Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterman Taperite Restore

Thanks

Default Waterman Taperite Restore

I'm new to restoring fountain pens, but I am thoroughly enjoying my experience so far. I have resac'ed and cleaned one Waterman pen from eBay. No clue on year or model, but it wrote beautifully when it was done. Fine 2A nib with a decent bit of flex. I miss that pen. Someone bought it off me quick. I now have a black-gold USA taperite that I'm tearing down. I've successfully removed the section and the lever from the body. There's still some sac left inside that I'm currently trying to get out. My big question is this: how do I remove the nib? It appears that the tapered end might not be as wide as the end of the feed...but I can't really tell. Does it come out through the tapered end like every other pen I've see or is there a trick to this one? I tried gently tapping it using a jewelers hammer, small punch and securing it in a jewelers vice...it looks like it moved some, but I'm afraid to push it and possibly crack the section. So I come to the experts! Help?
    Last edited by naviathan; November 3rd, 2020 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Re: Waterman Taperite Restore

It's all too easy to damage pens.

I'm not an expert. I've seen advice to apply heat, with a temp controlled device. If it is hard rubber, it makes the rubber less brittle and make it easier to remove the nib. If celluloid it can expand/losen/soften. But too much heat and/or for too long can destroy stuff very easily. And there's little tolerance on the temp.

Also I've seen many pros ecommend that if you don't *need* to remove a nib, don't.

I am uninformed about that particular pen.

I would scour the internet for repair advice from pros.

Or course with FPN down you're missing out on a lot.

Maybe check out some books on fountain pen repair too.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Taperites have a *number* of issues and quirks. Frankly, they were the worst experience for me and while I like the pen and design, I stopped trying to restore them. For one thing, you are lucky to have gotten the section out, because many are GLUED in place, and even the shellaced or pressure-fit ones are so tight that you can snap the barrel in half without any pressure.

I can't find it because it was a few years back and I'm not certain where my notes are... but if you do some dedicated Google searches there were a couple of articles on restoration for this pen, and the odd way the nib and feed are placed in the section. For now, take a look at this page at Munson Pens, where he goes over a few Taperite/Crusader restores. Also, you'll note a thread right here on FPG from a couple years ago with some of our horror stories.

You really need your wits and patience with these and even then, the odds are... not wonderful. Good luck!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Is there a reason that you must remove the nib? Restoring pens, I never remove the nib unless it's damaged and needs work or replacement, or when the section is absolutely clogged. I flush with a bulb and nine times out of ten that's enough.

As Jon says, you did well to remove the section from the barrel if this is the US variety of Taperite. They are pens that love to break. The UK sections aren't glued or quite so tight but they need handled with care too.

Thanks

Well, it took some time and patience with a jewelers vice and hammer, but I was able to tap out the feed. The nib stuck in the section until the feed came out and I was able to peel it away. Lots of nasty ink in there that acted like a glue. The fitment is extremely tight and I'm going to explore some option to put the thing back together again.

Taperite disassembled.jpg
    Last edited by naviathan; November 5th, 2020 at 06:22 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to naviathan For This Useful Post:

amk (November 5th, 2020)

Thanks

There's a thing called a knock-out block that's rather better than a vice. I'm not sure I understand the reason for such total disassembly, even removing the lever box.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 5th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eachan View Post
    ...I'm not sure I understand the reason for such total disassembly, even removing the lever box.
    In antique auto parlance, he wants to do what’s called “a frame-off restoration” whether or not it’s warranted.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

eachan (November 7th, 2020), Jon Szanto (November 5th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    ...I'm not sure I understand the reason for such total disassembly, even removing the lever box.
    In antique auto parlance, he wants to do what’s called “a frame-off restoration” whether or not it’s warranted.
    I get that, but with the delicacy of the lever boxes, not to mention the barrel itself, this is courting disaster just to get a "showroom new" look. Or at least it feels that way. Not my pen, tho, so... whatever!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

eachan (November 7th, 2020)

Thanks

There's a thing called a knock-out block that's rather better than a vice. I'm not sure I understand the reason for such total disassembly, even removing the lever box.
    I wanted to clean all the bits and pieces out of the body since the previous sac had "melted" into everything inside the pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

There are safer ways to clean the gunk out of the pen though. Lighter fluid will soften melted sac, making it easier to get out of the barrel.

I would recommend that one not remove a lever box unless they are replacing it. The metal on the tabs becomes very brittle, and often breaks before you get it back in position. When replacing a lever box, I usually break the donor barrel rather than try to get the lever box out. Once the lever box is free you need to heat the tab (and you only lift the forward one) to where it is red, then bend the lever down. When you do that your chances of getting it back in place without it breaking are much better.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

amk (November 18th, 2020), eachan (November 5th, 2020), Jon Szanto (November 5th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

I have no clue why you removed the lever assembly. I'd actually like to know.

How do you plan on putting it back in?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I watched a video on how to remove and insert the lever box so I will put it back the way it came out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naviathan View Post
    I watched a video on how to remove and insert the lever box so I will put it back the way it came out.
    One video will never, can never, illuminate the many ways this can go wrong. The ability to post a video of something requires far less skill. I think Ron's suggestions, as posted earlier, should be required reading. Along with Marshall and Oldfleld, and maybe Binder has some thoughts. Good luck!

~ Benjamin Franklin

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Sorry to say this, but there are some repair videos out there that make what's left of my hair stand on end.

If you can, heat where the tabs connect to cherry red and then let them air cool before you put the box back in. If you don't check back later and we can discuss how to repair lever boxes with broken tabs. Really. I've done enough of these over the years that I know that sometimes even WITH heating the metal fatigues and breads the first time they're bent, and it's more likely when you don't.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

eachan (November 7th, 2020), Jon Szanto (November 7th, 2020), penwash (November 8th, 2020)

Thanks

But why remove the lever box?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,701 Times in 1,971 Posts

Since you posted about a restoration in a Repair section of a pen forum, I think it will benefit you well if you stop and consider some of the questions and suggestions already posted here.

Experienced vintage pen restorers like Eachan, Ron, and Todd (@Farmboy) who already chimed can be a good source of info that you can tap into, instead of dismissing their advice and relying on a video.

Unless that video also correctly warned that a perfectly good Waterman lever-box is not something you'd want to take out if you just want to clean out the dried sac remnants.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

azkid (November 9th, 2020), eachan (November 8th, 2020)

Thanks

Ok, well thanks everyone for your input. I will surely not ask for more of it.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to naviathan For This Useful Post:

amk (November 18th, 2020)

Thanks

I was genuinely interested in why the lever box was pulled and which method you used.

There are often disagreements between repair people so there isn’t a single answer to how to restore a pen. I hope you decide to come back.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    I was genuinely interested in why the lever box was pulled and which method you used.

There are often disagreements between repair people so there isn’t a single answer to how to restore a pen. I hope you decide to come back.
    I for one would love to see the OP come back and show us his "after" photos when he's put all of the pen parts correctly back together by following the video. It might all go perfectly well and prove to be a simple repair job for him. On the other hand.....
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Basically Ron you're annealing the lever box while it's out of the pen?