Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 760 of 839

Thread: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

  1. #741
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,370
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 564 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

    If they block the blockers, I will likely greatly reduce my visits there. I am close to ending several of my youtube subscriptions, too: the ads have become intrusive and impalatable to me. I try to help some folks get a little money for their efforts, but I am growing weary of the entire arrangement.

    Others can go for it.

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

    carlos.q (February 22nd, 2021), Jon Szanto (February 22nd, 2021), Ole Juul (February 22nd, 2021), Ray-VIgo (February 23rd, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (February 22nd, 2021)

  3. #742
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Clinging desperately to planet Earth
    Posts
    210
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 249 Times in 139 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    If they block the blockers, I will likely greatly reduce my visits there. I am close to ending several of my youtube subscriptions, too: the ads have become intrusive and impalatable to me. I try to help some folks get a little money for their efforts, but I am growing weary of the entire arrangement.

    Others can go for it.
    I agree with you. The constant intrusion of advertising is ruining the internet experience. It's almost like trying to have a private conversation on a party line (the younger members may have to Google 'Party line') of the bad old days of the 1950s with every other party line member butting in to add a comment or two.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

    Jon Szanto (February 22nd, 2021)

  5. #743
    Senior Member RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    120
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 146 Times in 77 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

    Assurances.

    Not worth a damn. A customer services rep at my energy supplier gave me a guarantee that in future they would get the billing right. I asked what that guarantee meant if they continue to bill me at the wrong rate, would they compensate?

    Any malware carried on the back of the FPN ad agency approved advertisement would be for the user to sort out. Any assurance from Wim that that they had done everything possible to prevent loss or damage to your computer is worth precisely nothing at the end of the day.

    FPN, by its own admission, is a long way from what it used to be, if it wants to make life difficult then it can FRO.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; February 23rd, 2021 at 03:11 AM.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

    Jon Szanto (February 22nd, 2021)

  7. #744
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Tennessee USA
    Posts
    819
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 467 Times in 300 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

    I have not encountered the ads or moderation on FPN. What am I doing wrong? LOL!!

    There have been some good discussions recently about the new Parker 51. There are some nice members there.

  8. #745
    Senior Member Pterodactylus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2,904
    Thanks
    1,490
    Thanked 3,073 Times in 1,284 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I have not encountered the ads or moderation on FPN. What am I doing wrong? LOL!!

    There have been some good discussions recently about the new Parker 51. There are some nice members there.
    Does not surprise me, the iron fisted moderation/censoring there is fast and they wipe any traces out (like post modifying, post deletion, up to thread deletion, muting people that they canít post anymore (but still show as active and not banned),.... so they have big arsenal to use).
    So if you do not observe such a thing in real time you will most likely never know.

    ..... until it hit yourself......

  9. #746
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Tennessee USA
    Posts
    819
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 467 Times in 300 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I have not encountered the ads or moderation on FPN. What am I doing wrong? LOL!!

    There have been some good discussions recently about the new Parker 51. There are some nice members there.
    Does not surprise me, the iron fisted moderation/censoring there is fast and they wipe any traces out (like post modifying, post deletion, up to thread deletion, muting people that they canít post anymore (but still show as active and not banned),.... so they have big arsenal to use).
    So if you do not observe such a thing in real time you will most likely never know.

    ..... until it hit yourself......
    Maybe. More likely, I am able to play nice in the sand box.

  10. #747
    Senior Member Pterodactylus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2,904
    Thanks
    1,490
    Thanked 3,073 Times in 1,284 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I have not encountered the ads or moderation on FPN. What am I doing wrong? LOL!!

    There have been some good discussions recently about the new Parker 51. There are some nice members there.
    Does not surprise me, the iron fisted moderation/censoring there is fast and they wipe any traces out (like post modifying, post deletion, up to thread deletion, muting people that they canít post anymore (but still show as active and not banned),.... so they have big arsenal to use).
    So if you do not observe such a thing in real time you will most likely never know.

    ..... until it hit yourself......
    Maybe. More likely, I am able to play nice in the sand box.
    Maybe, maybe not....... (a simple harmless drawing lead to my termination there, I also thought I play nice with the others in the sand box) 🤪

  11. #748
    Member Johnny_S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    89
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 51 Times in 32 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

    Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    I have to admit that when I've -- figuratively speaking -- 'looked in' to see what was happening on FPN lately, I've noticed that the self-appointed PC police waste little time ganging up on anyone with a diverse opinion or humour they personally find objectionable. With that, I have to agree with previous comments (when the site was down) alluding that tolerance is not a feature of FPN.
    They have no sense of humour. I told the joke about the ex boyfriend texting his former girlfriend saying he had walked past a florist and saw some red roses and thought of his former love, knowing that the red rose was her favourite. She texted back 'I have been out for lunch and had baby carrots and thought of you. Bye'

    That joke lasted all of 5 minutes on FPN.

    I don't know any other forum that makes money demands like FPN, I may be stoopid but I cannot see why I should pay to read that some joker disagrees with my pen or ink choice.

  12. #749
    Senior Member Ray-VIgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    353
    Thanks
    98
    Thanked 209 Times in 113 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    If they block the blockers, I will likely greatly reduce my visits there. I am close to ending several of my youtube subscriptions, too: the ads have become intrusive and impalatable to me. I try to help some folks get a little money for their efforts, but I am growing weary of the entire arrangement.

    Others can go for it.
    That's about where I am on it, as well. In many places where you have to turn off AdBlock, the ads then fill the page and drown the content.

    And some of these YouTube channels are getting really bad. I watch one repair and restoration channel that is down to ads every 5 minutes. It actually becomes difficult to watch the channel. Other channels have managed very well - just one ad at the beginning, and usually it's done by the content creator himself reading script (thinking of Mark Felton Productions, for example).

  13. #750
    Senior Member eachan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Highlands of Scotland
    Posts
    238
    Thanks
    400
    Thanked 341 Times in 151 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

    I - and several others - commented in the the thread about the offensive ads. Wim "disappeared" the comments and locked the thread. That's what gets my back up with FPN. Wim's sheer bloody arrogance in daring to take down other people's comments. FPN wouldn't exist without our input! I think they can do without mine in future.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

    Johnny_S (February 23rd, 2021), Jon Szanto (February 23rd, 2021)

  15. #751
    Member Johnny_S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    89
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 51 Times in 32 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

    Quote Originally Posted by eachan View Post
    I - and several others - commented in the the thread about the offensive ads. Wim "disappeared" the comments and locked the thread. That's what gets my back up with FPN. Wim's sheer bloody arrogance in daring to take down other people's comments. FPN wouldn't exist without our input! I think they can do without mine in future.
    I thought about putting forwards an alternative, creating a new part on the idea of Marketplace where pen, ink and paper companies can have announce new products, provide links to their websites, do whatever they wish all within a commercial area instead of jamming up the site with adware and annoying the hell out of people who are there to contribute. Payment could be via an annual fee with a top up of pay per click on their website, as happens with energy and insurance comparison sites.

    Given the fact that I have been told to clear off I thought sod it, you can go your own way.

  16. #752
    Senior Member Ole Juul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Coalmont, BC, Canada
    Posts
    333
    Thanks
    474
    Thanked 328 Times in 175 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

    To those complaining about Youtube ads. There's a Youtube ad blocker that works very well. It's called AdBlocker for YouTubeô.

    In fact I hadn't seen ads on Youtube for some years and completely forgotten until I sat down at a computer with an old version of Firefox and saw just how bad the ads had gotten over time. Some of the ads are minutes long! Almost feature length.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

    TSherbs (February 23rd, 2021)

  18. #753
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,357
    Thanks
    3,666
    Thanked 6,469 Times in 2,621 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

    Quote Originally Posted by eachan View Post
    I - and several others - commented in the the thread about the offensive ads. Wim "disappeared" the comments and locked the thread. That's what gets my back up with FPN. Wim's sheer bloody arrogance in daring to take down other people's comments. FPN wouldn't exist without our input! I think they can do without mine in future.
    So if I have this right Wim runs a forum where members pay in order to be able to contribute yet he and his cohorts can just disappear input that they have in fact paid to provide, at any time. That's a neat trick.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    Chemyst (Yesterday), eachan (February 23rd, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (February 23rd, 2021)

  20. #754
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    339
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 188 Times in 100 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

    I checked for myself and I have 0 warnings. Which comes as a surprise to me, because I feel like I should have gotten some for some of my posts. Some people I just can't stomach on FPN.

    The ads are much. The site is barely readable. Or at least it was the last time I visited it without an ad blocker, which was a long time ago.

    The problem I have with these divisions is, that I just don't think this community is large enough for them. Then again, I feel like forums are slowly dying out in general.

  21. #755
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 112 Times in 75 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

    Quote Originally Posted by eachan View Post
    I think they can do without mine in future.
    As they could have in the past.

  22. #756
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 112 Times in 75 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    So if I have this right Wim runs a forum where members pay in order to be able to contribute...
    Nope, you don't.

  23. #757
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    2,857
    Thanks
    3,674
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,045 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

    Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
    I checked for myself and I have 0 warnings. Which comes as a surprise to me, because I feel like I should have gotten some for some of my posts. Some people I just can't stomach on FPN.

    The ads are much. The site is barely readable. Or at least it was the last time I visited it without an ad blocker, which was a long time ago.

    The problem I have with these divisions is, that I just don't think this community is large enough for them. Then again, I feel like forums are slowly dying out in general.
    I don't see where they display warnings. Or perhaps I am too saintly to get any.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

    And my other blog is a tumblr!


    Dr. Inkenstein--it was a dark and stormy write!

  24. #758
    Senior Member Empty_of_Clouds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Aotearoa/New Zealand
    Posts
    2,290
    Thanks
    555
    Thanked 1,858 Times in 863 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

    On your profile page, left-hand side.
    Eternal silence of the Sea

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

    TSherbs (February 23rd, 2021)

  26. #759
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    2,857
    Thanks
    3,674
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,045 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    On your profile page, left-hand side.
    Thanks!

    See? I AM saintly! 😜
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

    And my other blog is a tumblr!


    Dr. Inkenstein--it was a dark and stormy write!

  27. #760
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,301
    Thanks
    5,826
    Thanked 8,513 Times in 3,152 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: FPG Refuges Status Area: The 2020 FPN Diaspora

    Take a look how long this shit hangs around. Best part is that the mod (GP) wrote me privately that it wasn't really my fault...

    warn.jpg
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •