Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: I Cannot Fathom This Election

Thanks

Default Re: I Cannot Fathom This Election

From the article...the Erik Wemple blog:

The call happened; it was an abuse of presidential authority; and it failed to corrupt the investigators working under Raffensperger. But Trump wasn’t quite the plain-spoken rogue depicted in The Post’s story. We know this because the Wall Street Journal’s Cameron McWhirter last week published a recording of Trump’s six-minute call with Watson.

On the recording, there was no “find the fraud.” But there was this: “If you can get to Fulton, you are going to find things that are going to be unbelievable — the dishonesty,” said Trump.

There was no “national hero.” But there was this: “When the right answer comes out, you’ll be praised. … People will say, ‘Great.’ Because that’s what it’s about — that ability to check and to make it right,” Trump told Watson.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Another Supreme Court challenge (PA) rejected as moot.

So the battle over ballot access will shift now to all the individual states. More gaslighting, fear mongering, and phoney suggestive stats to come! "We know how those cities are!" "All those dead people voting!" "Voter IDs are the best way to restore confidence!" "What about those black suitcases?" HA!

Thanks

And now the Arizona Attorney General (Republican) has reported to her party that there is no evidence of voter fraud in Arizona in the last election. By "no evidence," I mean, for example (she reported) that the GOP filed 18,000+ claims of double voting, precisely ten (10) were forwarded to law enforcement for further investigation.

Ten.

In my earlier review of "dead people voting" in the swing states being contested, I found three. And the only party of an accused person committing that fraud was Republican.

Unfortunately, I can "fathom" these GOP efforts: It is, primarily, a massive effort by white GOP representatives (overwhelmingly) to smear the voting process in an effort to reign in the expansion of voting participation by the lower income groups, particularly in urban areas and communities of color. This is a white effort (overwhelmingly) to hold onto its traditional and historical position of power since the GOP, in the 1970s, abandoned its efforts to appeal to black voters and went all in on the racial divide. Now, demographics (expansion of the percentage of urban citizens of color and urban politics and identity) are making that move a losing one, and we are watching the policy of panic and paranoia and deceit in a loosening grip on the top rung of racialized politics.

State politicians in those states disgust me with their willfully ignorant and racist maneuverings. They are cynical in the extreme. Several GOP leaders have been recorded stating, openly, that they know that if a higher percentage of citizens votes, the present GOP is doomed to becoming the permanent runner-up. The GOP's recent maneuvers in these several states is an all-out effort to make legal various limitations on easy access to voting in the modern world, despite there being no systemic, significant, or even relevant evidence of voting fraud. It turns out, for example, that we, as a nation, are much much much more honest with our voting than we are with our tax forms.

Limiting access and ease of voting is a crass, craven, cynical, and despotic racist effort to disenfranchise "legally" the power of urban and black voting (primarily) in just enough swing states to garner power back to the GOP.

And in a democracy, this is a moral crime.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

2ntense (April 24th, 2021), Chuck Naill (April 24th, 2021), welch (May 3rd, 2021)

Thanks

Did you hear about McConnell telling businesses to stay out of politics? The absolute worse thing that freedom loving people should do is be silent. As the quote goes, the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing (or similar).

Thanks

Yes, I heard about it. McConnell is an opportunist snake. I say, bring on the fight! Call McConnell's bluff! For him to target big profitable businesses with targeted tax changes will only mean the quicker end of the GOP coalition. And the big businesses will win. He can't and won't follow through on his threats. He's a reptilian dinosaur.

Thanks

I am finding it hard to stay connected to the news. Between the millions dying of COVID-19, the daily shooting of another African American adults and now children, and the disfunction of the Trumpian GOP, it is just too much to have to take in.

Last week a Trumpian friend sent me a bogus study saying masks were useless against the virus. It was easily debunked, but the problem is, nonsense like this spreads like wild fire amoung the Trump loyalists and they are refusing a vaccine.

In the state university the president of the institution refused to mandate flu and COVID-19 vaccines, but kept in place childhood vaccines. Wow, how stupid is it going to get?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Did you hear about McConnell telling businesses to stay out of politics? The absolute worse thing that freedom loving people should do is be silent. As the quote goes, the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing (or similar).
    To be clear, you would not, like some Democrats, overturn Citizens United?
    https://auburnpub.com/news/local/gov...dd9a6d61e.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post
    How is this germane to the discussion?

Your response is the usual lame "what about this" which is not relavant or applicable, but just some sort of horse manure to muddy to stink things up. Go away if you can't relate.

Thanks

Your response is the usual lame "what about this" which is not relavant or applicable, but just some sort of horse manure to muddy to stink things up. Go away if you can't relate.
    Chuck,
    Oh dear, you're so confused you're mixing metaphors, and you're forgotten your history.
    Let's be clear: Dems have opposed Citizens Unitedbecause it allowed the influx of corporate cash into elections.
    Dems talked about a constitutional amendment or legislation to overturn the decision.
    Now you say McConnell wants corporations out of politics, and that's the devil' work.
    Let's try a simpler question: do you think a corporation is a person?
    One last question: you do realize that every time someone uses the "what about this" response it demonstrates an inability to justify hypocrisy?

Thanks

It's not, particularly. Citizen's United decision prohibits government regulation of corporate and labor group direct communications and donations on behalf of candidates running for office.

Opposing the increased limitations on the ease and manner of voting for certain sectors of the electorate is a different matter, entirely. Deciding whether or not run one's business, or to host certain events, in certain areas over aspects of justice has nothing to do with the ruling of Citizen's United (which was argued over the First Amendment). There is no First Amendment issue in the recent corporate positions regarding bills being proposed for law.
    Last edited by TSherbs; April 26th, 2021 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    It's not, particularly. Citizen's United decision prohibits government regulation of corporate and labor group direct communications and donations on behalf of candidates running for office.

Opposing the increased limitations on the ease and manner of voting for certain sectors of the electorate is a different matter, entirely. Deciding whether or not run one's business, or to host certain events, in certain areas over aspects of justice has nothing to do with the ruling of Citizen's United (which was argued over the First Amendment). There is no First Amendment issue in the recent corporate positions regarding bills being proposed for law.
    TS-
    You took a wrong turn on the way to the discussion. Dems against Citizens wanted big business and its cash out of politics. Chuck argues that the worst thing that corporations can do is get out of politics.

Thanks

News Max has now provided their apology and retraction.

From Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewals...-fraud-claims/
    Last edited by TSherbs; May 2nd, 2021 at 11:41 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

welch (May 3rd, 2021)

Thanks

The problem is the damage has been done. Plus, when news sources do this, it hurts every source.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

Cookedj (May 10th, 2021)

Thanks

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

welch (May 21st, 2021)

Thanks

Trump is spouting "insane lies," says Maricopa GOP elections commissioner:

https://www.businessinsider.com/gop-...nhinged-2021-5

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

welch (May 21st, 2021)

Thanks

Donald Trump is mentally ill. What he says are signs of a seriously delusional person, not connected to reality. That so many people believe him is cause for sadness and puts our nation at great peril.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sphere For This Useful Post:

welch (May 21st, 2021)

Thanks

We saw some of those "believers" in action January 6. Reminds me of the violent mob at the end of "The Day of the Locust," by Nathanael West. West wasn't being complimentary about America, either. He was a prophetic genius.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

welch (May 21st, 2021)

Thanks

At this point it is important that people remind others of Donald Trump's mental illnesses. (It is plural when you add in his extreme narcissism.) It disqualifies him for any future attempt to run for president. It is also a potent reminder to those who still embrace him that their loyalty is not supported by rational thought. He needs professional intervention, but unfortunately, delusional thinking is the most difficult of all mental illnesses to treat successfully.

Thanks

Didn't see an M.D. or P.H.D. after your name.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Didn't see an M.D. or P.H.D. after your name.
    They're the diehards, although their viewership has taken a serious hit they still can't help talking about Trump. He lives in their heads.

And, there's no way any of them want to talk about the Biden presidency...
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."