Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Waterman W2 doesn't fill properly....

  1. #1
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,583
    Thanks
    1,275
    Thanked 426 Times in 250 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Waterman W2 doesn't fill properly....

    I have a waterman W2 that I really like.

    Whenever, I clean it up, I remove the feed and the nib.
    However, when I insert the feed and nib back, I cannot fill it up completely.
    Actually, the ink fills up the feed and not higher. At least that’s my explanation. Because after a couple of days, it dries up.
    The sac is alright, by the way.
    My question: Is it because the feed is stuffed to the end or is there another reason….

    Thanks..

  2. #2
    Senior Member penwash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    2,972
    Thanks
    2,113
    Thanked 4,094 Times in 1,442 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Waterman W2 doesn't fill properly....

    Just so you know, removing the nib and feed is *not* part of a regular maintenance of a fountain pen.

    You should only do it when you are solving a problem with ink flow, or if you're replacing either the nib or feed or both.

    The issue of filling should be tested with water first. With the nib and feed in their place, what happen when you operate the lever? Do water get in and out of the sac or not?

    Only when you have confirmed that the lever/sac works with water, then you test it with ink.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

    Sailor Kenshin (November 9th, 2020), Yazeh (November 9th, 2020)

  4. #3
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,583
    Thanks
    1,275
    Thanked 426 Times in 250 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Waterman W2 doesn't fill properly....

    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Just so you know, removing the nib and feed is *not* part of a regular maintenance of a fountain pen.
    I assume what you say, pertains to vintage pens?
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    You should only do it when you are solving a problem with ink flow, or if you're replacing either the nib or feed or both.
    I wasn't aware of that. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

    The issue of filling should be tested with water first. With the nib and feed in their place, what happen when you operate the lever? Do water get in and out of the sac or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Only when you have confirmed that the lever/sac works with water, then you test it with ink.
    I did a water test. Several times. Between 12-14 drops of water were expelled each time.

  5. #4
    Senior Member penwash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    2,972
    Thanks
    2,113
    Thanked 4,094 Times in 1,442 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Waterman W2 doesn't fill properly....

    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    I assume what you say, pertains to vintage pens?
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    You should only do it when you are solving a problem with ink flow, or if you're replacing either the nib or feed or both.
    I wasn't aware of that. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    The issue of filling should be tested with water first. With the nib and feed in their place, what happen when you operate the lever? Do water get in and out of the sac or not?

    Only when you have confirmed that the lever/sac works with water, then you test it with ink.
    I did a water test. Several times. Between 12-14 drops of water were expelled each time.
    What I said about not removing nib and feed regularly, applies to all pens, vintage or modern. Nib and feed are never meant for constant removal, once it's setup to provide good ink flow, you don't want to mess with it again until/unless it stopped working.

    Only a few drops of water? There should be more.

    That indicates that the ink sac (and maybe lever) is not working properly. And there could be a few things that causes this issue.

    If the pen was restored recently by the seller (or someone hired by the seller), ask if you could send it back for a service.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

    eachan (November 10th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (November 9th, 2020)

  7. #5
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,583
    Thanks
    1,275
    Thanked 426 Times in 250 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Waterman W2 doesn't fill properly....

    I did a more precise experiment.
    0.9 ml to be precise....Maybe I was worried for nothing.....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •