Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

Thanks

Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eachan View Post
    I think they can do without mine in future.
    As they could have in the past.
    What are you? The appointed FPN defender? If you are they're in trouble. That was just about the most pointless response I've seen on either board.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Take a look how long this shit hangs around. Best part is that the mod (GP) wrote me privately that it wasn't really my fault...

Attachment 59277
    word

That's longer than some felony charges

Thanks

I think they can do without mine in future.
    As they could have in the past.
    What are you? The appointed FPN defender? If you are they're in trouble. That was just about the most pointless response I've seen on either board.
    E-
    Regarding pointless: please reread your comment that I quoted.
    Both FPG and FPN will survive without any one of us.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 397 Posts

Jon, that the warnings are still there may be an oversite, something that got caught up in one of the upgrades. The system is supposed to clear after so many days. With over 100K registered users, nobody goes looking at all of the profiles. A note to a mod, or Wim if the moderator can't remove them, might get them removed.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Take a look how long this shit hangs around. Best part is that the mod (GP) wrote me privately that it wasn't really my fault...

Attachment 59277
    That's not so bad, I have a warning from 2009. Hasn't kept me awake nights.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kazoolaw For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 23rd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Jon, that the warnings are still there may be an oversite, something that got caught up in one of the upgrades. The system is supposed to clear after so many days. With over 100K registered users, nobody goes looking at all of the profiles. A note to a mod, or Wim if the moderator can't remove them, might get them removed.
    Thanks, Ron, but I only put it here in the thread for perspective. It doesn't bother me a bit, mostly because I know that I'm not a bad person worthy of any major admonishment. GP and I had a good discussion back-channel at the time and I never paid any attention to these warning things... until this thread reminded me of the mechanism. It's all good, and thanks.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
    ... Then again, I feel like forums are slowly dying out in general.
    If they are, then it is because participants become frustrated or disgusted by all the advertising. I know that is exactly why one website I moderated has shrunk from its former self after the owner sold it for a good price to an advert hosting firm.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

When I mentioned this a few posts back it was kind of ignored, so it is interesting to read that @adhoc noticed something similar. I am not convinced it is solely down to increased advertising, though that certainly doesn't help. Unfortunately, I am not a member of any mainstream interest groups, so my next statement is somewhat under-qualified, but this waning of engagement that I perceive seems to be more obvious on sites related to things that have developed a kind of hipster quality to them - EDC, Carryology, onebag, fountain pen sites and so on.

It's just an observation, and given my outsider status, there are probably large swathes of the picture I am not seeing.

edit: I guess I was hinting at the up and down tick that marks trends manifesting in the drop-off in forum engagement. All a bit of a guess really.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; February 23rd, 2021 at 03:33 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    ... Then again, I feel like forums are slowly dying out in general.
    If they are, then it is because participants become frustrated or disgusted by all the advertising. I know that is exactly why one website I moderated has shrunk from its former self after the owner sold it for a good price to an advert hosting firm.
    Actually, I believe adhoc has a valid point, completely aside from the monetary side of running sites/forums. There has recently been a fair amount of writing about the change in modes of communication online, and the fact that traditional forum discussion formats are seeing less and less use and traffic, as well as catering to an aging demographic. Younger audiences have gone to other modes of connection and communication, with quicker/shorter msg formats, visual media, and primarily phone-centric apps being preferred. This parallels the drop in email use for personal communication in deference to text and other messaging apps.

There are a zillion younger pen fans out there right now, and very few are interested in old-school format forums. Look at reddit, look at slack communities, YouTube channels... It isn't the ads that are causing the drop, it's a change in platforms and demographics. That said, all the ads suck, big-time.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I - and several others - commented in the the thread about the offensive ads. Wim "disappeared" the comments and locked the thread. That's what gets my back up with FPN. Wim's sheer bloody arrogance in daring to take down other people's comments. FPN wouldn't exist without our input! I think they can do without mine in future.
    No one likes a whiner!

Thanks

Jon-
    Thanks for teaching me a new thing: slack communities. As if I needed more confirmation that I'm old.
    As someone who's been on slack and Reddit, how would you compare the content/style/community to forums like FPG & FPN? How about archiving info?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I - and several others - commented in the the thread about the offensive ads. Wim "disappeared" the comments and locked the thread. That's what gets my back up with FPN. Wim's sheer bloody arrogance in daring to take down other people's comments. FPN wouldn't exist without our input! I think they can do without mine in future.
    No one likes a whiner!
    Well be quiet then, Chuck, and we'll pretend you're not there.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for teaching me a new thing: slack communities. As if I needed more confirmation that I'm old.
    As someone who's been on slack and Reddit, how would you compare the content/style/community to forums like FPG & FPN? How about archiving info?
    I wouldn't have known except for two connections. Slack came into being primarily as a workgroup tool, and a lot of tech and other large companies use it for in-house communication, though it isn't limited to that. I only monitor 2 of these, one very large, one exceedingly small.

The large one is one that was set up by Brad Dowdy, who is the guy behind Pen Addict. Brad was already a popular person on the pen scene (and related - pencils, paper, etc) due to his blog and his reviews. He also has a very popular podcast (which is ANOTHER thing that has put forums in the dust). Anyway, at some point he decided to create a Slack group so people could discuss between each other all this stuff, a lot like being at a pen show after dark, in the bar. While they can be set up in many ways, his is common in that there are sub-sections for people to post about various topics - fountain pens, pen_sales, general, repair, etc.

However, it is very much like reddit in the non-permanence of material. It is a platform that was built for immediacy and of-the-moment. For the generation that never lets the phone leave their hand. As such, it is a terrible platform for either in-depth conversation or (especially) a historical repository of knowledge (say, for instance, like the "Repair" forum at FPN). It is not easy to search and... well, just totally different from a forum. It can be very disorienting to see all the various comments coming in as one big stream, always scrolling out of view. It can be difficult to find posts from hours or a day ago. It really can be JUST like walking into a noisy room full of people talking about a particular subject. And the PA Slack has a lot of rabid pen people, and a fair number of the 'influencers' in the newer crowd of pen peeps, so a lot goes down. They also tend to meet up at pen shows, when those happen.

Conversely, the other group I'm in maybe is about a dozen or so, all from a particular 'background' but almost like finding a little back room at a pen show and getting away from the crowd and just having an intimate group chat. Very little traffic but for some of the people, it is the only place I can see them or talk with them in a group setting.

Meh, sorry, I babbled. That should give a bit of a view to the differences between some of this and forums. BTW, I have to laugh when people talk about how big FPN is. FPN shows 117,000 members, but the reddit "fountain pens" group, only around for 10 years, is at 186,000 members, and there is a LOT of activity. Repetitious, youthful, churning activity, but activity nonetheless. That's a good thing, I think.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; February 23rd, 2021 at 05:34 PM.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Just watching the passing parade.

Thanks

I can say I've observed the same. Forums are in general dying out and platforms like reddit are much more popular. The reddit fountain pens is very lively, but like Jon said, it's Lamy safaris all day long (Lamy Safari being a symbol for entry level pens) with an interesting post here and there for someone more experienced. I appreciate the enthusiasm of newcomers, but I wish it had more posts about other things pens related.

The subreddit in question must have some bots that auto downvote, or so I suspect. There's also rarely a follow up if you help someone or even an answer really. I don't know, I still prefer forums for discussions.

Also, there is most definitely "hipster quality" to pens like EoC wrote. I've seen this with pens, mechanical keyboards, and headphones.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 23rd, 2021), penwash (February 24th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (February 24th, 2021)

Thanks

FPN shows no content for me now, only thread titles. I click on them , and nothing, no text, no pics, no posts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    FPN shows no content for me now, only thread titles. I click on them , and nothing, no text, no pics, no posts.
    Well it's an hour later and it's all there for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

I can say I've observed the same. Forums are in general dying out and platforms like reddit are much more popular. The reddit fountain pens is very lively, but like Jon said, it's Lamy safaris all day long (Lamy Safari being a symbol for entry level pens) with an interesting post here and there for someone more experienced. I appreciate the enthusiasm of newcomers, but I wish it had more posts about other things pens related.

The subreddit in question must have some bots that auto downvote, or so I suspect. There's also rarely a follow up if you help someone or even an answer really. I don't know, I still prefer forums for discussions.

Also, there is most definitely "hipster quality" to pens like EoC wrote. I've seen this with pens, mechanical keyboards, and headphones.
    I agree that the r/fountainpens subreddit is not a good place for discussions.

You can, however save a post so it's in a list that you can refer to in the future.

I think among the currently available forums, we have a good mix of content vs energy ratio.

Oh that reminds me. There are also pen-related Discord.com chat servers.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Well it's an hour later and it's all there for me.
    I am still not seeing anything. I’m on iOS & Safari

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Oh that reminds me. There are also pen-related Discord.com chat servers.
    Thanks, Will, I should have included those, even though I haven't taken part. All part of the shifting demographics.

I think one of the 'dangers' (though that is a bit strong) of the reddit model is that - as it is currently made up - the fountain pen group is all so young and so new that it becomes a self-reinforcing echo chamber. Without a broad mix of users, especially those with experience, I see a LOT of misinformation simply get amplified and made routine, with unfortunate circumstances for the future. Yes, it could likely happen anywhere, but without a convenient memory (reddit really *is* of the moment), it is really hard to counteract the herd mentality. But it is what it is. All things change.

~ Benjamin Franklin