Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

Thanks

Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    As for FPN, it feels a bit sterile now compared with, say, 5 years ago. No doubt partly this is due to the leaching away of certain characters and experts, and perhaps partly is a function of the exceptionally restrictive rules of the site which practically deny the possibility of having anything resembling a normal human conversation.
    Given the nonsense that has gone one over there, what do people expect? Believe it or not, FPN was initially a very fun, very welcoming, super friendly place, with great management and uncensored yet very civil discourse. I am glad I joined it back in the day. I do wish I had left after my first post though, one thanking the members and forum for providing very helpful information. It wasn't long after that the place went off the tracks.

Reddit /r/fountainpens/ is now the largest fountain pen forum by far, and FPGeeks is still here. There are tons of pen-related YouTube videos, and a huge amount of pen content on various social media websites. FPN is now a minor part of the overall pen scene, and not worth worrying about. If it is sterile, then at least it won't give you coronavirus. The online pen community no longer has any one center, and is the better for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I don't disagree, apart from the final statement. I am not so sure that broad distribution is any better. Having concentrated zones for experts/enthusiasts does at least offer the potential for a conversation that someone like me, who is condemned by certain vocal influencers to be only an eavesdropper, can at least overhear and glean some information.

Going into 2021 it would be cool if people gave some thought to the mythical concept of a 'pen community', because right now there are any number of long-term members at both sites who may talk about inclusivity but certainly do not embody that sentiment in their actions online.

We can be better, as a community, but we can only do so by trying to be better as individuals.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Pendragon (January 1st, 2021)

Thanks

Broad distribution does not mean dilution, of expertise, information or audience size. Rather, it creates resilience, as the loss of any one element does not bring down the entire network. It also creates competition, so poorly run entities will lose market share to better alternatives. You can learn from most, if not all of those venues, and interact with a diverse array of people. Knowledge can be gathered from multiple places, and all the experts do not necessarily congregate at any one site online.

As for whiny influencers, if they throw rocks at you, you can always throw rocks back. Or simply leave for someplace better. From what I have seen, many "influencers" are little more than shills anyways. Why would anybody let themselves be influenced by such people?

Perhaps "community" was the wrong word, as it implies a sense of togetherness and unity not always found among pen enthusiasts. I should have said "online fountain pen world". It encompasses not only privately run forums, but Pinterest, Facebook, blogs, YouTube channels, Instagram, Reddit, podcasts, etc. Members at "both sites" (I assume you mean FPGeeks and FPN) are only a tiny part of a much larger online world, and only a miniscule part of fountain pen users worldwide. Often forum regulars see the forums as the center of things, but they're not, at least not anymore.

Forum members showing a lack of civility and inclusivity is nothing new, and not only for fountain pen forums. That is very likely why forums of all sorts are fading away, and people moving on to other social media platforms.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Understood, and as a general view I do agree with much that you have posted. Unfortunately for people geographically remote from pen shows or shops, online resources are all there is. So yes, checking multiple sources, reddit, YT, etc is useful in gathering information, but less useful in trying to build connection to those who don't frequent such sites. And as you point out, that could be a lot of useful contacts. I am unaware of any non-online pen groups, of course.

For example, I know of only one vintage pen dealer that I can trust and have bought from recently, and two repair people - I mean this in the sense of people with whom I've been lucky enough to make contact with. So perhaps you can sense the difficulty for me, and I'm sure others in similar position, and understand why promoting greater unity/togetherness is important.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Time has passed... real world events are beyond description... but here goes:

I just went to click on FPN and the site is broken, as it just serves up some raw HTML stuff without formating or graphics or useable structure. Anyone else get this?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

I just went to click on FPN and the site is broken, as it just serves up some raw HTML stuff without formating or graphics or useable structure. Anyone else get this?

Yes Jon

Thanks

Yep. I opened a thread to alert Wim, assuming he was not already aware.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 1,745 Posts

Yes.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Seems corrected now but something is... different. Layout is slightly tweaked from what I remember and there is an odd graphic while page loads are being done. Maybe they were going through some back-end change or something.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Layout is slightly tweaked from what I remember and there is an odd graphic while page loads are being done. Maybe they were going through some back-end change or something.
    Loading (yet more) js bullshit.

It was "interesting" trying to post with CSS disabled. The site is so reliant on it and javascript for basic functionality. I would hate to try and navigate it by screenreader, it is an accessibility nightmare.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (January 13th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

They are loading a bunch of crap in the background. Probably turning on the ads and data harvesters making it even less usable.

Good thing actually. I’m not really needed there.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 13th, 2021), eachan (January 20th, 2021), Ray-VIgo (January 20th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    They are loading a bunch of crap in the background. Probably turning on the ads and data harvesters making it even less usable.

Good thing actually. I’m not really needed there.
    I believe there will continue to be a need for you. You have helped me from time to time.

Thanks

What a bunch of cry babies. FPN is a useful as before.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Great empathy there.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Great empathy there.
    I use empathy when it is due, but this incessant complaining about the other forum by the same folks needs to be called out less it becomes enabled.

Some members gain a status that does not always transfer to other forums. Some do.

Thanks

What are you, Chuck? The conscience of Fountain Pen Gesks? You have an opinion for every day of the week and any subject that comes along.

Thanks

I enjoy that there is more than one forum and consider it to be an asset to those of us who enjoy fountain pens. When long time members here complain for a number of trivial, usually personal reasons, it diminishes rather than strengthens.

Right now,. my empathy goes out to the owner of this and the other forum for having to put up with so much immaturity and ungrateful members.

Thanks

Okay, Jiminy.

Thanks

Windy down there, friend?

Thanks

"Same as it ever was..."

~ David Byrne

~ Benjamin Franklin

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

eachan (January 21st, 2021)