Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

Thanks
    Thanked 6,443 Times in 2,523 Posts

Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

Why does FPN block links to posts and photos on FPGeeks? I've had to re-upload photos onto FPN instead of a simple link.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Baisao (November 11th, 2020), Jon Szanto (November 11th, 2020), Ray-VIgo (November 24th, 2020)

Thanks

I got turned off FPN when i noticed perfectly innocuous posts disappearing. I wondered what else was being pruned. I didn’t post there for many years.

FPN seems to have changed lately. I don’t find as much useful information there. Of course, that could just be me drifting away from the fountain pen mainstream. Or the other way around. I think i have some fairly typical fp nerd interests: vintage German pens & American pens up to the 51 with some exceptions for some modern gems like the Targa, Imperial & 1st yr 75. I have no interest in glitter inks or the six millionth shade of mauve. People getting into fps these days seem more into the inks and modern pens.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

corgicoupe (November 29th, 2020)

Thanks

Is it some kind of violation to link to a pic I loaded on FPN from this site? Say two or three times over the years?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    I know logic is not your strong suit. And I know you struggle with harsh realities when presented. But I find your suggestion that I have intimated murder to be the ranting of a simpleton.

I, fortunately, don't give a whit what you think should or should not be condoned.

Probably best you retreat quietly into your Mary Poppins world.
    I think I'm beginning to get the idea of this forum.

Haven't really had any bad experience at FPN so far, just a vague impression of a gentleman's club where they frown at you over the tops of their broadsheets if you make too much noise.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 397 Posts

Some folks cross post in an effort to get more eyeballs. But most people start by bringing up the most recent posts, rather than open each forum, one at a time. That's what I've always done on any forum. That being the case, double/cross posting is likely unnecessary.

One of the reasons for discouraging cross posting is that it fragments the information. Some people may read one thread and not the other, or may feel that they need to reply in both. It is possible to combine the two posts into one thread, or just eliminate the one that has no replies to minimize confusion.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

A Smug Dill (November 11th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    I know logic is not your strong suit. And I know you struggle with harsh realities when presented. But I find your suggestion that I have intimated murder to be the ranting of a simpleton.

I, fortunately, don't give a whit what you think should or should not be condoned.

Probably best you retreat quietly into your Mary Poppins world.
    I think I'm beginning to get the idea of this forum.

Haven't really had any bad experience at FPN so far, just a vague impression of a gentleman's club where they frown at you over the tops of their broadsheets if you make too much noise.
    You're probably kidding, but I've been here every day for five months and this is the first time I've seen anything like that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

azkid (November 11th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    One of the reasons for discouraging cross posting is that it fragments the information. Some people may read one thread and not the other, or may feel that they need to reply in both. It is possible to combine the two posts into one thread, or just eliminate the one that has no replies to minimize confusion.
    That exactly. As a consumer of the information, it makes it easier to find and make sense of information when it's not fragmented all over. Over time this makes for a better curated reference, even if it means that in the short term somebody gets their feelings hurt.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Some folks cross post in an effort to get more eyeballs. But most people start by bringing up the most recent posts, rather than open each forum, one at a time. That's what I've always done on any forum. That being the case, double/cross posting is likely unnecessary.

Yes, I have noticed double posting. I agree with eliminating to reduce the confusion. I know or thought I knew you are/were a moderator on FPN and appreciate your efforts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I've had a much different and thus a more positive experience on FPN that some of you have. It is unfortunate that the site is being impuned here. A forum is only as good as the members's attitudes allow.

Last year I got interested in GMRS radios and signed up on a discussion forum. Because two of the long term members didn't respond to others who were just getting started in a friendly or helpful way, I stopped participating.
    I too have had good experiences on FPN. 'Bad mouthing' it or any forum is non-productive. I moderated one (non-pen) info/discussion group for years before the owners closed the site. I currently moderate two other common interest sites, neither of which is pen related. As a moderator, I suggest that problems should be addressed in an PM to the Mods. That's the 'grown-up' way of dealing with 'issues'. I will add that a websites' personality (for want of a better word) is a product the people who make it up -- the members and the moderators . With that one will always find a diverse group, and some members who are 'gold' and a few that are annoying -- or worse. Letting the Mods know about the occasional 'problem child' is the best solution to that as well.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (November 11th, 2020), Yazeh (November 14th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Sometimes you get small groups within a membership that have an undue influence or effect on the site itself. That was notable over there among mods and members, and it is notable here among members too. It is perhaps inevitable when you assemble a disparate group of people that some coalescence occurs, often along the axes of perceived superiority or the myth of longevity equalling experience. A human trait to be sure.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; November 11th, 2020 at 01:19 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

bunyip (November 11th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,443 Times in 2,523 Posts

Some of the FPN double posting seems to be an error of some sort attributable to FPN. It is not uncommon to see two or more identical threads appear one after the other.

Thanks

There's a fair amount of posting across websites - I see the exact same threads started here and then on FPN. I guess that's not what is meant by cross posting (?) and see no harm in this at least.

Thanks

Double posting: (accidentally, due to the long load time on FPN) posting the same thread in the same board

Cross posting: deliberately posting the same thread across different boards (on the same forum), to increase the chance of replies.

The former could in large part be fixed via technology. The latter is a behavioural issue that requires moderation.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

A Smug Dill (November 11th, 2020), FredRydr (November 11th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    Letting the Mods know about the occasional 'problem child' is the best solution to that as well.
    Which makes the challenges, here, all the more significant, as the forum operates without, for all intents and purposes, moderation. A post reported to the owner via the Report button, especially if it is spam, will usually get a silent response. Beyond that, it is pretty much self-moderating around here, and has been for years. We persevere.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I ventured too far once and was well chastised. Looking back, I profited from the other members.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Sometimes you get small groups within a membership that have an undue influence or effect on the site itself. That was notable over there among mods and members, and it is notable here among members too. It is perhaps inevitable when you assemble a disparate group of people that some coalescence occurs, often along the axes of perceived superiority or the myth of longevity equalling experience. A human trait to be sure.
    Check my DM, brother, for what I think about you-know-who who said you-know-what.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Check my DM, brother, for what I think about you-know-who who said you-know-what.
    Nothing in my Inbox

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Nothing in my Inbox
    Sorry, just fiddling around with your idea of fpg cliques

I'm not worried about this place or FPN. I like them both for different reasons. I've always played in different friend groups.

Thanks

Me too. There's nothing significantly different between the two sites IMO. Even though I got booted I still regularly visit.

Thanks

I am surprised that so many people use the same name on different forums. Though I do understand building a reputation. For me, different forums have different personalties and each calls for a different persona. It is the internet after all, nothing is diffferent than what you make it - there is no reality. I float back and forth. There is good information on both sites.