Thread: Pilot Custom 823

Thanks

Default Pilot Custom 823

I recently bought a Pilot Custom 823 from someone local to me. The nib is a medium and though I prefer a fine, the guy was selling it on craigslist for $90. I had to get it. The nib is extremely smooth, though the upstrokes were very dry (to the point where there was no flow). After some adjustment I got the nib to a decent upstroke flow but the pen now writes a little too wet, and now I can really notice the difference between my other pens with a fine nib vs the 823's extra wet medium. I've adjusted it some more and it has helped a little, but the nib is still a medium and I find it sitting in my pen pouch more than I'd like.

So my question is... Should I send the nib off to get it ground to a fine and risk the absolutely lovely smoothness that it has? If so, who would you recommend that could return the pen just as smooth as it was stock. I have a Montblanc 149 that I personally don't think is nearly as smooth as this 823's nib and I'm worried that I may ruin a really nice nib by getting ground, so I'm wanting to make sure to send it to the best nibmeister I can find.

Thanks

Default Re: Pilot Custom 823

Michael Masuyama at mikeitwork.com.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GardenWeasel For This Useful Post:

spencerwilli (November 9th, 2020)

Thanks

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Or Gena at https://www.customnibstudio.com/. She spent a good amount of time working for John Mottishaw of nibs.com. I don't remember how long...maybe a couple of years? Definitely more than a summer internship though. John does great work but I get the feeling that you're going to wait in line longer if you're not buying the pen from him. Gena on the other hand is a nibmeister who is NOT also a retailer.

Nothing wrong with mikeitwork.com. He's got tons more experience, but check out Gena if Mike's queue is too long.