Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast

Thread: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

Thanks

Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaine View Post
    According to that site... Mastiffs are flatulent and can clear a room fast when they pass gas.

Same as the FPG Massive.

They can even clear a room when they talk about pens,

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgaine View Post
    According to that site... Mastiffs are flatulent and can clear a room fast when they pass gas.

Same as the FPG Massive.

They can even clear a room when they talk about pens,
    I'd say *especially* when talking about pens.

This thread being one (glaring) example.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Sounds for a Saturday morning...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

guyy (February 27th, 2021)

Thanks

Thanks for digging that up, Jon. My mind took me that way, too: from Massive FPG to Massive Attack. I have to confess that one of the Elisabeth Fraser tracks from that album came to mind first, but that's only because it has some chance personal associations that really have nothing to do with the music or anything being discussed here.

I always liked Horace Andy, and his tracks on Massive Attack's albums were consistently high points on their records. Is that him in the Nehru collar i the video? I can't recall what he looked like c 1998.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 28th, 2021), Jon Szanto (February 27th, 2021), manoeuver (March 4th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I love the way that Jon can always come up with exceptional posts that have the effect of stopping almost any argument in it's tracks before it even gets started. It's like a breath of fresh air on here.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

eachan (February 28th, 2021), Jon Szanto (February 28th, 2021), manoeuver (March 4th, 2021), Ole Juul (February 28th, 2021), penwash (February 28th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I love the way that Jon can always come up with exceptional posts that have the effect of stopping almost any argument in it's tracks before it even gets started. It's like a breath of fresh air on here.
    It’s good someone appreciates because for me it never makes much sense.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Chuck, really?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Chuck, really?
    Grinches gunna grinch, bro
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

I just don’t get it. Sorry, I tend to be a free thinker. My bad 😊

Thanks

Ok everyone, let's just go easy...

Chrissy, thanks for the nice kudo but as the last few posts show, I'm no more infallible than the next person. In an attempt to build bridges and tamp down fires, I took note of Chuck's mention of the Harley-Davidson world and tied it in to fountain pens. I thought it might mean something to Chuck, an indication that - at the bottom of it all - we're in this thing together.

I have missed my mark, maybe not in intention but in the thinking that I knew someone well enough to make that outreach. It didn't seem to have the intended effect. One can only do so much, and I hope that Chuck will take a look back at those posts in the above light, I don't make any predictions. I hope one day he'll see it for what it is. Until then, I'm trying not to rise to any baiting and holding back as much as I can, because there is just so much crap in the world I don't want to add any more.

This coming week is the one year anniversary of the last time I played live music for an audience. I have never gone this long in well over 50 years without contact, through music, to other people. It is not easy and it has affected me in ways seen and unseen. I'm cautiously, carefully optimistic for something later this year, but we have been changed. Playing through these changes with compassion for others is my goal, now and in the future.

Be good to each other.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

catbert (February 28th, 2021), Chrissy (March 1st, 2021), eachan (March 1st, 2021), Ole Juul (February 28th, 2021), penwash (March 1st, 2021), Pterodactylus (February 28th, 2021)

Thanks

It's like a breath of fresh air on here.
    Oh, do go on! I put my pants on, one leg at a time, just like everyone else. But I hope I never lose faith...

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

I have never gone this long in well over 50 years without contact, through music, to other people. It is not easy and it has affected me in ways seen and unseen. I'm cautiously, carefully optimistic for something later this year, but we have been changed.

We have been changed, yes, but we will change again. Wounds scar over, we heal and regenerate...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 28th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    It's like a breath of fresh air on here.
    Oh, do go on! I put my pants on, one leg at a time, just like everyone else. But I hope I never lose faith...
    Hold on to your faith

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 28th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 1st, 2021)

Thanks

Jon, you are at the head of the small group of people who make it worthwhile to keep coming to FPGeeks.

Your last paragraph: you do have my sympathy! In a way I'm fortunate in that I'm on haemodialysis which means that I leave the house three times a week and spend four hours with nurses and other patients who are a sort of extended family. Poor Deb doesn't have even that. As we have been shielding because of my health, it's otherwise a very narrow world that we inhabit.

We've both been immunised now which means we can begin cautiously venturing abroad within the terms of the continuing lockdown. We will reopen Deb's sales website in a week or so. Going to the Post Office to send out pens will seem quite an adventure. Seeing other people (masked and two metres away) will be a relief. We were beginning to go a little stir crazy. Pens and reading and studying and video conferencing can only go so far. As a species we are by nature a gregarious lot and begin to be deprived by solitude. Hang in there! There is light at the end of the tunnel.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 1st, 2021), Jon Szanto (March 1st, 2021), manoeuver (March 4th, 2021), penwash (March 1st, 2021), Pterodactylus (March 1st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Indeed, Jon's posts are often a good laugh and brighten a day.

As for isolation, there are those that enjoy it and those for whom it grinds. Sometimes we don't get a choice. For example, for me I spend perhaps 24-26 days of each month at home alone, in a silent house - obviously this is before and after the working day, so there is that, but home life is solitary. For a married man this is difficult, and I am sure it is just as difficult for my wife who does the same in another town about 90 minutes drive away. We've been doing this for 4 years now, and we make it work for us (as best we can) by having daily conversations via video calls where we can just chat or work on problems that most house owners will have. It's obviously not ideal, but really it comes down to attitude and adaptability. In an odd way it has immeasurably strengthened our relationship.

Covid-19 is a worry, even though we are in good shape here in NZ. I am in the vulnerable population and my wife is an essential frontline healthcare professional. Still, it is what it is I suppose.

My biggest problem in isolation is that - as I've come to realise and mentioned elsewhere - I am easily led when it comes to buying stuff. Not essential stuff, just interesting stuff. I posted that I was considering an Aurora pen (modern). This is because of the reviews of others, not because I am intrinsically drawn to the brand. I posted elsewhere about upgrading my camera - which is perfectly functional - because I read a few forums that suggested this progression. Pen cases - from FC in leather (because it was LE, and I guess FOMO played a part), leather Galen wrap, Nock Co case, and so on - not that I need any of these, and even having options doesn't spark joy.

I pursued Parker 51 pens because lots of people promoted them, and in frustration ended up being something of a burden to Todd (Farmboy) - who has been exceptionally kind and deserves quite the apology from me. Sorry, Todd, I am one major pain in the ass and feel quite ashamed to have imposed on you the way I did.

And on and on. [by the way, I in no way blame anyone for being an influencer. I see enthusiasm in another person as just that]

It is only because of a moderate degree of self-control coupled with a large dollop of shame that I haven't frittered away an embarrassing amount of money (relatively speaking, of course). And knowing what my wife would say about it - or perhaps not say, which would be worse - is an additional check. And yet the temptation is always there. It is a problem I have to deal with regularly, and in one respect have to accept that really quite enormous swathes of FPs are out of bounds (due to price) or otherwise an unwise pursuit (due to not having friends in the pen world, or other resources).

Anyway, still haven't inked up the NOS vintage Aurora 88, Jon. Should take the plunge! (pun intended).

In terms of future pens I am turning more toward interesting nibs that I will actually use. The Pilot elabo and PO nibs excite me, for example. Then again, I recently bought a transitional Estie J in copper - to replace the one I gifted to Chrissy a while ago. It has a NOS 9668 nib which is supposed to be a medium but actually writes finer (maybe that's a vintage medium?) and wonderfully smoothly. It helps that the pen is in stunning condition too. But I digress.

Bit of a waffle, sometimes it's just good to get it out there.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; March 1st, 2021 at 02:15 PM.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Morgaine (March 1st, 2021), Pterodactylus (March 1st, 2021), TSherbs (March 1st, 2021)

Thanks

As has been said above, COVID has changed us, the world in which we live, and even how we live. Perhaps I am fortunate in that while I love being with, and sharing time and experiences with, family, friends, and acquaintances, I am comfortable with my own company. With that, the forced solitude that has been imposed upon us is tolerable.

Yet, I look into the future prayerfully anticipating a glimmer of the light at the end of the tunnel Eechan spoke of.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (March 1st, 2021), Jon Szanto (March 1st, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eachan View Post
    I - and several others - commented in the the thread about the offensive ads. Wim "disappeared" the comments and locked the thread. That's what gets my back up with FPN. Wim's sheer bloody arrogance in daring to take down other people's comments. FPN wouldn't exist without our input! I think they can do without mine in future.
    He is also less than discreet about former and/or banned FPN members and the reasons for their removal, and that includes people on this thread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    As has been said above, COVID has changed us, the world in which we live, and even how we live. Perhaps I am fortunate in that while I love being with, and sharing time and experiences with, family, friends, and acquaintances, I am comfortable with my own company. With that, the forced solitude that has been imposed upon us is tolerable.

Yet, I look into the future prayerfully anticipating a glimmer of the light at the end of the tunnel Eechan spoke of.
    It's eachan, old bloke. It's pronounced like "yachan", with the guttural German/Scottish "ch". It's a Gaelic name, said to be the equivalent of Hector but I'm never very sure of those equivalences.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

penwash (March 1st, 2021)

Thanks

My apologies for my faulty typing.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

eachan (March 2nd, 2021)