Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: File under 'Technology will make life simpler'

Thanks

Default Re: File under 'Technology will make life simpler'

Seems like all the years of saying "when we upgrade" as answer to technical problems but never actually doing it has bitten them in the you-know-where. Too bad, because the resource of info on there is incredibly useful and it'd be a real loss if it disappears. Fingers Nibs crossed, I s'pose.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks

Chuck, there are a number of people here who have been badly mistreated by FPN and that's why they wouldn't miss it. Chrissy is in that category.

Thanks

No need for personal details, but perhaps in broad strokes: how can a forum treat a person badly?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    No need for personal details, but perhaps in broad strokes: how can a forum treat a person badly?
    To be as precise as you appear to require, then, moderators and admins acting on behalf of FPN have ejected and banned people without warning or explanation. I've been a member of FPN for a number of years and I'm a recent member here. I find this board to be more pleasant and generally better informed.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (November 7th, 2020), Yazeh (November 8th, 2020)

Thanks

I guess I've been to FPN a number of times, but I didn't think about it as I was focused on my search information. However after being sensitized by this thread, I noticed a large number of my search results last night were on FPN. I'll gladly accept that the actual forum leaves much to be desired, but I sure would like access to that information. I'm sure it'll work out and they'll be back, and it's nice to see people coming over here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eachan View Post
    To be as precise as you appear to require, then, moderators and admins acting on behalf of FPN have ejected and banned people without warning or explanation. I've been a member of FPN for a number of years and I'm a recent member here. I find this board to be more pleasant and generally better informed.
    I would be surprised if FPN would eject or ban people without explanation or warning. By implication this would mean that the FPN member was breaking the rules and was not aware that they were doing so.

Your claim makes FPN Moderators sound like unreasonable monsters, which I doubt.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Sounds like it is the customization that drove certain features (and if I recall was expensive to implement) that is the problem.
    That is my impression. I also suspect a significant degree if DIY instead of having technical expertise in the mix, but this is only conjecture based on observation.
    There are different kinds of technical expertise. The DIY part is technical expertise. Being able to track changes, merge branches, etc, is a different skillset that requires perhaps more attention to detail than just slinging code in the first place. But it's critical: it's the "adulting" part of software development.

From what I gather this is also an upgrade from Invision 3.x to Invision 4.x, and that itself is a big deal, as Invision apparently rewrote the whole stack for 4.0.

Thanks

You may believe whatever you choose, Rob. I'm not going to dredge up the unpleasant behaviour at FPN yet again. There are a number of very long threads covering the subject. I suggest you read them and thereby educate yourself.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Seems like all the years of saying "when we upgrade" as answer to technical problems but never actually doing it has bitten them in the you-know-where. Too bad, because the resource of info on there is incredibly useful and it'd be a real loss if it disappears. Fingers Nibs crossed, I s'pose.
    In the event of a catastrophic failure, there are ways to recover such wealth of data, such as using google cache system or internet wayback machine. It will be a lenghty task, but worth it.

Thanks

Chuck, there are a number of people here who have been badly mistreated by FPN and that's why they wouldn't miss it. Chrissy is in that category.
    I could probably complain about how I’ve been treated over the years by forums, but part of the blame would honestly have to be placed on me.

Thanks

After all, there are members here who have chosen to leave.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I could probably complain about how I’ve been treated over the years by forums, but part of the blame would honestly have to be placed on me.
    That sounds pretty honest to me, I bet a number of banned FPN people knew what they were doing was wrong and also that they got warnings.

Thanks

There is only one aspect of FPN I find disquieting: a perceived tolerance for bad behaviour from donors. There are a couple of people there whose repeated and flagrant disregard of the rules can only be explained, in my mind, by the fact that they are paying members.

Otherwise, I find the people there knowledgeable and friendly.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    That sounds pretty honest to me, I bet a number of banned FPN people knew what they were doing was wrong and also that they got warnings.
    Warnings or not, you have to know when to walk away and when to say what you think is important enough that being banned is worth a price you’re willing to pay.

Some people are miserable and bring their drama to bear. It’s best to ignore. I might need to be reminded from time to time ...lol!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I would be surprised if FPN would eject or ban people without explanation or warning. By implication this would mean that the FPN member was breaking the rules and was not aware that they were doing so.

Your claim makes FPN Moderators sound like unreasonable monsters, which I doubt.

I was banned from FPN. While I do have some clues about why - and it's nothing to do with being controversial in threads - it was never explained or discussed with me. Also, I was (for my sins) a moderator.

The moderating team was a mixed bunch, Rob. There were some decent people, and some real assholes. Not sure what it's like today though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post

I was banned from FPN. While I do have some clues about why - and it's nothing to do with being controversial in threads - it was never explained or discussed with me. Also, I was (for my sins) a moderator.

The moderating team was a mixed bunch, Rob. There were some decent people, and some real assholes. Not sure what it's like today though.
    I am surprised Empty, a bit confused too. I am guessing that someone thought that you had the right qualities to be a moderator and to then say to you P Off, it is a bit like me promoting someone one week and sacking them the next.

In your case, if it was nothing to do with being controversial in threads by which I guess that you include words like argumentative, difficult and insulting then the offence must have happened either back office in PMs or there was other reasons to where people made complaints, were you a typical Moderator for example? I don't know, trying to make sense of story when I only have a small amount of information.

Thanks

I can't speak to people being banned, but I've been on at least one thread on FPN that was simply removed from existence. FPN doesn't like things to be too negative about pen dealers or manufacturers. To be honest, it might have been my own vitriolic comment on a thread about Jetpens that caused the thread to get deleted.

However, I don't get as bent out of shape as some people when a thread gets locked or deleted. It boggles my mind that some people think that creating a thread or post or whatever on the internet somehow gives them property rights to that thread/post/whatever, and that having it locked is somehow a gross indignity or theft.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to XYZZY For This Useful Post:

A Smug Dill (November 13th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post

I am surprised Empty, a bit confused too. I am guessing that someone thought that you had the right qualities to be a moderator and to then say to you P Off, it is a bit like me promoting someone one week and sacking them the next.

In your case, if it was nothing to do with being controversial in threads by which I guess that you include words like argumentative, difficult and insulting then the offence must have happened either back office in PMs or there was other reasons to where people made complaints, were you a typical Moderator for example? I don't know, trying to make sense of story when I only have a small amount of information.

No, I wasn't a typical moderator, being quite liberal in my politics as it were, but I didn't have a lot to do most of the time. There are written rules over there, and there are unwritten secret rules imposed by a clique within the moderator group. Often these are seen as arbitrary by, well, everyone else.

Although many people here would say, and quite fairly, that I can be argumentative, I am also quite principled. Further, if I see a breaking of what should be a commonly held principle among civilised people, then I will call it out. The groundwork for my ban started when I called someone out for a concerning conflict of interest.

Edit: I still frequently visit FPN, but I don't take part. It's just not worth the hassle.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; November 7th, 2020 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aquafox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    In the event of a catastrophic failure, there are ways to recover such wealth of data, such as using google cache system or internet wayback machine. It will be a lenghty task, but worth it.
    I had a goof via the Wayback Machine earlier this week but it appears that they only took a snapshot of the home page and never went any deeper. But my connection is notoriously &*$@ so I could only look at a couple of examples and thus will be more than happy to discover I'm wrong. Maybe someone PM me if so - this thread has lurched into murky waters I'd rather not wade through.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks

After all, there are members here who have chosen to leave.
    Choosing to leave is different from being ejected, Chuck.