Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Support small business

Thanks

Default Re: Support small business

If you are in North America and need some phenomenal soap (or lotion), I cannot recommend Goat Milk Stuff highly enough. This has been the only soap we've used for the past several years. It has done wonders for my family's skin and hair. Even if you don't buy anything, at least read their story. If you try their soap, though, you'll not be disappointed.
    Now through Monday, they're offering a discount on purchases as follows:
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreck For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 27th, 2021), Jon Szanto (November 28th, 2020)

Thanks

I can ride my bicycle to both a vintage grocery and hardware store less than 2 miles.....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 27th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    So, I needed hook & loop sandpaper for my oscillating multitool's "finger" attachment. The local brick & mortar hardware stores (all franchises now) had none. So I surrender and go to the big box DIY stores. Nope. I swallow hard and go into the notorious Harbor Freight, and thankfully they have none (probably would have delaminated on the first go). Alas, I turn to eBay which was cheaper than Amazon, and I was ripped off by a Chinese outfit that pretended it was a Rochester NY business, and delivered hardly a shadow of what it represented I was buying (refund confirmed after my careful turning of the screws). Defeated, I ordered online from Amazon yesterday. Today, less than 24 hours later, the Amazon van drops my order at the front door. It's all there!

How will small businesspeople compete?
    By knowing their local customer base far better than any big box store or distant online seller, and then curating their merchandise accordingly. I know of several local businesses that did very well using that approach. Many of these businesses are now gone, but they were torpedoed by astronomical commercial rents. Some local activists, known as NIMBYs, don't want any change, and that includes new high-rise office buildings. The result is a shortage of office space.

Ground level space is reserved for retail businesses by city ordinance, unless a tenant cannot be found. High-tech startups, flush with cash from venture capitalists, can afford high rents and the landlords know it. They offer the ground-level space at a sky high rent, which most businesses cannot afford. When no renter can be found, they are allowed to rent the space out to a tech company. Any existing tenant is allowed to renew at the higher rate, but usually they can't. A cutlery store, two art supply stores, two office supply stores, all gone or moved away. They had been in business 70-110 years, and were still successful. The same for a Japanese art store and framing service, and a second framing store, also several decades old. A bookstore, which owns its building, is thriving. A small hardware store, in an outlying area with lower rent, is also doing quite well even through big box stores are in the area. At least when they are allowed to remain open.

The two art stores, one of which was owned by a longtime pen collector, and the office supply stores all sold fountain pens. If I wanted a new pen or ink, I could walk a few blocks, buy it, and have it home 24 minutes later. Online can't compete with that.

Thanks

I add spam accounts like CrilMitic and AmySutherl to the ignore list on their first post.

Speaking of small business, Fountain Pen Hospital is open to walk in customers again.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 27th, 2021), Jon Szanto (June 8th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I can ride my bicycle to both a vintage grocery and hardware store less than 2 miles.....
    Vintage groceries don't sound very appealing...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BayesianPrior For This Useful Post:

dneal (October 29th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alipiama View Post
    Everyone should support small businesses!
    Except those that spam our forum.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (October 29th, 2021), Chrissy (October 29th, 2021)