Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: I Cannot Fathom This Election

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,319 Posts

Default Re: I Cannot Fathom This Election

I don't see how my agnostic perspective is part of the problem. I'm not protesting, and I'm not advocating it. I've been offering here what is making these people believe it, not that it's true or false. I don't know why that gets you all so worked up.

You guys have been asserting as fact that nothing nefarious happened, and that people should just shut up and accept it (followed by lots of derisive language directed at half the country). I've been warning what would happen with your course of action, and what could happen worst case.

The main states in question have GOP legislatures. They can investigate all they want.

I don't understand why you're so emotional about all this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Oh, and you can't blame the "Left" for "pushing" Maga "too far" in this election. All the Dems did was win, for crissake. And they elected a moderate. For fuck sake, what are you talking about "pushing them too far"? Losing is not getting "pushed too far" unless you share Trump's megalomania and victim complex. And those aren't rational nor worthy of accommodation.
    Sure I can. If you don't understand what I've been talking about, you haven't been reading my posts (insert joke about 10 pages of court document here).

You're awfully miserable for someone whose candidate just won an election.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

But Maga says he didn't (well, the deluded among them).

Thanks

But Maga says he didn't (well, the deluded among them).
    I thought you said their opinion doesn't matter. Why let it bother you?

Thanks

"It's over" and some of you bet on the wrong horse. I will show some grace and grant that some of you just didn't keep up. Some of you excused horriable behavior, behavior that you would never allow your children to exhibit. Some of you have a greviance and supported the person that nearly destroyed the republic. Whatever your motivation, it is over. You lost and you were wrong.

I remember back in 1995 when the company I had worked for went through a merger and allowed the other company who was purchased to run the show. It was ugly because the demographics and infrastructure could not have been more different. There was a group of employees from my former company that just couldn't let it go. This was a global company and the white male person from France stood up in a open forum and annouced in broken English to those protesting that their company was no more, their side lost, and to get over it. It was a bitter pill, but it was true. Those than could not assimilate left and the rest of us survivied by reinventing ourselves and were able to enjoy a measure of success.

Yesterday was no surprise. I figured from the start that Trump would end this way. As David Brooks said after Trump was elected, the stain of Trump will be with us for a long time.

If the protestors had been dark skinned, I doubt some of them would have been allowed to roam the halls and simply walk out. White priviledge was on glaring display.

What should happen is to invoke the 25th ammendment, and bar this person from ever holding public office again.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (January 7th, 2021), TFarnon (January 7th, 2021), welch (January 7th, 2021)

Thanks

Who are you lecturing, Chuck? You're sounding a little unhinged.

White privilege on glaring display? Where did that come from?

Invoking the 25th amendment less than two weeks from inauguration?

NBC: 4 OCT 2018. Anti-Kavanaugh Protestors Take Over the Hart Senate Office Bldg atrium on Capitol Hill

Is this "white privilege on glaring display" too? Was this an "insurrection" and "threat to our democracy"?

Correspondent Garrett Haake said: "This is by far the largest and best-organized Anti-Kavanaugh demonstration I’ve seen yet. Bigger than any indoor Obamacare-repeal vote protest I can recall, too."
    Last edited by dneal; January 7th, 2021 at 06:22 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Ray-VIgo (January 7th, 2021)

Thanks

Bringing this back around to fountain pens with a side of politics: I now buy pens for myself to mark special occasions. The first one was when I reached my retirement fund goal. Then came the election, and Biden won. So I bought another pen. And then I bought one to celebrate the electoral college vote. Just today I bought two: one to celebrate the coming Democratic control of the Senate and one to celebrate the tallying of the electoral college vote, especially after all the to-do with the erm...protesters storming the Capitol. I already ordered yet another to celebrate my first opportunity to collect Social Security (I won't, but I could) and my 62nd birthday. That only leaves one more for Inaguration Day, and I've already decided on that day's pen. Most of the celebratory pens are Pelikan Souverans. And lest anyone be worried (yeah, uh-huh), I'm still buying other pens just to collect/write with them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 7th, 2021)

Thanks

Finally, Joe Biden is officially the President-elect of the United States of America. There is nothing more to discuss. We have seen the actions fomented by the current, lame duck President. Donald Trump is a traitor. Lock him up!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    Finally, Joe Biden is officially the President-elect of the United States of America. There is nothing more to discuss. We have seen the actions fomented by the current, lame duck President. Donald Trump is a traitor. Lock him up!
    I laughed at this - good bit of farce. It's America, there's always more to discuss or fight over. Americans love a brawl.

My thoughts:
    -Biden legitimately won the election. There may have been instances of voter fraud, but not the number required to tip the entire election.
    -The de-certification process was a form of dinner theater on a Washington, D.C. subject. It never had a real chance and was done mainly to promote its proponents with populist voters.
    -Trump is a problematic figure in that he makes good points on occasion, but also is a crass showman who manipulates people and freely mixes nonsense with his points.
    -The storming of the Capitol marks the beginning of a new era, not the end - an era of political violence by the losing side in a hot issue or election, and related retaliation.
    -The violence will permeate the legitimate political process as well - as shown by two House Members nearly coming to blows during debate hours after the mob swept through.
    -A move to modify the institutions of government at this point (e.g., expand the Supreme Court) would be spark to the tinder for more political violence.

We're in for a rough ride.
    Last edited by Ray-VIgo; January 7th, 2021 at 08:16 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 7th, 2021), Pendragon (January 14th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-VIgo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    I laughed at this - good bit of farce. It's America, there's always more to discuss or fight over. Americans love a brawl.

My thoughts:
    -Biden legitimately won the election. There may have been instances of voter fraud, but not the number required to tip the entire election.
    -The de-certification process was a form of dinner theater on a Washington, D.C. subject. It never had a real chance and was done mainly to promote its proponents with populist voters.
    -Trump is a problematic figure in that he makes good points on occasion, but also is a crass showman who manipulates people and freely mixes nonsense with his points.
    -The storming of the Capitol marks the beginning of a new era, not the end - an era of political violence by the losing side in a hot issue or election, and related retaliation.
    -The violence will permeate the legitimate political process as well - as shown by two House Members nearly coming to blows during debate hours after the mob swept through.
    -A move to modify the institutions of government at this point (e.g., expand the Supreme Court) would be spark to the tinder for more political violence.

We're in for a rough ride.
    Very insightful. Deserves more than just a "thanks".

Thanks

The neo-nazis in action.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/09/b...gtype=Homepage

Take a look at the MAGATS smashing an AP camera.

Thanks

"Your Rioters Are Worse than Our Rioters" - a new and exciting boardgame for year two of lockdown. Fun for the whole family! Choose your team and navigate a game board filled with adventure and mayhem... but make sure you bring a chest protector and bicycle helmet before you start! And coming soon... the Deluxe edition allows you behind the paywall at Breitbart, Newsmax, the New York Times, and the Washington Post! Don't miss out!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 11th, 2021), TSherbs (January 11th, 2021)

Thanks

"I laughed at this - good bit of farce. It's America, there's always more to discuss or fight over. Americans love a brawl."

Of course you did, This infantile game of "there is always more to talk about..." The discussions about who won the fair, and secure election are over. So are the immature, mendacious word games.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    If the protestors had been dark skinned, I doubt some of them would have been allowed to roam the halls and simply walk out. White priviledge was on glaring display.
    Ashli Babbitt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Ashli Babbitt
    Please elaborate your response. I would like to read what youse have to say.

If I was security that day and the rules of engagement allowed.

A lot more intruders would have gone down {Tap Tap Tap.... Anything in the free fire zone}

Still your friend and mine..
    Fred
    Last edited by Freddie; January 13th, 2021 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks

dneal, if you still think that it is "possible" that Trump actually won any state in which Biden was declared a winner, then you are a delusional idiot yourself. This "maybe" or "possible" or "plausible" shit that you write here is just another form of wishy-washy intellectual permissiveness that enables this violent bullshit and assault on democracy.

You continually criticize others for simply seeing Maga craziness for exactly what it is. And we reject it as stupid, vapid, gullible bullshit that Trump rode into office on and today stoked into outrageous violence on the seat of democratic power. All on the lie/delusion of a steal. Maga just can't take losing.

Fuck you and your mambi-pamby bullshit of "maybe" the vote was stolen and we should open an investigation in order to appease these people.

No, fuck them. Fuck every mambi-pambi ass-kissing Republican scared of them. Grow a fucking spine and stand for the principle of democracy and smooth transition of power.

I'm tired of being polite to adult idiots. We put an idiot in the White House, and now this is where we are.
    Now you know why the crazy mob stormed the Capitol. They use the same logic that you just stated above, only with a conservative bent. Such blind, ignorant, unreasoning hatred will lead us into Civil War II. Maybe that will be a good thing, though.

Thanks

But I don't have a president/leader and his lying sycophants inciting me (and my liberal cohort) to "combat" and "taking back our government" at a rally within sight of the Capitol. I don't have a president/leader telling 20,000 certifiable lies gaslighting my sense of reality. I don't have a president lying dozens and dozens of times that his landslide victory was "stolen" from him. I don't have a president suing 60+ times in court to overturn what all 50 states certified as a free and fair election result. Well, I do have that president, but I don't listen to his lying ass.

And only 6 more days is he our president.

Thanks

Why was the threat not considered before the deadly attack on the US Capital? There was not the law enforcement agency coordination that took place during BLM protests. I heard a possible explanation that the agencies never considered the protest a threat since those protesting "looked just like themselves". I am not trying to validate whether this is true or not. Certainly there is room to disagree. However, it did make me think how I might not see a threat because of familiarity.

Thanks

This false equivalency bullshit is really disappointing from otherwise intelligent people:

"Well, all presidents lie."
    "Well, look, you are angry and biased, too."
    "Well, look, Gore contested his election, too."
    "Well, Russian hacking of the last election was a conspiracy theory, too."

Thanks

This false equivalency bullshit is really disappointing from otherwise intelligent people:

"Well, all presidents lie."
    "Well, look, you are angry and biased, too."
    "Well, look, Gore contested his election, too."
    "Well, Russian hacking of the last election was a conspiracy theory, too."
    Wordy managing of "whataboutism", which is a buzzword used to deflect hypocrisy.

The desire to ignore one's own complicity is evidence of irrationality from "otherwise intelligent people".

It's not either-or. Both sides have created this mess.