Thread: Identifying Almost-Unmarked Ballpoint

Thanks

Question Identifying Almost-Unmarked Ballpoint

Good evening!

I was referred to this forum by a member of a local pen shop, because they couldn't identify. I was told I could still ask to identify a ballpoint here, so I really hope that's alright.

I found this twist ballpoint in a bin at work, about two years ago. It's 5.25" from end to end. It came with a dated-looking green "A.T. Cross Company" ink filler, which I replaced with a modern Cross Fine Black refill. Worth noting that the green ink also said "LINCOLN, R.I. MEDIUM", but that seems like the home state of Cross. I took it into a pen shop to identify, because the only markings (other than what I thought was a big hint at the time, having an "A.T. Cross Company" fill in it) are the "USA" and the "P" found on the clip.

It's wonderfully thin and small, and in case something happens to this one, I was wondering what I might look for to find a similar (or the same) pen.

Thanks in advance, and I hope this is the right place to ask.

The lighting also doesn't do the brushed silver/steel color justice, but the clip is tinged slightly golden.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by reilavehc; November 11th, 2020 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Identifying Almost-Unmarked Ballpoint

Here’s a start I think:

https://www.pens.co.uk/pen2paper/wp-...ss-Company.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,015 Posts

I would venture to say that the pen probably wasn't made by Cross. It doesn't look like any Cross pen I've seen images of.
    There were many ballpoints made that accept Cross refills as those refills don't need an internal spring inside the pen.
    It's probably a US company that had a stock of ballpoints made at some point and they marked the clips with a P branding.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I would venture to say that the pen probably wasn't made by Cross. It doesn't look like any Cross pen I've seen images of.
    There were many ballpoints made that accept Cross refills as those refills don't need an internal spring inside the pen.
    It's probably a US company that had a stock of ballpoints made at some point and they marked the clips with a P branding.
    Thank you for your insight. Does this mean it is likely some sort of generic-brand or unbranded stock pen? I've run through a lot of images of brand pens like Cross, Parker, Muji, Lamy, etc; and found nothing that quite matched it. I also didn't know that Cross refills were so versatile!

I did find this on a govt. installation, so maybe it was some bulk contract buy and I may yet find luck searching that way.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,015 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reilavehc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Thank you for your insight. Does this mean it is likely some sort of generic-brand or unbranded stock pen? I've run through a lot of images of brand pens like Cross, Parker, Muji, Lamy, etc; and found nothing that quite matched it. I also didn't know that Cross refills were so versatile!

I did find this on a govt. installation, so maybe it was some bulk contract buy and I may yet find luck searching that way.
    Yes it's likely to be some sort of generic-brand or unbranded stock pen. These can be the pens that companies use or they can also be commissioned by companies as gifts for employees or customers.

For example, when you go to car showrooms, they have pens and other items for sale that they have had made for them with their branding on them.

You will always be able to find a similar slim pen should you need to.
    Last edited by Chrissy; November 13th, 2020 at 12:01 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens