Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pens that post

Thanks

Default Re: Pens that post

Quote Originally Posted by mana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    For what it's worth, the Pelikan M200 (or 205) seems to post very securely compared to other pens I've used.
    Concur, same applies to M400 and the vintage Pelikans. They post extremely securely without the need (or feeling) that you need to jam or shoehorn them in. Not metal though...
    There's the M215 with its metal barrel. Wouldn't describe it as a metal pen, but it does offer that bit of extra weight. However, whether it'd be within the OP's budget...
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seattleite View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    Such a basic function should be a given, and I hope you find a good solution. Perhaps it is just that one, and not representative of the lot, but that is usually not the case with production items. Good luck.

Bob
    I'm glad you like posting, and I see you feel strongly about it. Good for you. On the other hand, I never post, and as it turns out in a recent thread, apparently many other people don't either. I am not alone. Looking for a cap on the floor is completely out of my sphere of experience, but we're all different and that's a good thing.
    Forgot to add... Isn't the whole point of this thread that the OP would like the pen to post securely?

Bob
    I couldn't agree more, and I don't want to derail this thread too much either. But I still don't think that posting is a basic function of a fountain pen, regardless of who wants to do it or who doesn't. I guess we disagree on basic functions, and that's just fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

A Smug Dill (November 11th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I tested my Pilot Metropolitan earlier and it posts very securely and has a metal barrel.

Thanks

Such a basic function should be a given, and I hope you find a good solution. Perhaps it is just that one, and not representative of the lot, but that is usually not the case with production items. Good luck.

Bob
    I'm glad you like posting, and I see you feel strongly about it. Good for you. On the other hand, I never post, and as it turns out in a recent thread, apparently many other people don't either. I am not alone. Looking for a cap on the floor is completely out of my sphere of experience, but we're all different and that's a good thing.
    Forgot to add... Isn't the whole point of this thread that the OP would like the pen to post securely?

Bob
    I couldn't agree more, and I don't want to derail this thread too much either. But I still don't think that posting is a basic function of a fountain pen, regardless of who wants to do it or who doesn't. I guess we disagree on basic functions, and that's just fine.
    Most modern two part roller ball/ BP pens or pen that don't click are posted. Even the BIC Crystal is posted. I would think the same is true for vintage fountain pens. However, since dip pens were not capped, I could see why FP's were not posted early on. A friend said he was taught to hold the cap in the none writing hand. Some of my collection post better than others. Whether someone else posts or not is not a point I choose to make an issue.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

pocketses (January 20th, 2021), Seattleite (November 12th, 2020)

Thanks

Posting is as old as fountain pens. Actually it is older, appearing on some of the stylographics which predate the fountain pen proper. It seems concurrent with the very first reservoir pens, as a natural accommodation for a removable cap which exposed the inky writing tip. From these earliest beginnings, pens were designed and marketed to be postable. The taper cap fountain pen of the 1880's was absolutely designed to be posted, as that is how it emulated the long tail of the still popular dip pen. I think that it is a pretty basic function that rises to the level of reasonable expectation. Other opinions may vary.

I would add that the list of pens designed not to post is pretty short. Perhaps ring-tops worn on a lanyard, desk pens, and those pens which are more some sort of visual statement than practical writing instrument. Don't scuff the Urushi, bruh!

Bob

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Seattleite For This Useful Post:

pocketses (January 20th, 2021)

Thanks

I can't count how many times I have launched a posted Parker 45 Flighter's poor cap off into the stratosphere.

However, the plastic barrel 45s post quite snugly and provide a nice weight to the pen while writing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NumberSix For This Useful Post:

Seattleite (December 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Several Cross pens have to click posted to stay posted.

Thanks

Numerous British low-cost pens of the 1920s have the end of the barrel threaded to post very securely. Strange that the feature was never taken up in better pens. The only well-known manufacturer to use it was Conway Stewart, in the Scribe, the very cheapest of their pens.

Thanks

Could that be because there was an impression that high end purchasers preferred aesthetics to practicality?

Thanks

Yes, did not get embraced by many makers over here. I have one of the early Waterman safety pens, which has a threaded end which doubles as the nib advance/retract knob. Being cut on such a narrow flange, they proved too vulnerable, and the threaded feature is gone by 1911 or 1912 (according to David Nishimura's fine website, Vintagepens.com). A couple of mine that are North American are some hard rubber Eclipse's. Could be Canadian, or could be of US make. The tiny little Leboeuf ringtops , and a strange little Diamond point which is configured like a threaded Kaweco Sport are the only others that I have that come to mind.

Yes, I have seen some British pens with a threaded end. I repaired a small National Security for someone a while back. I think it was casein. Seems like the advantage for a small pen is that a minimal depth of "posting", nets a pen which is of useable length, and secure.

Just remembered the First couple year's Sheaffer's Tuckaway. I have a few of these, and their Achilles heel is one of soft celluloid barrel threads often being damaged by the sharp metal threads of the cap.

Bob

Thanks

Most of my use with any pen is to jot down a note or paragraph where I've developed the habit of holding the cap in the palm of the off hand. Eachan brought up the CS brand. My #84 is a small pen anyway. While I can, use upposted, I prefer to post.

When I am composing a card or letter, the cap is always posted.

Thanks

Yes, did not get embraced by many makers over here. I have one of the early Waterman safety pens, which has a threaded end which doubles as the nib advance/retract knob. Being cut on such a narrow flange, they proved too vulnerable, and the threaded feature is gone by 1911 or 1912 (according to David Nishimura's fine website, Vintagepens.com). A couple of mine that are North American are some hard rubber Eclipse's. Could be Canadian, or could be of US make. The tiny little Leboeuf ringtops , and a strange little Diamond point which is configured like a threaded Kaweco Sport are the only others that I have that come to mind.

Yes, I have seen some British pens with a threaded end. I repaired a small National Security for someone a while back. I think it was casein. Seems like the advantage for a small pen is that a minimal depth of "posting", nets a pen which is of useable length, and secure.

Just remembered the First couple year's Sheaffer's Tuckaway. I have a few of these, and their Achilles heel is one of soft celluloid barrel threads often being damaged by the sharp metal threads of the cap.

Bob
    These pens were common in the UK for a time during the twenties, never again thereafter. Most were advertising and giveaway pens. Almost all are made from the BCHR that does not fade, remaining as black and shiny as when they were made. They are well-made, no frills pens with small warranted nibs. Possible makers? Wyvern, maybe, but more likely some nameless shop that made a lot of money for a brief period and either went away or returned to making parts for other manufacturers. Anyway, threads are a pretty secure form of posting.