Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pens that post

Thanks

Default Pens that post

Just bought a Cross Bailey. Loved it. But the cap won’t post. Sorry...deal breaker for me.

Anything comparable that has a cap that will post that won’t break the bank? Too bad about Bailey. Perfect every other way.

Thanks

Default Re: Pens that post

metal Bailey or plastic Bailey?
    Because I thought the plastic one could post.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Cross, The Online Pen Company, and Cult Pens specifically mention that the Bailey posts and show pictures of it with it's cap posted.
    Last edited by Chrissy; November 9th, 2020 at 12:41 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

A Smug Dill (November 9th, 2020)

Thanks

Lamy Safari, Vista, or Al Star.

Thanks

Metal. Loved everything about it except the posting issue

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Cross, The Online Pen Company, and Cult Pens specifically mention that the Bailey posts and show pictures of it with it's cap posted.
    It does but comes off extremely easily. I want the cap to stay posted.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aquafox View Post
    metal Bailey or plastic Bailey?
    Because I thought the plastic one could post.
    Does it stay posted? I prefer metal but might buy a light

Thanks

Most pens post. They should post easily, securely, sit aligned, and not scar the barrel, nor split the cap. I would like to think that the wide intersection of friction coefficients and geometry have long been understood by the industry. Its not Rocket Science, though I'm pretty sure that if there is some critical doo-dad that plugs in on a moon shuttle, it stays plugged in. Outsourcing of production should leave the folks at Cross enough money to do some decent R&D... maybe even some quality control (gasp). My old 1980's gold filled Cross Century posted securely and scar free for years as a daily user, so Cross's backsliding is for a lack of bothering, I think. The small amount of change to inner cap lip, clutch, or taper of barrel would likely imperceptible, certainly less objectional to ones being than hunting around on the floor for a cap every time you want to write. Sorry, pet peeve.

Such a basic function should be a given, and I hope you find a good solution. Perhaps it is just that one, and not representative of the lot, but that is usually not the case with production items. Good luck.

Bob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seattleite View Post
    Such a basic function should be a given, and I hope you find a good solution. Perhaps it is just that one, and not representative of the lot, but that is usually not the case with production items. Good luck.

Bob
    I'm glad you like posting, and I see you feel strongly about it. Good for you. On the other hand, I never post, and as it turns out in a recent thread, apparently many other people don't either. I am not alone. Looking for a cap on the floor is completely out of my sphere of experience, but we're all different and that's a good thing.

Thanks

Parker Sonnet, Cross Century 2, Cross Century , Faber Castell Loom, Waterman Hemisphere, Visconti Rembrandt. Parker 45, Parker 51.

Thanks

I suppose it’s true that most pens post, but often I see offerings for pens with cracked caps or no cap available. 🤭🤭

Thanks

Let me just clarify. The cap will post but won’t stay immobile or fasten to the pen. It falls off, spins around, etc. from what I’ve now read, this is common and a flaw of an otherwise outstanding pen

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomicavols View Post
    Let me just clarify. The cap will post but won’t stay immobile or fasten to the pen. It falls off, spins around, etc. from what I’ve now read, this is common and a flaw of an otherwise outstanding pen
    And I see that in the advertising pictures of the Cross Bailey it is shown posted! I agree that is entirely wrong.

Thanks

LAMY Studio

Thanks

Given that all the ad copy shows it posted I would want my money back if it doesn't post in a way that's actually usable. Assuming you bought it new.

I used to always post. It seemed obvious. When I got into FPs I saw "do you post?" threads and thought they were dumb: how is YES not the answer and why the heck would anybody make a non-postable pen? But now I rarely post. I don't know if "most" pens post, but my more recent acquisitions risk scuffing the barrel when posted, or are unusably backheavy when posted, or just do not post period. So I've developed habits around not posting, and now it's unusual for me to post. If I'm using a pocket pen that requires posting I often have a weird moment of confusion: "why is this pen too short? oh, yeah, i have to post it!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XYZZY View Post
    Given that all the ad copy shows it posted I would want my money back if it doesn't post in a way that's actually usable. Assuming you bought it new.
    I think that's a fair point.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

For what it's worth, the Pelikan M200 (or 205) seems to post very securely compared to other pens I've used.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    For what it's worth, the Pelikan M200 (or 205) seems to post very securely compared to other pens I've used.
    Concur, same applies to M400 and the vintage Pelikans. They post extremely securely without the need (or feeling) that you need to jam or shoehorn them in. Not metal though... Also, on the previously mentioned pens that I have used daily (M200, 100N, 400, 400NN etc.) I haven't noticed any scuffing due to posting the caps even on my longest and most used EDC pens that I have used for few years in a row now.

Naturally, one might expect some wear if you post and unpost the cap several times a day over years and years (but yeah, so far so good).

Oh, almost forgot the Parker 51! That one posts in a similar fashion to the Pelikans.

I can post the Lustraloy (steel) or gold filled caps gently (they seat nicely with just pushing them on with two fingers). Shaking the pen up and down nib up is not enough to jolt the cap away, not even when I stop the downward motion abruptly with my other hand. Didn't try shaking super hard though as I do not want ink splatters around, especially on the white ceiling or walls...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post

Bob
    I'm glad you like posting, and I see you feel strongly about it. Good for you. On the other hand, I never post, and as it turns out in a recent thread, apparently many other people don't either. I am not alone. Looking for a cap on the floor is completely out of my sphere of experience, but we're all different and that's a good thing.
    My thought is that if a pen is designed to be postable, than it should do so to facilitate those who use their pens that way. Those who don't like to post are not adversely affected by this, and can continue to do with the cap whatever they desire. My stance merely allows everybody to use the pen as they like in the big post/no post controversy.

Bob

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seattleite For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (November 10th, 2020), pocketses (January 20th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post

Bob
    Forgot to add... Isn't the whole point of this thread that the OP would like the pen to post securely?

Bob

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Seattleite For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (November 10th, 2020)