Thread: Sailor King of Pen Brier Wood Green – Buying From Japan

Thanks

Default Sailor King of Pen Briarwood Green – Buying From Japan

Hi everyone,

I am looking to source a Sailor King of Pen Brier Wood in the green finish with a broad nib.

The pen is available on nibs.com on backorder for $1,800.00 (€1,547.92) with what could be a significant wait. I am wondering whether anyone has experience in ordering pens directly from Japanese retailers? If so, are there any retailers that could be recommended to source this beautiful pen? How about experience with Japanese forwarding services?

I have found the pen for 132,000 Japanese Yen ($1,259.00 /€1,082.50) on Japanese Rakuten but am wondering whether there are other retailers in Japan selling Sailor pens?

Thank you, in advance, for your help.
    Last edited by Schopenhauer; November 3rd, 2020 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Sailor King of Pen Brier Wood Green – Buying From Japan

Several times I have ordered directly from Japan and quickly received King of Pen models which are a bit tough to acquire here in the US: two KoP Mosaique, a Golden Cosmos, & a Silver Cosmos. They were shipped via DHL Express. Sadly, the company from which I bought the pens is no longer in business. Each time, the pens reached the East Coast of the US from Japan in 3 or 4 days. The company's prices were reasonable, and it was wonderful while it lasted. It has been about 5 years since I bought a King of Pen directly from Japan. Though I can not recommend a retailer in Japan any longer, I strongly endorse the services of DHL Express. Good luck with your hunt for the KoP Brier.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Barry B. Gabay For This Useful Post:

Schopenhauer (November 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barry B. Gabay View Post
    Several times I have ordered directly from Japan and quickly received King of Pen models which are a bit tough to acquire here in the US: two KoP Mosaique, a Golden Cosmos, & a Silver Cosmos. They were shipped via DHL Express. Sadly, the company from which I bought the pens is no longer in business. Each time, the pens reached the East Coast of the US from Japan in 3 or 4 days. The company's prices were reasonable, and it was wonderful while it lasted. It has been about 5 years since I bought a King of Pen directly from Japan. Though I can not recommend a retailer in Japan any longer, I strongly endorse the services of DHL Express. Good luck with your hunt for the KoP Brier.
    Thank you very much for your helpful reply, Barry.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Schopenhauer For This Useful Post:

Barry B. Gabay (December 1st, 2020)

Thanks

Hello,

I have order multiple pens at differing price point on the Japanese market, while located in the US. Of course, it is easiest to be physically in Japan while purchasing but that is not feasible....

There are multiple forwarding sites like Rakuten Global, Dejapan, Buyee to name a few. These divide into three categories (at least for me)
    (1) Purchase on forwarder site (has a search index for amazon JP, rakuten, yahoo auction JP) /make a request using their service by sending a link and asking for product purchase
    (2) Forwarder gives you an address, you purchase directly from amazon JP or other retail sites and ship it two forwarder address.
    (3) Has a actual physical presence, will go to store physically to purchase for you ontop of other services (most expensive)

All ways are viable, but I prefer (1) since they will communicate to retailers for you and deal with any packaging issues. They will also retain receipts in case of returns or warranty issues, but it might be better to go for (2) if you truly think you're going to need warranty.

To actually purchase, you probably want to use Yahoo Auctions (for cheapest) or rakuten/amazon JP. If the model is limited Yahoo auctions is likely to have it listed, or you can ask certain stores in JP if they have it in stock and ask (3) to purchase for you.

good luck,
    -NK

u/sworist

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sworist For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (November 10th, 2020), Barry B. Gabay (November 4th, 2020)