commentary on the innards of your piston-filler, as I've never disassembled a Soennecken. My black 118's cork piston moves by the view window easily, though I ought to hydrate it; I've never filled it. (Meanwhile, I use a Soennecken Rheingold 616 with its unusual pop-out button.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I am looking forward to your commentary on the innards of your piston-filler, as I've never disassembled a Soennecken. My black 118's cork piston moves by the view window easily, though I ought to hydrate it; I've never filled it. (Meanwhile, I use a Soennecken Rheingold 616 with its unusual pop-out button.)
    I'm guessing (and hoping) that the piston assembly on this pen is identical to the 116 that I had a year ago.

Here's a repair note that I made for that one:

Last edited by penwash; November 9th, 2020 at 02:02 PM.
    - Will

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

リ S モ ネ (August 25th, 2021), Chrissy (November 3rd, 2020), eachan (November 3rd, 2020), FredRydr (November 3rd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Strictly the color, this one reminded me of a pale version of R&K Alt Gold Grun.

I really need to get me some good Grey inks. Any recommendations?
    Sadly I'm known as not particularly being a grey ink fan but Diamine Earl Grey is my favourite.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

penwash (November 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

Great breakdown of the 116, Will. I want one to repair now!

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 4th, 2020), penwash (November 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

Part 3 is up in the original post.
    - Will

25. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

eachan (November 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Very nice Review and I love the pen and the ink

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post: